Load Failures

Okay, now, something needs to be done about load failures. On a whim, I ventured into Living Dead with a few friends, and almost every single match, an unidentified player would deliberately and repeatedly trigger Load Failures until they got the map and/or game variant that they wanted irrespective of what everyone else wanted and had voted for.

I could care less about not getting a particular map or game variant in Living Dead, since pretty much everything in that playlist is terrible. It’s the principle of the thing that disgusts me: exploiters being allowed to blatantly screw over a majority vote without repercussions. Some may argue that the majority vote leads to tyranny of the majority, but the deliberate triggering of load failures is unmistakeably a tyranny of the minority. It is something that ought to be, and can be, stopped.

The solution to this problem is extremely simple, and frankly, I’m surprised it wasn’t implemented back when this exploit first became a thing. If someone experiences a load failure, they should immediately be kicked from the session and the voted-for map and game variants should continue to load without incident.

Thoughts, Waypoint?

I’ve often wondered why it’s a three-strike rule rather that a one-and-done. Sometimes it’s simply because someone’s Reach disc is screwed up, but I have noticed a lot of them are caused by someone deliberately messing with the system.

I thought this glitch was fixed after someone in Gamesager’s party used it to get Breakpoint every game in the Noble Map Pack playlist?

Whenever I see a Load Failure, I almost always see the person end up getting booted after 3 failures, usually because people will vote for the same map that just failed (commonly Forge World). I don’t think I’ve ever seen any obvious manipulation. That being said, it also seems like 3 strikes is pointless. I understand trying to start a game with the full complement of players, but in reality it doesn’t happen.

Happens a lot in Team Slayer for me.

I don’t know when someone is doing it on purpose, or someone’s Xbox is just messing up, but I do know that it is annoying.

I’d like to think people who do it are actually manipulators, because who doesn’t install games to their HDD? (Which would make sure there are no load failures.) (Also disregarding people who never got a better HDD for the slim Xbox.)

these (insert horrible word here) people can be helpfull, i’ve been in games where i didn’t like the gametype or map selected and a person load fails it twice and we end up with a good map + gametype i like.

i think after 3 load failures they get DA-boot though so they are being kicked, i think it takes more then one because there is a glitch or something that prevents people from loading some maps normally causing a load failure so upping the amount gives these people a chance to still be able to play the game on maps that will load for them which seems fair.

do, there should be a “load failure” ban like there is the quit ban so players who consistently cause load failures get banned from matchmaking for a certain period of time, this way the people doing it on purpose get banned while the people who get this problem with the game briefly don’t get punnished.

> I’d like to think people who do it are actually manipulators, because who doesn’t install games to their HDD? (Which would make sure there are no load failures.) (Also disregarding people who never got a better HDD for the slim Xbox.)

sadly, not every one installs them to the HDD, i do, but i know my friends don’t (maybe i should suggest it to them)

> > I’d like to think people who do it are actually manipulators, because who doesn’t install games to their HDD? (Which would make sure there are no load failures.) (Also disregarding people who never got a better HDD for the slim Xbox.)
>
> sadly, not every one installs them to the HDD, i do, but i know my friends don’t (maybe i should suggest it to them)

i’ve heard stories of people having it installed on there HDD but it still load fails and they end up getting booted, this could be a cache problem in which case they should clear it, corrupted install or they are lieing.

> > I’d like to think people who do it are actually manipulators, because who doesn’t install games to their HDD? (Which would make sure there are no load failures.) (Also disregarding people who never got a better HDD for the slim Xbox.)
>
> sadly, not every one installs them to the HDD, i do, but i know my friends don’t (maybe i should suggest it to them)

Yeah, not installing games when you play them for extended amounts of time takes a toll on the disc reader. One of the causes of RRoD. And like I said, you won’t get load failures with it installed. I know that my disc is so messed up that if I hadn’t installed it when it was good, I could never play it.

How people can accurately choose which non-DLC maps to corrupt on their disc is beyond me. Just gotta get lucky where you scratch your cactus on your disk? I don’t know. I do know that with DLC maps you can put those on a memory card, so you can take it out if you get a DLC map you don’t want, then put it back in, in hopes you get what map you wanted. I’m pretty sure this is what Gamesager did with banshee maps.

