Local Co-Op Unavailable on Campaign?

So I’ve heard from comments and articles but never on any official announcement that in Halo 5 we won’t be able to play LOCAL co-op on campaign anymore. What’s the deal with that? Halo was always a game that I could play through with my older brother together growing up, and now that I’ve heard this rumor I will be extremely disappointed if it is true. One thing I heard is that the reason is to make the campaign experience run smoother? Even with new technology (a latest generation console which doesn’t even have that many games yet), why is this a problem? Just as an example, Batman: Arkham Knight is a HUGE(!) game and it runs perfectly on my Xbox One. We were able to play just fine with A.I. teammates as well as co-op players in Halo: Reach, and that was on the Xbox 360. So as a huge Halo fan who saw co-op campaign as a critical element to the game-playing experience, please tell me that I am completely wrong and that local co-op campaign will return. If I am correct… Well, fix it right now!

GT: SparbiterII7

As of now, you will not be able to do split screen in any form in Halo 5. This was done to keep the performance at a steady 60 fps and 1080p. Whether or not this compromise was worth the extra fidelity and smoothness depends on who you ask.

> 2533274831364893;2:
> As of now, you will not be able to do split screen in any form in Halo 5. This was done to keep the performance at a steady 60 fps and 1080p. Whether or not this compromise was worth the extra fidelity and smoothness depends on who you ask.

I don’t think it’ll be 1080p.

INB4Lock

Also take this to the split screen stuff in the V3.0 thread.

> 2533274831364893;2:
> As of now, you will not be able to do split screen in any form in Halo 5. This was done to keep the performance at a steady 60 fps and 1080p. Whether or not this compromise was worth the extra fidelity and smoothness depends on who you ask.

In any form? So not even custom games? Wow… What’s the point of even owning more than 1 controller then…

This is a subtopic of the split-screen threat, no split-screen no co-op, no local MP, just like that if you want to explain your point of view about it better do it on the official split-screen threat V3 hopefully it becomes so big that 343i notice it, i’ve did it last week and the forum has grown so much since that so with luck split-screen returns

> 2533274819896398;6:
> > 2533274831364893;2:
> > As of now, you will not be able to do split screen in any form in Halo 5. This was done to keep the performance at a steady 60 fps and 1080p. Whether or not this compromise was worth the extra fidelity and smoothness depends on who you ask.
>
>
> In any form? So not even custom games? Wow… What’s the point of even owning more than 1 controller then…

To play other games that have co-op…

ex. I play split-screen co-op in minecraft with my girlfriend all the time

Inb4lock

> 2533274974596436;9:
> Inb4lock

Since this thread’s gonna get locked anyway, why is “Inb4lock” a thing? Lol, I’ve always wondered about that…

I cannot fathom why they’ve chosen to develop the game in a way where they had to sacrifice the entirety of Local multiplayer/co-op to make the game run properly.

I know that at this point, the game requires 60FPS for the game mechanics to function properly. This does seem, however, like the kind of thing you iron out in Alpha and Beta testing instead of saying ‘F- it, just cut splitscreen.’ once the inviability of it becomes apparent.

> 2533274831364893;2:

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY, ever confirmed or hinted at 1080p. Not during the reveal, not during E3, and sure as hell not on Gaf when the community got ants in their pants when they realized it was never confirmed.

> 2533274827546373;11:
> I cannot fathom why they’ve chosen to develop the game in a way where they had to sacrifice the entirety of Local multiplayer/co-op to make the game run properly.
>
> I know that at this point, the game requires 60FPS for the game mechanics to function properly. This does seem, however, like the kind of thing you iron out in Alpha and Beta testing instead of saying ‘F- it, just cut splitscreen.’ once the inviability of it becomes apparent.

This is why I keep thinking there’s no way Halo 5 is optimized properly… Lowering the split-screen graphics should do the trick just like it did in every other Halo installment, so why is that suddenly not enough after implementing an LOD system?

Here is one of many possible links to a confirmation of no split screen.

Here is the link to the currently existing thread about all things split screen.

> 2533274831364893;2:

IMHO it is NOT worth the extra fidelity. Co-Op campaign / local multiplayer death-matches were synonymous with the Halo series. I have waaaay more great experiences killing my buddy sitting in the basement than I’ve had playing online (especially if I have a headset on). I will really miss it. There are so few multiplayer (split screen) games out for the Xbox one that if the buddies gather, we play 360 instead.

More importantly, playing through the Halo campaign with my son (once he was mature enough, since Halo 3) when I picked up a game is an integral part of my experience with Halo. I love the bonding time we’ve had with Halo, he’s a PC kid, and doesn’t participate in my ‘console world’ too much. I love the series - it’s why I bought an Xbox on launch day years ago,(and then a few more Xboxes, since that console was junk).

Wanting for a better (very colorful term), I’m crushed. There are so many great titles coming out this year for the Xbox One, I can’t justify buying them all so made some choices. This is such a big deal for me that I’ll pick up Star Wars Battlefront instead, and wait until later to get Halo 5, either when the mode is back or when the price drops.

I don’t want this to read like a dumb “Change this or I’m never buying this game again!” angry post that forums are known for. This is a choice. 343 chose to take this out for the sake of making the game more ‘pretty’. I choose to not give my $$ to the title (for now). If enough gamers due the same, then maybe it will send a message that developers (while great) don’t always understand what gamers want. Or the game will still sell like the past titles and my opinion will not mean much, so be it.

Thanks