Logic for DMR/Pistol/etc. Bloom?

I don’t understand the logic behind implementing yet another form of bloom for the DMR, pistol, and any other precision weapon that has bloom that I’ve forgotten to mention. Supposedly, the bloom’s there because the weapon’s range needs to be limited to its appropriate niche. But it’s obviously been established that bloom is inherently an inconsistent mechanic that decreases skill in a gunfight, so why include it yet again? You could limit the range of the DMR by increasing the recoil on the gun, or by giving it a slower RoF relative to the other guns. The pistol’s already limited because of its larger base reticle and its low ammo capacity, but if you wanted to limit it more to its CQC range, then you could increase the recoil on the gun.

Point is, why incorporate a random and detrimental mechanic when you could use other ways to accomplish the same thing yet still preserve consistency? What’s the logic here?

Ya, I dont get it. There are numerous ways to weaken a weapon at range that dont make it incredibly inconsistent at close and mid range.

The ones you mentioned plus decreased auto aim, bullet dropoff or straight up bullet drop, decreased damage at range etc etc.

There is NO reason for bloom on precision weapons.

> Ya, I dont get it. There are numerous ways to weaken a weapon at range that dont make it incredibly inconsistent at close and mid range.
>
> The ones you mentioned plus decreased auto aim, bullet dropoff or straight up bullet drop, decreased damage at range etc etc.
>
> There is NO reason for bloom on precision weapons.

Very true. If there was one thing that I thought I was sure of for H4, it was that there would be no bloom. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case.

There is no logic really… They couldn’t think of another way to balance guns except adding randomness that is bloom.

It’s sad when game developers don’t understand when a game mechanic is clearly not beneficial for the game. RoF can easily replace bloom, why would you keep bloom…

Yep. I thought they would add exp unlocks and perks and stuff but I never, ever thought they would bring bloom and AAs to H4.

ALL weapons need bloom!

Bloom is there because they’re single round weapons. Recoil only affects BR since its a 3 round burst. To expand the first shot hits, the reticule kicks back, and the next 2 bullets are affected whether you’re able to keep the reticule on the opponent. Recoil on a DMR/Pistol wouldn’t help much since the recoil doesn’t affecting anything other than mindless spamming with bloom also affects.

Not to say bloom is perfect but it makes more sense based on the weapon than something like recoil. With that said they could have swapped it out for a better form of bullet spread but then it would affect how the weapon functions as a long-range precision weapon. With the DMR is should be first shot that hits and subsequent shots become more random based on rate of fire which is essentially what bloom is.

It does, however, baffle me why we need bloom on the pistol and not the carbine.

> ALL weapons need bloom!

derp

> > ALL weapons need bloom!
>
> derp

Apply the right amount of bloom for the each weapon. Like giving the Plasma Pistol very little bloom.

> Bloom is there because they’re single round weapons. Recoil only affects BR since its a 3 round burst. To expand the first shot hits, the reticule kicks back, and the next 2 bullets are affected whether you’re able to keep the reticule on the opponent. Recoil on a DMR/Pistol wouldn’t help much since the recoil doesn’t affecting anything other than mindless spamming with bloom also affects.

The ODST pistol’s recoil sure affected my fire rate with the gun, and it was much more consistent and reliable than it would’ve been with bloom rather than recoil. Recoil would affect a single shot weapon since the reticle would ideally come to rest at a higher position when compared to the reticle’s original location.

> With the DMR is should be first shot that hits and subsequent shots become more random based on rate of fire which is essentially what bloom is.

Recoil does that too, except more consistently.

> It does, however, baffle me why we need bloom on the pistol and not the carbi. ne

Probably because the Carbine is a 7sk. That’s the only reason I can think of, anyway.

> > Bloom is there because they’re single round weapons. Recoil only affects BR since its a 3 round burst. To expand the first shot hits, the reticule kicks back, and the next 2 bullets are affected whether you’re able to keep the reticule on the opponent. Recoil on a DMR/Pistol wouldn’t help much since the recoil doesn’t affecting anything other than mindless spamming with bloom also affects.
>
> The ODST pistol’s recoil sure affected my fire rate with the gun, and it was much more consistent and reliable than it would’ve been with bloom rather than recoil. Recoil would affect a single shot weapon since the reticle would ideally come to rest at a higher position when compared to the reticle’s original location.

Not saying that it wouldn’t but it probably have to be a pretty violent kick back to actually change anything. This is all in theory mind you.

> > It does, however, baffle me why we need bloom on the pistol and not the carbi. ne
>
> Probably because the Carbine is a 7sk. That’s the only reason I can think of, anyway.

My problem is that the only real theory I have for the carbine not having bloom is that its could be more for close to mid range (I’ve read that somewhere). But if thats the case then why would the pistol have bloom to limit its range while the carbine who should lie in a similar range is unburdened by bloom at all.

