lore catch-up before h5?

The halo lore has become so expansive, that I find myself asking the question. What to read first?
I don’t want to miss a thing when H5 comes out.
SO Escalation seems like an obvious must but, what books or other comics should I read prior to 10/27 to get the maximum halo story experience. I don’t want to come up short on the smallest reference. Those are some of the best parts.
(No spoilers please)
343 care to weigh in?

Idk man, I’ve just been reading Escalation and New Blood. Those are the only 2 lore things I’ve read, but I plan on reading most Halo novels that are released in future. I particularly look forward to Hunters in the Dark, which comes out in June (I think).

The forerunner trilogy is a good one too, gives you alot of back story. Broken circle is good if you wanna know more about how the covenant formed.

All ready started forruners saga looks like I have some reading to do. Plus it’s nice that all the new books are cannon. Unlike the older ones.

You’re going to want to have played Spartan Ops. Read the Forerunner trilogy, then the Kilo-Five trilogy, then escalation. Also read Broken Circle and New Blood plus anything else that comes out this year like Hunters in the Dark, Saints Testimony, The Shadow of Intent.

> 2533274816621715;4:
> All ready started forruners saga looks like I have some reading to do. Plus it’s nice that all the new books are cannon. Unlike the older ones.

Theres never been a non-canon halo book…

> 2533274816621715;4:
> All ready started forruners saga looks like I have some reading to do. Plus it’s nice that all the new books are cannon. Unlike the older ones.

Not to get too defensive on behalf of Eric Nylund, but the older books especially should be regarded as authoritative lore. Are there any books in particular that you’re thinking of when say that they’re not canon?

> 2533274823654350;6:
> > 2533274816621715;4:
> > All ready started forruners saga looks like I have some reading to do. Plus it’s nice that all the new books are cannon. Unlike the older ones.
>
>
> Theres never been a non-canon halo book…

Fall of reach? And all of its subsequent books first strike and ghosts of onyx. Unless reach is non cannon?

I like them regardless.

> 2533274816621715;8:
> > 2533274823654350;6:
> > > 2533274816621715;4:
> > > All ready started forruners saga looks like I have some reading to do. Plus it’s nice that all the new books are cannon. Unlike the older ones.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Theres never been a non-canon halo book…
>
>
>
> Fall of reach? And all of its subsequent books first strike and ghosts of onyx. Unless reach is non cannon?
>
> I like them regardless.

The end of Fall of Reach and some factual details are not considered official canon because the game Halo: Reach reworked some of those aspects. But there are many parts of Fall of Reach, especially in the first half of the book, that are still hardcore, super duper canon.

Where did you hear that First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx are no longer canon? AFAIK, everything in those books is still canon. Also many would say that they are the three best Halo novels, so it’d be kind of silly to turn them into fan fiction.

Forgot where I got it but, in onyx the stuff with how the Spartan 3s were made (again and again lol) wasn’t cannon. I distinctly remember in reach them talking about how it was Georges home planet and he was made a spartan their. Correct me if I’m wrong.
I agree, the other parts of the fall or reach were BA though.

> 2533274816621715;10:
> Forgot where I got it but, in onyx the stuff with how the Spartan 3s were made (again and again lol) wasn’t cannon. I distinctly remember in reach them talking about how it was Georges home planet and he was made a spartan their. Correct me if I’m wrong.
> I agree, the other parts of the fall or reach were BA though.

The Spartan IIs were made on Reach, the Spartan IIIs were made on Onyx. The Ghosts of Onyx storyline is very much canon.

Definite must reads:

• Forerunner Trilogy
  • Kilo-5 Trilogy
  • Escalation
  • Broken Circle, New Blood, and all the other novels coming out this year

Semi-related:

• Halo: Fall of Reach. Would read this just for the info and what not of the Spartan II program and the bits about Blue Team.

For fun (Books that are most likely to not have to do with Halo 5 but are still fun reads none the less):

• Flood
  • First Strike
  • Ghosts of Onyx
  • Contact Harvest
  • Cole Protocol

Edit: also I shouldn’t have to point out that you should play through all the campaigns on Halo: MCC.

> 2533274816621715;10:
> Forgot where I got it but, in onyx the stuff with how the Spartan 3s were made (again and again lol) wasn’t cannon. I distinctly remember in reach them talking about how it was Georges home planet and he was made a spartan their. Correct me if I’m wrong.
> I agree, the other parts of the fall or reach were BA though.

You’re right, but because George was the only Spartan-II on Noble Team. The rest came from their Spartan-III companies, the creation of which is detailed in Ghosts of Onyx and still canon.

Well that’s actually a good to know. Makes a lot more sense now. Do the members of chiefs team on reach and the one that made it to onyx with Dr Halsey (forgot their names) re a pear at some point somewhere else?

The Ghosts of Onyx story is continued in Glasslands.