Locke and Chief not Friends

Now I honestly think Locke and Chief may still fight each other and here’s my theory as to why. First off both Hunt the Truth trailers show the Infinity in the background which was never at Meridian where Chief and Locke fought each other also we now now that the Guardians once Cortana gains full control over them will only EMP the planet instead of leaving a giant crater like in Hunt the Truth season 2 and the Meridian Guardian was in fact under her control. Also the destruction in the trailers does not match what a guardian can do as far as we know with the city being torched and leveled looking more like the aftermath of a glassing to me with very little rubble left and the ground itself burnt. I also heard a rumor that the Hunt the Truth trailers are set in 2560 though i was unable to find the date in the trailers but we do now H5 takes place in 2558, meaning if this is true that the trailers take place 2 years after H5 but since this is a rumor and I was unable to find proof I doubt this is true. Lastly the orange guardian is never seen in Halo 5 but cheif still has his cracked visor meaning that he for certain meets it after his fight with Locke and by extension after H5. Now I am focusing on details minus the orange guardian I 100% believe that it is in H6. But what has me think this the most is the fact that 343 has not addressed any of the complaints over the Hunt the Truth trailers saying they are false advertising which is a big deal but if they really don’t take place in H5 they naturally can’t talk about the trailers because of spoilers if they really occur in H6. I mean most companies make an apology over this sort of thing and if they did Microsoft would most likely make them apologize by now. Also in order to address this post title now while Locke does save Chief he doesn’t ever befriend him in fact he may have saved him simply to keep him away from Cortana now of course he knows Chief isn’t the bad guy but with Cortana thrown in the mix I don’t think they will get along with each other for long with Locke and humanity most likely trying to kill her and Chief wanting to save her.

But this is theory so I don’t have definitive evidence other than Chief’s visor poinitng out that the orange guardians is in H6 but the rest in speculation but i would like input on this.

Edit- A comment below informed me that 343 did go out saying The Hunt the Truth trailers were for hype and the orange guardian was just an early concept. Of course Chief is still shown god knows where when he finds it if the trailer is relevant to the story. Still certain Chief and Locke will fight tho with Cortana going nuts.

Sounds good

So Halo 5 trailers were for Halo 6?
If thats true, I hate you 343i…

I really like this! I really want to know about the HTT time line though.

Halo 6 to kill Cortana or not…

> 2533274829432487;4:
> I really like this! I really want to know about the HTT time line though.
>
> Halo 6 to kill Cortana or not…

i think HTT is right before or during H5 and no killing Cortana can’t go through that again

You do present a vaild point, and I think I speak for everyone when I say, the whole not including the Locke vs. Chief scence from the trailer threw me off a little.

Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.

> 2533274920039666;7:
> Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.

To add some more support to this argument, many of the Halo trailers have been to build up hype and only a little bit of the trailers have been put into the games. For example, in Halo 4 it shows master chief captures by someone (probably the didact) in a stasis field. This did not happen exactly. Didact did overpower chief on multiple occasions in Halo 4 but did not capture him. Same idea for Halo 5. Live action trailer are usually just to build hype for the next Halo and are not necessarily canon.

Chief’s cracked visor and damaged armor did throw me off as well. I thought we would see more damage to him. The cloak thing was meant to show chief is hiding but he never really hid in Halo 5. The E3 trailer I believe is a trailer for Halo on Xbox One, so the story of the guardians is still continuing (I hope). We can see at the end of Halo 5 that Halsey, Arbiter, parts of SOS are hiding. This may mean that blue team, Osiris, Halsey, SOS etc are making up a plan to save the galaxy from Cortana’s plan. I am just speculating but we will see.

If Chief still tries to fight Locke after Cortana goes dictator on him and the galaxy he is a fool.

> 2533274920039666;7:
> Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.

“Minor” here meaning “So insignificant to the plot that they may as well as have the adverts focusing on what breakfast cereal Buck had that morning”.

