Loadout Weapons are sadly very unbalanced!

With loadouts and tons more weapons the number one thing I was excited for in Halo 4 was to actually have variety in gameplay. Sadly, the automatic weapons are all still inferior to the precision weapons and the DMR dominates over every precision weapon. I can’t see anyone in MLG for example ever using an automatic weapon - which was how I was hoping the game would be balanced. So, while I was hoping for a game with tons viable playstyles and weapons for variety, it feels like it’s once again a single weapon, headshot only game if I want to compete. Any chance for a bit of rebalancing so that every weapon is viable? If nothing else, what I’d really like to see is options in custom games to adjust each weapon’s damage and other stats individually.

AR will beat BR and DMR in close quarters… but you have to get in first.

The assault rifle is great at close range. Exactly what it Has always meant to be

I believe it is PERFECT. Of the DMR, BR and AR; all three have their niche, but none is OP.

The DMR is best long range, but short range, if accurate it gets the kill.

The BR is not great long range, but it works. Mid range it is an even battle with the DMR, and will be the AR; which it should. Short range, the AR has the advantage, but the BR can win sometimes with good play.

The AR loses mid and long range, because it is a short-range weapon. But up close, it is the best weapon in most hands. The BR and DMR will win sometimes, but only if they are in skilled hands.

To me, this is perfect balance because there are different weapons for every situation, but the rifles can win at any distance; but aren’t dominant close range. In Reach and H3, the AR was too strong short range and anyone with any ability at all could kill a BR from short range.

AR has, and always will dominate in close range, it should never and will never be competitive against a BR/DMR at mid/long range.

Changing the AR that much in the fifth iteration of the game would be a mistake. At its roots Halo has always played the same, the only difference being the addition of equipment and AAs.

The game has always been built around a single powerful main weapon, and power weapons to turn the tides of war.

The main weapons from the games are as follows:

Halo: 1 - Pistol
Halo: 2 - BR
Halo: 3 - BR
Halo: R - DMR
Halo: 4 - BR/DMR

Honestly wanting the AR to be competitive with the BR/DMR at long range is like asking to be able to kill a sniper with a shotgun, it’s just not how it works.

What they should do, is remove the DMR, the BR, the Light Rifle, and the Covenant Carbine from the primary weapons slot. This way you are forced to pick one of the crappier weapons like the Storm Rifle, and then find one of the precision rifles while playing. We should NOT spawn with a power weapon.

I think the AR is friggin’ GREAT.

I hope they don’t nerf it.

> What they should do, is remove the DMR, the BR, the Light Rifle, and the Covenant Carbine from the primary weapons slot. This way you are forced to pick one of the crappier weapons like the Storm Rifle, and then find one of the precision rifles while playing. We should NOT spawn with a power weapon.

Precision weapons are not even remotely power weapons.

Everyone is allowed to choose it, so it isn’t a case of imbalance.

If you want to use the AR, then know you will be outplayed at range vs a BR/DMR, as is, if you want to pick the BR/DMR, then know you will be outplayed in CQC by an AR/SR

If all these things are true, than why is it that you will never see any other weapon in MLG other than the DMR and possibly an occasional BR on tight maps? If the weapons were truly balanced, wouldn’t the pros use a variety of weapons to suit their playstyle and roles? The day I see an AR used seriously in an MLG game is the day I’ll admit the weapons are balanced.

Heres a tip. Lots of cover and usually levels in the maps. Use them against snipers, DMRS and BRS. You unlock these pretty much at SR2 or SR3 I think. After your first match you get them.

I’ve been having loads of fun running out of ammo with my starting loudouts like BR and LR and picking up an enemy AR and munce-mashing people around corners. Weapons arn’t really unbalanced unless you’re running along that long corner in Solace against the sniper in his alcove. Not great common sense.

Everything I’ve experienced so far I’ve loved and had no issues with aside from in capture the flag Ragnorok/Valhalla when the enemy outnumber you and spawn kill you time and time again in your base whi;le destroying and using your vehicles against you. Happened!

Game is fantastic. The AR is meant to be like that, engage in only short range battles if you plan on using it.

There is no way I should be forced to use a DMR because it is the best at both long and medium range (but can also dominate at close range). It’s a matter of either decreasing damage or increasing recoil(or a different combination of things). I just feel like the starting weapons are a little unbalanced when everyone can use a DMR and win in 90% of the situations. AR is fine BTW.