Edit: For the person above me, a disk may be installed with bad data, but I’ve had times where I’ve been installing and it stopped because of corrupted data. So I don’t know the correct response for this.

> there should be a “load failure” ban like there is the quit ban so players who consistently cause load failures get banned from matchmaking for a certain period of time, this way the people doing it on purpose get banned while the people who get this problem with the game briefly don’t get punnished.

This actually seems like a better solution than an instantaneous kick. Nice. :slight_smile:

> How people can accurately choose which non-DLC maps to corrupt on their disc is beyond me. Just gotta get lucky where you scratch your cactus on your disk? I don’t know.

Installing the game to the hard drive installs the maps AFAIK. So – I’m speculating here, I’m not all that up-to-date on the 360’s drive – it could be possible that people are installing the games to some removable device, and simply detaching that device when an undesired map or game comes up. The console knows that the game is installed, but can’t find the files being searched for; if it doesn’t handle the error by attempting to load from the disc, then a Load Failure could perhaps result.

It should alter by playlist, that wont work in team games, I like Haunted Army’s idea, though.

> > there should be a “load failure” ban like there is the quit ban so players who consistently cause load failures get banned from matchmaking for a certain period of time, this way the people doing it on purpose get banned while the people who get this problem with the game briefly don’t get punnished.
>
> This actually seems like a better solution than an instantaneous kick. Nice. :slight_smile:
>
>
>
> > How people can accurately choose which non-DLC maps to corrupt on their disc is beyond me. Just gotta get lucky where you scratch your cactus on your disk? I don’t know.
>
> Installing the game to the hard drive installs the maps AFAIK. So – I’m speculating here, I’m not all that up-to-date on the 360’s drive – it could be possible that people are installing the games to some removable device, and simply detaching that device when an undesired map or game comes up. The console knows that the game is installed, but can’t find the files being searched for; if it doesn’t handle the error by attempting to load from the disc, then a Load Failure could perhaps result.

GOD Games and game installs can’t be moved to a flash drive. Without a hard drive you can install them to a flash drive. The moment a hard drive or flash drive containing system data is removed the console resets. Think about it this way:
You have Windows on your computer. You want to make this game fail by pulling out your hard drive but then Windows crashes and you have to plug in the hard drive. You can’t move the game to a flash drive unless you don’t have Windows and you then have to install it to the flash drive too so now if you remove the flash drive you’re screwed.

If you had it installed to the flash drive and then installed the hard drive and now it’s running from the flash drive but you’re able to remove the flash drive without causing an error great. But guess what? If it can’t get the data for the game what’s it running? Nothing. So it crashes and dies. Freezes.

You can’t delete anything from the game or else it’ll corrupt it because the hash checks or keys won’t be signed and there isn’t any way to resign them or else you’d see modders everywhere with files messed with or whatever so they could jump high and have super fast life regen or whatever. Anyway. The load failure probably has to do with their disc being messed up and it’s probably not done on purpose unless it’s a DLC map. Just my 2 cents. Or 8 pesos :stuck_out_tongue:
/not an official monetary conversion

> Anyway. The load failure probably has to do with their disc being messed up and it’s probably not done on purpose unless it’s a DLC map. Just my 2 cents. Or 8 pesos :stuck_out_tongue:

It could be… I just find it suspicious that Alphas on a Forge World map will trigger a load failure, and then Alphas on a Sword Base map will trigger a load failure, and then Evade Zombies on another Forge World map will load absolutely fine. And I find it very suspicious that this can happen five different times out of ten searches, with four of the others also being load failures but without recurring maps.

> there isn’t any way to resign them or else you’d see modders everywhere with files messed with or whatever so they could jump high and have super fast life regen or whatever.

There are accounts of modders doing several of those things in Matchmaking. Particularly striking is a Rendered Film I saw a year ago, showing a modder levitating through the air and auto-aim-doming everyone on the enemy team in Matchmaking Team SWAT.

Or, more specifically: you’re right that the resource files cannot be altered, but you’re forgetting about run-time memory modification. Not to say that all Load Failure exploits must be memory-mod-based, but it is certainly a possibility.

Either way, some sort of ban needs to be put in place. It’s happening way too often to be normal.

> Either way, some sort of ban needs to be put in place. It’s happening way too often to be normal.

This.