Looking at the state of CE:A on PC...

… Infinite will suck.

343 tried to make us believe they care about Halo and releasing the MCC on PC without any issues like the release of MCC XONE.

Now after playing a few campaign missions I am disgusted. The sound is completely off, killing every little bit of immersion. Hitregistration is werid sometimes, although I can live with that. Enemies seem to behave different from the XONE version and they seem to have an overall greater lifepool. Maybe balancing from the original CE on PC?

Anyway, this build seems like it has been barely tested and the beta right before release wasn’t necessary at all, since they didn’t fix any issues anway.

All of that makes me believe that Halo Infinite is going to be bad. It’s still 343 and 343 has already shown multiple times, that they aren’t able to deliver what the franchise desirves.

I am ready to get my cheeks divided by fanboys. :slight_smile:

Isn’t that game essentially a port of a port of a port?

MCC doesn’t use the Xbox version of Halo CE, but the PC port, which was ported back for xbox, and MCC, and now it’s getting ported back again for PC.

That’s besides the point though.

I doubt any issues found in this MCC PC port will make its way to Infinite, as it is a new game, built from the start to work on both console and PC, the development procedure is most likely completely different.

That’s not to say there’s no chance they won’t mess it up.
If they do, I doubt we’ll be seeing Halo on PC again any time soon.

I don’t know for sure , as I don’t play on PC , however my first guess about the difficulty jump would be to compensate for the extreme accuracy of M&Kb. This could be completely inaccurate.
As far as sound and Hit registration , it’s 343. Porting over a fifteen year old game , I get you should expect better ; but it’s 343 so you should probably learn to limit your expectations.

Isn’t Halo : CE Anniversary still in its Beta’s phase ?

> 2533274795123910;2:
> Isn’t that game essentially a port of a port of a port?

A port of a port of a port of a 20 year old game. I get the cynicism from some, but as you said the status of CEA on PC has no bearing on Infinite’s release in my opinion. People love to nitpick the anniversary games but don’t understand the challenges of porting games that came out before the iPhone released. Technology has changed a lot which is why they’ve been building a new engine for years now. Don’t get me wrong there are still plenty of opportunities for things to go wrong with Infinite, but I think this is a non-issue (as it relates to the Infinite release).

The bigger issue at hand I think is 343’s propensity to take on multiple projects at once leading up to a big release. They did the same with MCC a year prior to Halo 5’s release, and now they’re busy MCC-ifying Reach and porting things to PC less than a year out from Infinite’s release date. I’m not entirely sure if they outsourced it this time or not, but the point still stands that 343 seems to be unable to focus all their resources on one thing at a time. Halo is Xbox’s flagship title and has already been projected as a console seller for Microsoft which is why I don’t understand why they don’t have all hands on deck leading up to this release.

What does “greater lifepool” mean?

Are things actually broken or just different?

> 2533274795123910;2:
> I doubt any issues found in this MCC PC port will make its way to Infinite, as it is a new game, built from the start to work on both console and PC, the development procedure is most likely completely different.

I think this is something that people don’t emphasize enough. Porting a game in incredibly difficult to often resulting in buts such as audio issues or even visual issue people often site that came along with the Gearbox version of Halo CE.

However, Infinite will be the first Halo FPS game built from scratch with PC in mind at release. I think that itself should warrant a slightly more positive outlook.

> 2533274927740213;7:
> > 2533274795123910;2:
> > I doubt any issues found in this MCC PC port will make its way to Infinite, as it is a new game, built from the start to work on both console and PC, the development procedure is most likely completely different.
>
> I think this is something that people don’t emphasize enough. Porting a game in incredibly difficult to often resulting in buts such as audio issues or even visual issue people often site that came along with the Gearbox version of Halo CE.
>
> However, Infinite will be the first Halo FPS game built from scratch with PC in mind at release. I think that itself should warrant a slightly more positive outlook.

Are you sure about Infinite not going to be a port? Since they use lots of resources for MCC, they may not have the manpower to optimize it for a good PC experience. On the other hand - does 343 know how to create a good PC experience at all?

> 2533274964373853;8:
> > 2533274927740213;7:
> > > 2533274795123910;2:
> > > I doubt any issues found in this MCC PC port will make its way to Infinite, as it is a new game, built from the start to work on both console and PC, the development procedure is most likely completely different.
> >
> > I think this is something that people don’t emphasize enough. Porting a game in incredibly difficult to often resulting in buts such as audio issues or even visual issue people often site that came along with the Gearbox version of Halo CE.
> >
> > However, Infinite will be the first Halo FPS game built from scratch with PC in mind at release. I think that itself should warrant a slightly more positive outlook.
>
> Are you sure about Infinite not going to be a port? Since they use lots of resources for MCC, they may not have the manpower to optimize it for a good PC experience. On the other hand - does 343 know how to create a good PC experience at all?

