Longbow seems odd with...

…green healthy trees unaffected by all the ice, snow and cold temperature. Yeah, extremely minor, trivial matter but, it does seem odd, at least to me.

has anyone noticed out of place things on other maps?

Well one that is how a lot of forest environments are and it’s an alien planet…so yeah…

> Well one that is how a lot of forest environments are and it’s an alien planet…so yeah…

True, perhaps they can thrive on a different planet…who knows what the composition of the tree is and how it reacts to different weather conditions.

When the War Games simulation engineer was interviewed, he replied with “I’m a programmer, not a biologist”.

Those are alien trees, and are likely that planet’s equivalent to a conifer.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=aliens+meme&um=1&hl=fi&rls=com.microsoft:fi&biw=1024&bih=571&tbm=isch&tbnid=Vb_TF_UvbI8eCM:&imgrefurl=http://cuddlebuggery.com/blog/2013/02/09/5-reasons-the-bella-swan-ya-heroine-exists/aliens-meme/&docid=Lf3fw5qjiS_gsM&imgurl=http://cuddlebuggery.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/aliens-meme.jpeg&w=400&h=349&ei=6K89UYvACIqD4ATp5oCwCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=274&vpy=118&dur=62&hovh=210&hovw=240&tx=130&ty=125&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=162&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:82

> …green healthy trees unaffected by all the ice, snow and cold temperature. Yeah, extremely minor, trivial matter but, it does seem odd, at least to me.
>
> has anyone noticed out of place things on other maps?

Why is it odd? I have some small trees in my garden that stay green all year round. Its not unnatural, since there are many species of tree that stay green (known as evergreens).

well im from michigan and all ive got to say is… pinetrees…everywhere!

> …green healthy trees unaffected by all the ice, snow and cold temperature. Yeah, extremely minor, trivial matter but, it does seem odd, at least to me.
>
> has anyone noticed out of place things on other maps?

Ever heard of Evergreen Trees?

An evergreen plant is a plant that has leaves in all four seasons. This contrasts with deciduous plants, which completely lose their foliage during the winter or dry season. There are many different kinds of evergreen plants,trees and shrubs.

I learnt that in school!

Let us consider a few things left out of the description.

1. The northern polar region is not exactly on the north pole, it’s simply an undefined region that surrounds the pole. Frigid does not mean freezing inclusive, merely on average near 4’ temps or lower. (Average means just that, there can be “growing” temperature days scattered about.

2a) The axis of rotation can aim the planet’s poles in specific angles that though the region is frigid, it does still receive enough energy from the system’s sun to allow for seasonal growth without completely removing any glaciers that may exist. Due to growing seasons and plants being extremely adaptable, those small “coniferous” could be hundreds of years old.

2b) Tidal locking of the planet’s rotation while being on a slightly tilted axis of rotation can create similarly nifty results.

2c) A retrograde axis of rotation can definitely make a weird planet. Just one of Venus’ many problems is that a day is longer than a year. At the right angle of rotation and distance from a sun, a polar region can remain frigid but not extremely frozen.

1. The planet’s distance to its sun combined with the right continental configuration can allow for a moist yet cold polar region. This could allow for yearly glacial cycles. Longbow could be near the edge of the tundra, but not in the tundra and still have glaciers roll by every year due to the build up farther north of the location.
    The 2 poles could be in a state of equilibrium where they share the ice load throughout the year and so the water levels rarely dip much.
    We could also be seeing the flood season right now.

2a) and 3) can create the gravitational effects noticed in Longbow.
A meteor/asteroid striking the planet to knock it on a huge tilt during the right development stage can leave some very heavy metals within the crust. This obviously effects gravity due to more mass in 1 location than another.
The glacier movement can concentrate mass and definitely effect gravity by either pushing the crust farther down to the core and/or just being extra mass in one location.

Well at least they look better than the trees that were in the earlier builds and the Defiant map pack for Halo Reach… eek.