Locke is the "primary character" of Halo 5

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/478203/halo-5-main-character-is-agent-locke-says-actor/

Mike Colter, Locke’s actor (and voice actor and mocap actor) implies that Halo 5 will focus on Locke, which might be a little more than switching between him and John like Halo 2. Hopefully this doesn’t mean that the Master Chief won’t be playable, because that would be disappointing (yet admittedly interesting).

Discuss

Cortana is a primary character in H4…

> Cortana is a primary character in H4…

The way it was worded almost implies that Locke will be bigger than the Chief in Halo 5.

Inb4 “OMGZ 343 ONLY CH33F CAN B A CHARACTER”

In all seriousness, this makes me expect a flashback style campaign where the missions switch between Locke and Chief. So essentially, you’d start with a Locke mission uncovering a lead on where Chief is, and the next mission would be the respective chapter in Chief’s arc.

> Inb4 “OMGZ 343 ONLY CH33F CAN B A CHARACTER”
>
> In all seriousness, this makes me expect a flashback style campaign where the missions switch between Locke and Chief. So essentially, you’d start with a Locke mission uncovering a lead on where Chief is, and the next mission would be the respective chapter in Chief’s arc.

I’d like that. Kind of like ODST.

> > Inb4 “OMGZ 343 ONLY CH33F CAN B A CHARACTER”
> >
> > In all seriousness, this makes me expect a flashback style campaign where the missions switch between Locke and Chief. So essentially, you’d start with a Locke mission uncovering a lead on where Chief is, and the next mission would be the respective chapter in Chief’s arc.
>
> I’d like that. Kind of like ODST.

Yeah, that style of switching characters for flashbacks worked well in ODST

While I’d still like to play as Chief the most (I have no doubt we will), I think it’ll be cool to play as Locke in an Arbiter-style back and forth. Or, like Andy said, ODST style flashbacks. Just so long as there isn’t any human vs. human between Chief and ONI–one of my favorite parts of Halo games may be that you never kill other humans, even when you’re the Arbiter.

My opinion, anyway.

> > Cortana is a primary character in H4…
>
> The way it was worded almost implies that Locke will be bigger than the Chief in Halo 5.

I doubt it since 343 said that the reclaimer saga is going to focus more on chief as a character.

That isn’t to say Locke won’t be an integral part of the story, but I doubt he’ll be bigger than chief is in regards to importance.

> While I’d still like to play as Chief the most (I have no doubt we will), I think it’ll be cool to play as Locke in an Arbiter-style back and forth. Or, like Andy said, ODST style flashbacks. Just so long as there isn’t any human vs. human between Chief and ONI–one of my favorite parts of Halo games may be that you never kill other humans, even when you’re the Arbiter.
>
> My opinion, anyway.

That’s interesting because I’ve always wondered how fighting A.I. controlled humans would be. I think it’d be neat if you had to fight some rebels or ONI agents. It would also require 343 to make the human AI actually competent.

I am wary of 343i focusing on a character other than Chief, not out of some unwillingness to change, but because 343i has failed in the development of every character they’ve introduced to the franchise, including Sarah Palmer (SpOps/Initiation), Del Rio (Halo 4), and Lasky (Forward Unto Dawn). The only character development successes came from the characters that already existed, like Chief, Cortana, and Halsey. I do not have very much faith in 343i and I would rather them do what I already know they can do and have a great game than try again and have another mediocre game.

Makes sense. For Halo 4 we got Forward Unto Dawn. The series involved John, and now we get Nightfall, wich pretty much is the opposite of dawn. I can see what they are trying to do.

Here’s hoping we get parallel campaigns like in Halo 2.

> I am wary of 343i focusing on a character other than Chief, not out of some unwillingness to change, but because 343i has failed in the development of every character they’ve introduced to the franchise, including Sarah Palmer (SpOps/Initiation), Del Rio (Halo 4), and Lasky (Forward Unto Dawn). The only character development successes came from the characters that already existed, like Chief, Cortana, and Halsey. I do not have very much faith in 343i and I would rather them do what I already know they can do and have a great game than try again and have another mediocre game.

I really hate to say it (because I love the idea of a Halo 2-style split campaign) but I see where you’re coming from. The characters that 343i introduced were all completely cringe-worthy and clichéd, I felt.
I could be wrong they could surprise me with Locke. I’m excited to see what they do, but not sure if I should get my hopes up.

It was confirmed recently that MC will still be integral, but I actually think it could be rather interesting to see Locke as the main lead while MC is the secondary. Of course developing Chief’s character is the point of his journey at the moment so it’d be hard to do that without Chief being a POV character, but if Locke got the most playtime I wouldn’t be opposed to that. Let’s have a perspective on Chief from someone else’s eyes, someone looking for him and even studying him during that search, and all the while questioning the motives of the guy you’re controlling. We don’t know if he’s good or bad, why he’s looking for John; it could be a unique opportunity to play as a character who’s entire motivation is a mystery, and the while the game’s primary focus is on discovering Chief both as a person and where he is, from the POV of Locke, we can slowly uncover Locke’s own motivations for his search during as well. Possibly through his reactions to what he hears and what we uncover while playing as him.

This would work on a meta level too, where the player questions the actions they take as Locke. Am I a good guy or a bad guy?

That would be interesting, a 2nd perspective on the Chief.

if they make him a bad–Yoink- character, then i can get behind this. i honeslty wouldnt be surprised if theydid a big game of thrones style death of master chief by lockes hands in this one (depending on his goals) if the campaign is sort of lookinga t chief more from an outsiders perspective rather than in his shoes… er, boots

Hmm this story starts to sound a bit more complicated than I thought. Maybe it means we will have longer campaign? :wink:

Locke is ‘A’ primary character.

> While I’d still like to play as Chief the most (I have no doubt we will), I think it’ll be cool to play as Locke in an Arbiter-style back and forth. Or, like Andy said, ODST style flashbacks. Just so long as there isn’t any human vs. human between Chief and ONI–one of my favorite parts of Halo games may be that you never kill other humans, even when you’re the Arbiter.
>
> My opinion, anyway.

Well the weird thing is that not killing humans is somewhat…unSpartan. They were designed to take out rebels after all and the Chief has killed ODST’s before enemies are enemies.

I understand that’s your opinion, but I’d be interested to see some more inner conflict - not on the scale of a civil war or something, but ONI are black ops and would have no qualms with doing whatever they felt was necessary to protect themselves. It’s not like the get along with the UNSC after all…

I’m not upset. Locke already looks like a cool character, and I’m excited to see new places and explore the Universe through the eyes of an ONI operative. Maybe even get to see Osman brief us on our missions. Osman is another one of my favorite characters and I’d be pretty happy to see her return with a bigger role. And if Locke is actually operating on Sanghelios, maybe get a few Kilo-5 cameos? That would be awesome.

Chief will always have his time in the sun. There should be no reason to worry about having limited time with him, yet.

I’m hoping this all means a bigger campaign. Like, Halo 2 sized, maybe bigger.

> In all seriousness, this makes me expect a flashback style campaign where the missions switch between Locke and Chief. So essentially, you’d start with a Locke mission uncovering a lead on where Chief is, and the next mission would be the respective chapter in Chief’s arc.

Personally I don’t like the flashback-type narrative, I’d prefer if Locke and Johns story arc go forward at the same time, much like how Halo 2 was.