Longer Kill Times=More Skill Gap

Fact. The longer the kill times the less luck plays into a kill and the more the players personal skill effects the outcome.
For example:1 shot kill will mean the skilled player comes out on top most of the time but a complete noob can still get kills through sheer luck.
The longer kill times get, the more kills become purely dependant on skill.

I’ll accept that shorter kill times make the game more fast paced and enjoyable, but people that are saying “3 shot kill increases skill gap” are just plain wrong.

if the killtimes are too long such as in h3 and reach there is no reward for situational awareness. anytime someone better then you shoots at you, you either simply walk halfway across the map to cover, or 3 or 4 other players happen to wander by and fights are determined entirely by whoever has the biggest mob of noobs at their disposal.

if the killtimes are too short such as any “tactical” shooter, there is not enough reward for gathering information. poking your head out to get a view on your surroundings and opponants simply gets you instakilled from anywhere before you can react, so everybody just sits in hallways and corners waiting to instakill whoever is dumb enough to poke their heads out.

> if the killtimes are too long such as in h3 and reach there is no reward for situational awareness. anytime someone better then you shoots at you, you either simply walk halfway across the map to cover, or 3 or 4 other players happen to wander by and you have death via mob of noobs.
>
> if the killtimes are too short such as any “tactical” shooter, there is not enough reward for gathering information. poking your head out to get a view on your surroundings and opponants simply gets you instakilled from anywhere before you can react, so everybody just sits in hallways and corners waiting to instakill whoever is dumb enough to poke their heads out.

My point remains.
Shorter kill times make the game more enjoyable, but they do not create a bigger skill gap.

> > if the killtimes are too long such as in h3 and reach there is no reward for situational awareness. anytime someone better then you shoots at you, you either simply walk halfway across the map to cover, or 3 or 4 other players happen to wander by and you have death via mob of noobs.
> >
> > if the killtimes are too short such as any “tactical” shooter, there is not enough reward for gathering information. poking your head out to get a view on your surroundings and opponants simply gets you instakilled from anywhere before you can react, so everybody just sits in hallways and corners waiting to instakill whoever is dumb enough to poke their heads out.
>
> My point remains.
> Shorter kill times make the game more enjoyable, but they do not create a bigger skill gap.

Yes longer kill times have a larger skill gap than say Call of dutys, but its more boring, and a boring video game is worthless.

You can easily achieve a high skill gap with short kills times being the reward for high skill. Such as Halo CE and the Magnum, Sure you can die in 3 shots from a magnum but doing so required ample levels of skill.

> if the killtimes are too long such as in h3 and reach there is no reward for situational awareness. anytime someone better then you shoots at you, you either simply walk halfway across the map to cover, or 3 or 4 other players happen to wander by and fights are determined entirely by whoever has the biggest mob of noobs at their disposal.
>
> if the killtimes are too short such as any “tactical” shooter, there is not enough reward for gathering information. poking your head out to get a view on your surroundings and opponants simply gets you instakilled from anywhere before you can react, so everybody just sits in hallways and corners waiting to instakill whoever is dumb enough to poke their heads out.

Absofruitly. The best tactics for winning in Halo 3 was whoore power weapons and stick together. Three noobs charging with AR’s hammer down would always defeat a lone ace, often without loss. Try that in CE and you’ll at least take two of them with you.

Speaking of whooooores…the longer the kill times are with the standard weapons, the more of an “I win” button the power weapons become. Long kill times means you can get the drop on a power weapon user, and he still has enough time to turn around and obliterate you with his “I win” button before you can finish the kill. Or you mob him, and we’re right back to individual skill becoming less and less relevant.

Firstly, never mention Halo 3 and compare it to Reach. Halo 3 was a good game with near perfect kill times. Secondly I agree with OP but too long of kill times and you get stalemates, camping and tied games.

Then the person who kills the Juggernaught must be MLG No.1?!
I kid :slight_smile: but on topic I can see your point but longer kill times dont always mean more skill :wink: Take CS:S, a experienced player will always dominate as they know the maps, how to watch their back and can headshot reliably but the kill times are very short.

actually, if its 1V1 and both people have the same weapons, then shorter kill times=more skill gap.

> My point remains.
> Shorter kill times make the game more enjoyable, but they do not create a bigger skill gap.

if there is no reward for being skilled, there is no point in being skilled. the longer the killtimes are, the smaller the reward becomes, since your opponent always escapes regardless of whether you hit all your shots or not.

with long enough killtimes it does not matter if i have faster reflexes or better aim, any aim advantage is completely negated. what does start mattering is how many other players wander into the situation as we stand there volleying into each other like revolutionary war rejects. long killtimes also destroy the tactical side of gameplay by providing players who dont know what they are doing or where they are going with ample time to accidently wander into the gunfight.

> actually, if its 1V1 and both people have the same weapons, then shorter kill times=more skill gap.

There’s really two way’s to look at this. I’d like to first point out that the more bullets it takes to kill someone the more skill involved. I think that’s plain as day. (If your going to argue this please elaborate).

That being said, If by shorter kill time, you’re referring to the actual ammount of time between rife shots, more or less meaning you cant just mash the right trigger and continously(sp?) shoot Then I agree. It would with out a doubt take more skill to land 4 head shots in 2 seconds then it would to land 4 headshots in 3 seconds.

However, If you’re referring to the actual amount of shots it takes to kill someone I disagree 100%

> > My point remains.
> > Shorter kill times make the game more enjoyable, but they do not create a bigger skill gap.
>
> if there is no reward for being skilled, there is no point in being skilled. the longer the killtimes are, the smaller the reward becomes, since your opponent always escapes regardless of whether you hit all your shots or not.

Your kidding right? How can argue the fact of: The harder you work for something the more rewarding it feels accomplishing it. Not to mention, whether or not the enemy gets away is exactly the skill gap we’re referring to. A skilled player might realize that he wont have time to land all 5 shots and get the kill and might bank a nade’ off a wall to prevent them from running a certain direction. Whereas someone who lacks that skill, Might just attempt to 5 shot them and let them get away.

Longer kill times also encourage more of a team effort. Which incorporates a whole new skill ability. That being; working well with strangers, and communicating efficiently.