The publishing team is the only ones working on MCC at this time. 90% of 343’s development staff is working on Halo Infinite, hence why MCC updates take so long.

You guys also have to consider that 343i became enormous over the years. They got enough manpower to support the slipspace engine, H5’s mp, HW2 updates, Waypoint, the mobile apps, the extended universe and both the XSX and Steam development of Hi!

If something accour it might be more of a monetization and organizational problem. In fact 343i right now might be too big for their own good, but it’s a necessary evil for such a huge franchise. Manpower in any case is the last problem the studio faces!

Fact is as others have said these are very old games working with many different engines from already flawed sources like the Gearbox CE port (note I’m just going based on the vocal community, I’ve never had issues with MCC, even before it’s recent mega-fix state). Does it excuse the issues some are having? No, but given the task at hand, I think it’s understandable. The sad truth is 343 probably shouldn’t have taken on this monumental of a task while the vast majority of the dev team is working on Infinite.

But that’s all MCC issues, it does not reflect Infinite. Most of the resources are dedicated to it, and despite 5’s other problems, from a technical standpoint it had a very smooth launch. So 343 has proven that they can release technically proficient games. They also built a brand new engine with Infinite in mind so that should help the process considerably as well. I’m guessing that trying to manage the 12-14(?) engines in MCC has contributed to a lot of the problems, hence why it was the anomalous broken launch in 343’s slate. Infinite’s most likely problems will come from the progression system as that seems to be what 343 has struggled with the most in MCC, 5, and Halo Wars 2.

A point I haven’t seen mentioned is Halo Wars 2 being built entirely for PC/console with separate development cycles. The PC version was broken for at least a month and still breaks occasionally (movement control for example). The argument about MCC being a port of a port is invalid.

> 2535417559649472;12:
> A point I haven’t seen mentioned is Halo Wars 2 being built entirely for PC/console with separate development cycles. The PC version was broken for at least a month and still breaks occasionally (movement control for example). The argument about MCC being a port of a port is invalid.

Are we really comparing those handful of bugs from HW2 to that mess that is the MCC now? Really?^^’

Why are we even mentioning Halo Wars 2? The brunt of the development work for that title was done by Creative Assembly, so it has next to nothing to do with the current discussion.

Heck, this entire discussion is like worrying about the state of Half-Life: Alyx given some of the rough support for Team Fortress 2 in recent years. Completely different teams working on completely different projects. If Infinite somehow ends up being a trainwreck of a game, it isn’t going to be because the MCC.

I wouldn’t be so sure given that

1. They’ve been working on it for like 3 or so years by now
  2. It seems they finally are addressing criticisms like they didn’t in H5
  3. Halo CE was already way beyond broken before the port and I don’t blame them for not fixing it given that nearly no one cares about that game anyway, there was almost 0 demand
  4. It seems to me that they are pushing MCC to steam as fast as they can so they release the games before Infinite, and then they will fix them (with some luck).

I will confess that the rollout of MCC to PC seems to have been so bumpy that it’s a bit disconcerting for the future… that said though, like others in this thread have said, it’s a little different scenario when you’ve got a smaller subset of 343 porting half a dozen games to PC, vs. the majority of the studio working on their own in-house baby for what will have been five years total by the time it’s released. So that’s the hope that we cling to, I guess.

Didn’t Bonnie Ross say that every FPS Halo going forward would have split screen? Makes me wonder if Infinite will actually have split screen.

If infinite wants a good population, the need to add cross play.

> 2783251376877086;17:
> Didn’t Bonnie Ross say that every FPS Halo going forward would have split screen? Makes me wonder if Infinite will actually have split screen.

Split screen is confirmed.

> 2533274927740213;7:
> > 2533274795123910;2:
> > I doubt any issues found in this MCC PC port will make its way to Infinite, as it is a new game, built from the start to work on both console and PC, the development procedure is most likely completely different.
>
> I think this is something that people don’t emphasize enough. Porting a game in incredibly difficult to often resulting in buts such as audio issues or even visual issue people often site that came along with the Gearbox version of Halo CE.
>
> However, Infinite will be the first Halo FPS game built from scratch with PC in mind at release. I think that itself should warrant a slightly more positive outlook.

Or conversely illicit a negative outlook based on a unproven track record with pc and a rather appalling track record with console . I want to be positive for infinite but watching the 2 mcc pc launches doesn’t fill me confidence