> If all these things are true, than why is it that you will never see any other weapon in MLG other than the DMR and possibly an occasional BR on tight maps? If the weapons were truly balanced, wouldn’t the pros use a variety of weapons to suit their playstyle and roles? The day I see an AR used seriously in an MLG game is the day I’ll admit the weapons are balanced.

Because those are the rules to keep everything uniform. That, and the fact that a good player will keep distance from their enemy to avoid grenade and melee spam, and like it has been said, at distance BR/DMR are superior.

The are not 100% powerful they all have their niches, and since the gameplay of Halo is usually a mid range game, the BR/DMR seemingly reign supreme.

That is how the game has always been, if you don’t like it, then maybe you should find a new game rather than trying to change the game for others.

I’m not trying to be rude, but since you have taken the time to go on the forums, you are either a die hard fan of the series, or really opinionated, plus the fact that you have actually watched MLG matches tells me you have been around for a while, I’m not sure how this is still a problem for you.

The AR needs to be tuned now like .2 seconds slower kill time. It is basically the Saw up close.

OP - Agreed…

To All - The DMR is comfortably the best weapon in Halo 4, as far as the standard weapons are concerned. However, I just really like the way the BR responds a tad better, but I wish the cycle/recovery time of the weapon was a bit faster. I would have expected the BR to have a faster cycle time. Back to the DMR, it has an increadible recycle/recovery time when fired. I would not have suspected that 343i would made the DMR, a precision weapon, that deadly. Granted, you have to be skilled to us it, but once your good at it… LOOK OUT!

> > If all these things are true, than why is it that you will never see any other weapon in MLG other than the DMR and possibly an occasional BR on tight maps? If the weapons were truly balanced, wouldn’t the pros use a variety of weapons to suit their playstyle and roles? The day I see an AR used seriously in an MLG game is the day I’ll admit the weapons are balanced.
>
> That is how the game has always been, if you don’t like it, then maybe you should find a new game rather than trying to change the game for others.
>
> I’m not trying to be rude, but since you have taken the time to go on the forums, you are either a die hard fan of the series, or really opinionated, plus the fact that you have actually watched MLG matches tells me you have been around for a while, I’m not sure how this is still a problem for you.

I get where you’re coming from and appreciate the civil tone. I have been around since Halo 1 and love MLG and am a competitive player.

I just don’t see what’s wrong with adding variety in gameplay. I think Halo actually HAS variety in gameplay, but if you want to compete at the highest level, there is no variety - it’s all DMR. I’m not asking to change the role of the AR, just tweak it until its good enough that a pro would actually consider using it in a tournament.

> > > If all these things are true, than why is it that you will never see any other weapon in MLG other than the DMR and possibly an occasional BR on tight maps? If the weapons were truly balanced, wouldn’t the pros use a variety of weapons to suit their playstyle and roles? The day I see an AR used seriously in an MLG game is the day I’ll admit the weapons are balanced.
> >
> > That is how the game has always been, if you don’t like it, then maybe you should find a new game rather than trying to change the game for others.
> >
> > I’m not trying to be rude, but since you have taken the time to go on the forums, you are either a die hard fan of the series, or really opinionated, plus the fact that you have actually watched MLG matches tells me you have been around for a while, I’m not sure how this is still a problem for you.
>
> I get where you’re coming from and appreciate the civil tone. I have been around since Halo 1 and love MLG and am a competitive player.
>
> I just don’t see what’s wrong with adding variety in gameplay. I think Halo actually HAS variety in gameplay, but if you want to compete at the highest level, there is no variety - it’s all DMR. I’m not asking to change the role of the AR, just tweak it until its good enough that a pro would actually consider using it in a tournament.

Because the AR is a low-skill weapon. It is a spray and pray weapon. MLG prefers weapons that are higher skill, such as the AR or DMR. They aren’t about having variety, they want the game to be played and the winner to be the one with the most skill. In a 1v1 close up with ARs, the winner is pretty random. Whereas if it’s two DMRs/BRs the winner is the more skilled player.

give the DMR a little less range will make it much more balanced.
until then ill use it all day

To me the only problem with this game are the SAW and the Boltshot… It’s a death sentence at the same instant you turn the corner… And the Saw kills at midrenge too (used it…)