> > Bloom is there because they’re single round weapons. Recoil only affects BR since its a 3 round burst. To expand the first shot hits, the reticule kicks back, and the next 2 bullets are affected whether you’re able to keep the reticule on the opponent. Recoil on a DMR/Pistol wouldn’t help much since the recoil doesn’t affecting anything other than mindless spamming with bloom also affects.
>
> The ODST pistol’s recoil sure affected my fire rate with the gun, and it was much more consistent and reliable than it would’ve been with bloom rather than recoil. Recoil would affect a single shot weapon since the reticle would ideally come to rest at a higher position when compared to the reticle’s original location.
>
>
>
> > With the DMR is should be first shot that hits and subsequent shots become more random based on rate of fire which is essentially what bloom is.
>
> Recoil does that too, except more consistently.
>
>
>
> > It does, however, baffle me why we need bloom on the pistol and not the carbi. ne
>
> Probably because the Carbine is a 7sk. That’s the only reason I can think of, anyway.

I’m going to point out ODSTs pistol shoots a LOT faster than the DMR, which gives reason for its recoil. A DMR has almost no reason for recoil.

As for the carbine, probably because its covenant tech would be a way to start… As for the pistol, the pistol should have recoil as its a higher rate of fire, rather than bloom. I have no idea what they were thinking there.

> Not saying that it wouldn’t but it probably have to be a pretty violent kick back to actually change anything. This is all in theory mind you.

The ideal recoil, IMO, for the DMR would be a violent kickback, but resets near to its starting position quickly. So if you fire faster than the intended RoF, your accuracy decreases dramatically.

> My problem is that the only real theory I have for the carbine not having bloom is that its could be more for close to mid range (I’ve read that somewhere). But if thats the case then why would the pistol have bloom to limit its range while the carbine who should lie in a similar range is unburdened by bloom at all.

Again, I think the 7sk can be an explanation for this. 343 probably thought that the 7sk and the resulting higher chance of missing a shot compensated enough for the lack of bloom or recoil (as far as I know, anyway).

> I’m going to point out ODSTs pistol shoots a LOT faster than the DMR, which gives reason for its recoil. A DMR has almost no reason for recoil.

If you’re speaking canonically, then canon should have no place in determining gameplay mechanics. If you’re not speaking canonically, then recoil accomplishes the same thing that bloom tries to do, except far more successfully. So why adopt the more flawed mechanic?

> As for the carbine, probably because its covenant tech would be a way to start… As for the pistol, the pistol should have recoil as its a higher rate of fire, rather than bloom. I have no idea what they were thinking there.

Agreed.

To be honest, when I was watching the MLG footage I didn’t notice the bloom until I read about it later. It took me a while to see it and I’m glad its not as outrageous as Reach’s Bloom to say the least.

Of course you wouldn’t understand because you aren’t a producer, a video game developer. They added for a reason and that reason is to balence the weapon. Don’t ask me how it does that just wait to play it or just take a second and think about that way.

> Of course you wouldn’t understand because you aren’t a producer, a video game developer. They added for a reason and that reason is to balence the weapon. Don’t ask me how it does that just wait to play it or just take a second and think about that way.

We’ve already experienced bloom with Reach. It’s fundamentally the same concept here, and it still shares the same inherent flaws in that it’s random and inconsistent. So unless you can somehow prove to me or even back up your argument with something substantial, I’m going to presume that bloom is still, at its core, random and unfair.

You don’t need to be a professional chef to know that a food tastes bad.

> > Of course you wouldn’t understand because you aren’t a producer, a video game developer. They added for a reason and that reason is to balence the weapon. Don’t ask me how it does that just wait to play it or just take a second and think about that way.
>
> We’ve already experienced bloom with Reach. It’s fundamentally the same concept here, and it still shares the same inherent flaws in that it’s random and inconsistent. So unless you can somehow prove to me or even back up your argument with something substantial, I’m going to presume that bloom is still, at its core, random and unfair.
>
> You don’t need to be a professional chef to know that a food tastes bad.

You can make anything work if you think about it hard enough. Especially when it has already been proven to work.

> > > Of course you wouldn’t understand because you aren’t a producer, a video game developer. They added for a reason and that reason is to balence the weapon. Don’t ask me how it does that just wait to play it or just take a second and think about that way.
> >
> > We’ve already experienced bloom with Reach. It’s fundamentally the same concept here, and it still shares the same inherent flaws in that it’s random and inconsistent. So unless you can somehow prove to me or even back up your argument with something substantial, I’m going to presume that bloom is still, at its core, random and unfair.
> >
> > You don’t need to be a professional chef to know that a food tastes bad.
>
> You can make anything work if you think about it hard enough. Especially when it has already been proven to work.

But bloom’s inherently unable to work consistently…

> > > ALL weapons need bloom!
> >
> > derp
>
> Apply the right amount of bloom for the each weapon. Like giving the Plasma Pistol very little bloom.

Automatic weapons need a bloom indicator, but for precision weapons? There are much better ways to limit range and RoF.