Loadouts and weapon variety

Does anyone else feel like loadouts and ordinance are kind of muting weapon variety? I was looking at my commendations earlier and thinking about how there are weapons that I’ve barely used. It’s one thing when there are loadout weapons that aren’t as good as certain other weapons like the storm rifle so they don’t get chosen as much but there are a ton of weapons that you can’t spawn with and can only get through ordinance. I’ve barely used the needler or the shotgun in slayer. I’ve almost never used the fuel rod cannon. Usually because either they never show up when I get ordinance or they always show up next to a better alternative. I guess my point is that I feel if these weapons spawned on the map classic Halo style, every game wouldn’t just be a Br/DMR off. I wished these weapons still spawned on the map so I could get some more play time with them when I run out of ammo or find them laying around.

Just me?

I think you need to make a slightly conscious effort to use other weapons.

I have my UNSC loadout commendation and so have swapped out all loadouts with Covie/Forerunner stuff. Some are definitely better than others(cough, storm rifle). But even in the case of the storm rifle I found it took me a couple hundred kills to figure out how to best use it.

I still think personal ordinance is better than map based ordinance. I’m well on my way to UNSC/Forerunner/Covie Ordinance Mastery. Requisition and Ordinance Priority are your friends :slight_smile: Even one of them can greatly increase your chances of getting a binary rifle, shotgun, fuel rod cannon, etc.

And look at it this way… you don’t have to camp/fight for the personal ordinance. It’s exclusively yours.

> I think you need to make a slightly conscious effort to use other weapons.
>
> I have my UNSC loadout commendation and so have swapped out all loadouts with Covie/Forerunner stuff. Some are definitely better than others(cough, storm rifle). But even in the case of the storm rifle I found it took me a couple hundred kills to figure out how to best use it.
>
> I still think personal ordinance is better than map based ordinance. I’m well on my way to UNSC/Forerunner/Covie Ordinance Mastery. Requisition and Ordinance Priority are your friends :slight_smile: Even one of them can greatly increase your chances of getting a binary rifle, shotgun, fuel rod cannon, etc.
>
> And look at it this way… you don’t have to camp/fight for the personal ordinance. It’s exclusively yours.

It’s difficult to make myself use some of the loadout weapons because some of them are just worse than others. I keep trying to make myself use the light rifle in big team and it’s awesome, but only when I’m scoped in. Literally every other rifle out shoots me when I’m not scoped in. Plus I ALWAYS have requisition equipped and I still have only had the fuel rod cannon show up as an option like twice. haha I just hate ordinance. I want to have to work for my power weapons and I want options when I run out of ammo. Now when i run out of light rifle ammo (which takes about 10 seconds) I just kind of wonder around looking for dead teammates (not really an effective strategy since weapons now despawn so fast)or trying to get kills with my secondary (which doesn’t work in big team that well) when in past Halos I could find a needler or Br or something laying around on the map.

No gun is worse than another. It’s the player’s level of skill and how comfortable they are with it. To address your point of the ordinance weapons not spawning around the map, there are still ordinance weapons that spawn around the map at the start of the match. I agree, that some of the more desirable weapons don’t show up in the personal ordinance drops as often as they should, but it just forces you to make conscious decisions when choosing the weapon. Especially if you’re working on your commendations.

> No gun is worse than another. It’s the player’s level of skill and how comfortable they are with it. To address your point of the ordinance weapons not spawning around the map, there are still ordinance weapons that spawn around the map at the start of the match. I agree, that some of the more desirable weapons don’t show up in the personal ordinance drops as often as they should, but it just forces you to make conscious decisions when choosing the weapon. Especially if you’re working on your commendations.

No gun is worse than another? lol What you’re describing is perfect niche balance where every weapon is capable of beating every other weapon within its respective niche. Halo Reach accomplished this pretty well with weapons. But with the existence of the Boltshot and the DMR having the reticle magnetism that it does, this game clearly doesn’t have perfect niche balance. For example, the Suppressor kills fastest out of the automatic loadout weapons but it also has an extremely quick range drop off. The AR has a much better range. There really isn’t a place for the Storm Rifle in this equation. Could a skilled player beat a less skilled player with the Storm Rifle? Sure but that player is lessening his chances by using it in the first place because it is, in fact, a worse weapon than the other two automatics.

When it comes to the ordinance weapons (rockets, fuel rod, binary rifle, etc), I just kind of roll with my choices. There is still ordinance that spawns on the map as well. Because I preferentially play on ‘Solace’, I have considerable IC kills. For the Binary, just play a bunch of big team… That weapons seems to show up a lot in that playlist.

> When it comes to the ordinance weapons (rockets, fuel rod, binary rifle, etc), I just kind of roll with my choices. There is still ordinance that spawns on the map as well. Because I preferentially play on ‘Solace’, I have considerable IC kills. For the Binary, just play a bunch of big team… That weapons seems to show up a lot in that playlist.

I’m not really complaining about never getting to use power weapons. It’s more about the fact that over the course of a single game there seems to be a lot less weapon variety. There are some weapon drops that spawn on the map and yes ordinance gives you some choices, but it still seems stale to me.

My argument is that in any given game in past arena Halos with no loadouts and all weapons spawning on the map, it seemed like a lot more weapons would be used over the course of that particular game. Most games in Halo 4 feel to me to always go like: -a ton of br/dmr kills -maybe a couple secondary weapon cleanup kills -occasionally a power weapon comes into play. I don’t know.

For example in a game on The Pit in Halo 3 there’d be people fighting over the rockets, someone running around with a sword, 2 shotguns on the map, a couple needlers, 2 snipers, ARs in a couple different places, BRs on each side, a bruteshot at each base, magnums in the middle and spikers on each side. Also maulers. And all of those would almost always be in play at the same time. Even if you didn’t necessarily use all of those yourself over the course of a game you still fought people with them and it made the game feel more varied.