I get what they were trying to do; have advertising that had little to do with the game to avoid spoiling the WHAT A TWIST! antagonist. This worked on Spec Ops: the Line excellently. There was just one little tiny problem: the cover story, as it were, was FAR, FAR more interesting and engaging than the actual story they went with.

> 2533274920039666;7:

Really? I honestly thought ign, machinima or someone would talk about this is the first I’ve heard of it. But i did dismiss the 2560 date as a rumor in my post. Also I still think Cortana’s current state is going to make them fight, I mean if I was Locke I would see no harm in doing Cortana in but Chief on the other hand would have a lot of problems with it.

> 2535441431388274;11:
> > 2533274920039666;7:
> > Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.
>
>
> Really? I honestly thought ign, machinima or someone would talk about this is the first I’ve heard of it. But i did dismiss the 2560 date as a rumor in my post. Also I still think Cortana’s current state is going to make them fight, I mean if I was Locke I would see no harm in doing Cortana in but Chief on the other hand would have a lot of problems with it.

Yeah, apparently it was an error that just went under the radar until after the commercial aired. They addressed it with a rather meta in-universe report by Michael Sullivan, which was pretty clever way to do so. Also why do you think that? Even before Osiris saved Blue Team the Chief openly acknowledged to Locke that he realized Cortana is a threat. The Chief also says so himself in the game that he will fight her if necessary - and suffice to say she has definitely made it necessary. There is nothing about the end of ‘Halo 5’ that shows the Chief and Locke have or will have any animosity towards each other over this issue.

> 2533274920039666;12:
> > 2535441431388274;11:
> > > 2533274920039666;7:
> > > Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.
> >
> >
> > Really? I honestly thought ign, machinima or someone would talk about this is the first I’ve heard of it. But i did dismiss the 2560 date as a rumor in my post. Also I still think Cortana’s current state is going to make them fight, I mean if I was Locke I would see no harm in doing Cortana in but Chief on the other hand would have a lot of problems with it.
>
>
> Yeah, apparently it was an error that just went under the radar until after the commercial aired. They addressed it with a rather meta in-universe report by Michael Sullivan, which was pretty clever way to do so. Also why do you think that? Even before Osiris saved Blue Team the Chief openly acknowledged to Locke that he realized Cortana is a threat. The Chief also says so himself in the game that he will fight her if necessary - and suffice to say she has definitely made it necessary. There is nothing about the end of ‘Halo 5’ that shows the Chief and Locke have or will have any animosity towards each other over this issue.

still Chief beat up Locke when he said Cortana wasn’t Chief’s concern anymore I still think they come into conflict on what to do with Cortana and of course Chief will fight her but I doubt he’ll kill her.

> 2535441431388274;13:
> > 2533274920039666;12:
> > > 2535441431388274;11:
> > > > 2533274920039666;7:
> > > > Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.
> > >
> > >
> > > Really? I honestly thought ign, machinima or someone would talk about this is the first I’ve heard of it. But i did dismiss the 2560 date as a rumor in my post. Also I still think Cortana’s current state is going to make them fight, I mean if I was Locke I would see no harm in doing Cortana in but Chief on the other hand would have a lot of problems with it.
> >
> >
> > Yeah, apparently it was an error that just went under the radar until after the commercial aired. They addressed it with a rather meta in-universe report by Michael Sullivan, which was pretty clever way to do so. Also why do you think that? Even before Osiris saved Blue Team the Chief openly acknowledged to Locke that he realized Cortana is a threat. The Chief also says so himself in the game that he will fight her if necessary - and suffice to say she has definitely made it necessary. There is nothing about the end of ‘Halo 5’ that shows the Chief and Locke have or will have any animosity towards each other over this issue.
>
>
> still Chief beat up Locke when he said Cortana wasn’t Chief’s concern anymore I still think they come into conflict on what to do with Cortana and of course Chief will fight her but I doubt he’ll kill her.

The Chief and Locke having their little “mantrum” at the beginning of the game doesn’t seem to matter at all by the end though. I don’t think there’s any logical reason for the Chief at this point to not agree with killing Cortana if that is whatever plan they come up with amounts to. I don’t think he’ll take any pleasure in that, in fact it’s to be expected that he’d be at least a little conflicted, but not enough to oppose Locke or anyone else about it. Like I said, he is now fully aware of how depraved Cortana has become, openly condemned her actions, and already confirmed he will do whatever it takes to stop her.

Also one thing I have to keep bringing up in regards to this subject is why does everyone assume it’ll be the Chief that has to destroy her? If anything that job falls to Dr. Halsey, seeing as how Cortana is her creation and responsibility. In fact I think it it would be a great way to bring Halsey (and Cortana by extension) narrative closure to confront and ultimately conquer all the bad things about herself that Cortana now personifies to the extreme. It would bring a lot of things full circle. This also absolves the Chief of having to do something that ultimately is not his burden to bear.

> 2533274920039666;14:
> > 2535441431388274;13:
> > > 2533274920039666;12:
> > > > 2535441431388274;11:
> > > > > 2533274920039666;7:
> > > > > Sorry but you’re wrong. 343i did acknowledge the 2560 date error on the official ‘Hunt the Truth’ tumblr blog. It was just a mistake in the commercial. The 2013 E3 trailer was also confirmed a long time ago to be “a thought piece” by the studio and not much more (the Guardian in that trailer is itself an old concept for the versions we now see in the actual game). As for the things like the ‘All Hail’ trailers, those were just intended to build hype - they’re not canon. At the end of ‘Halo 5’ we see the minor conflict between Chief and Locke come to and end. That’s all there is to it really.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Really? I honestly thought ign, machinima or someone would talk about this is the first I’ve heard of it. But i did dismiss the 2560 date as a rumor in my post. Also I still think Cortana’s current state is going to make them fight, I mean if I was Locke I would see no harm in doing Cortana in but Chief on the other hand would have a lot of problems with it.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah, apparently it was an error that just went under the radar until after the commercial aired. They addressed it with a rather meta in-universe report by Michael Sullivan, which was pretty clever way to do so. Also why do you think that? Even before Osiris saved Blue Team the Chief openly acknowledged to Locke that he realized Cortana is a threat. The Chief also says so himself in the game that he will fight her if necessary - and suffice to say she has definitely made it necessary. There is nothing about the end of ‘Halo 5’ that shows the Chief and Locke have or will have any animosity towards each other over this issue.
> >
> >
> > still Chief beat up Locke when he said Cortana wasn’t Chief’s concern anymore I still think they come into conflict on what to do with Cortana and of course Chief will fight her but I doubt he’ll kill her.
>
>
> The Chief and Locke having their little “mantrum” at the beginning of the game doesn’t seem to matter at all by the end though. I don’t think there’s any logical reason for the Chief at this point to not agree with killing Cortana if that is whatever plan they come up with amounts to. I don’t think he’ll take any pleasure in that, in fact it’s to be expected that he’d be at least a little conflicted, but not enough to oppose Locke or anyone else about it. Like I said, he is now fully aware of how depraved Cortana has become, openly condemned her actions, and already confirmed he will do whatever it takes to stop her.
>
> Also one thing I have to keep bringing up in regards to this subject is why does everyone assume it’ll be the Chief that has to destroy her? If anything that job falls to Dr. Halsey, seeing as how Cortana is her creation and responsibility. In fact I think it it would be a great way to bring Halsey (and Cortana by extension) narrative closure to confront and ultimately conquer all the bad things about herself that Cortana now personifies to the extreme. It would bring a lot of things full circle. This also absolves the Chief of having to do something that ultimately is not his burden to bear.

Halsey doing Cortana in or at least making a way to stop her would be interesting. One thing I’m wondering about Cortana going nuts if it was because of her rampancy, the domain and/or did the gravemind from H3 do something to her? Gravemind manipulating her would be a genius way to bring the flood back