Lightrifle explained.

This is an interview with someone at 343 while he is watching a demo.

If you fast forward to around 8 minutes, when he picks up the Rifle, he says “the light rifle fires a 3 burst when fired from the hip, and one, single, powerful shot when zoomed in”. As he says this, the person playing the demo demonstrates this on a wall (or tree or whatever) and as he said, as he strafes and fires, you can see 3 marks where the “bullets” hit. Not sure how many people know this, just thought I would clarify for those who don’t know. Also, I think this is more obvious, but he mentions how the scattershot reflects off walls and objects.

So, what are you thoughts? Like it? Dislike it? I personally think it is a pretty cool idea. Curious how it will play out in MP.

EDIT: Also I noticed something, if you watch at about 7:30, as he shoots the Promethean knight, you can see the knight glow Blue (faintly, but you can see it). Right after the Promethean pulls an Elite Roar, the shield “Bursts”. Not sure if it was confirmed whether they have shields or not, but I think it is clear that they do. Might have been easy to spot at the original Demo, maybe I just missed it, but I noticed it and found it interesting.

Nothing? At least if anything, you get an interview with a 343 employee.

I saw that too. Except I think that means it’s a power weapon.

Maybe, my theory is, you probably won’t spawn with it and add it to a loadout, but I bet it would be lying around the map, but not necessarily a power weapon. Maybe an ordinance weapon. This is just a theory, for all I know I am completely wrong.

My bad, double post.

Yeah, the fact it has two fire rates makes it WAY to versatile to be a starter.

> I saw that too. Except I think that means it’s a power weapon.

I personally think that they should turn the powerful single shot version into Sniper.
The Light rifle should be the new alien sniper, and they should ditch the unscoped mechanic.

> Yeah, the fact it has two fire rates makes it WAY to versatile to be a starter.

Yeah, thing is, in the demo, it had like 43 extra ammo and a high mag count. You usually don’t see that high ammo on a power weapon. Maybe it was just a campaign thing that it has so much ammo, but what I am thinking is most likely ordinance (unless they confirm you can use Promethean weapons in loadouts).

> > I saw that too. Except I think that means it’s a power weapon.
>
> I personally think that they should turn the powerful single shot version into Sniper.
> The Light rifle should be the new alien sniper, and they should ditch the unscoped mechanic.

Yeah but remember we still have NO idea how many Promethean weapons there are, there could already be a Promethean sniper rifle. Personally, I like how it can have two functions. I think that actually distincts the Promethean weapons from the others.

The Light Rifle is basically a lateral BR.

The new BR shoots 3 shots progressively higher in one burst and the Light Rifle Shoots three horizontal shots in one burst, plus one more powerful shot if you are zoomed in.

> > > I saw that too. Except I think that means it’s a power weapon.
> >
> > I personally think that they should turn the powerful single shot version into Sniper.
> > The Light rifle should be the new alien sniper, and they should ditch the unscoped mechanic.
>
> Yeah but remember we still have NO idea how many Promethean weapons there are, there could already be a Promethean sniper rifle. Personally, I like how it can have two functions. I think that actually distincts the Promethean weapons from the others.

Definitely - I like that the Promethean weapons are distinct from others (Human, Covenant) in that they have a secondary mode. Well, the light rifle anyway… not sure if the scattershot and other Promethean weapons will have secondary fire modes.

The Light Rifle explained: And misconceptions.

The Light Rifle is a forerunner utility weapon that fires in 3 round bursts when unscoped, and single shot semi-automatic when scoped.

When the weapon fires a 3 round burst, it uses ONE ammo bar on the screen, when it fires single shot, it also uses ONE ammo bar. This leads me to believe that it does the SAME damage unscoped so long as all 3 bullets hit.

It is headshot capable, but will NOT one shot kill a fully shielded enemy when scoped in (contrary to popular belief.)

The misconception is that it behaves like a Sniper when scoped, killing in one shot, but it DOESNT the enemy that MC killed with it was CLEARLY already heavily damaged by several unscoped shots taken before the final finisher.

This weapon will likely be a spawning weapon.

> The Light Rifle explained: And misconceptions.
>
> The Light Rifle is a forerunner utility weapon that fires in 3 round bursts when unscoped, and single shot semi-automatic when scoped.
>
> When the weapon fires a 3 round burst, it uses ONE ammo bar on the screen, when it fires single shot, it also uses ONE ammo bar. This leads me to believe that it does the SAME damage unscoped so long as all 3 bullets hit.
>
> It is headshot capable, but will NOT one shot kill a fully shielded enemy when scoped in (contrary to popular belief.)
>
> The misconception is that it behaves like a Sniper when scoped, killing in one shot, but it DOESNT the enemy that MC killed with it was CLEARLY already heavily damaged by several unscoped shots taken before the final finisher.
>
> This weapon will likely be a spawning weapon.

Where did you get this information?
If you came up with it on your own, then I am impressed, but then again unless you played the demo, the information might not be as reliable (no offence) but I believe you none the less.

If you got it on a website of some kind, could you lend me a link? I would like to read up if there is any more.

> > The Light Rifle explained: And misconceptions.
> >
> > The Light Rifle is a forerunner utility weapon that fires in 3 round bursts when unscoped, and single shot semi-automatic when scoped.
> >
> > When the weapon fires a 3 round burst, it uses ONE ammo bar on the screen, when it fires single shot, it also uses ONE ammo bar. This leads me to believe that it does the SAME damage unscoped so long as all 3 bullets hit.
> >
> > It is headshot capable, but will NOT one shot kill a fully shielded enemy when scoped in (contrary to popular belief.)
> >
> > The misconception is that it behaves like a Sniper when scoped, killing in one shot, but it DOESNT the enemy that MC killed with it was CLEARLY already heavily damaged by several unscoped shots taken before the final finisher.
> >
> > This weapon will likely be a spawning weapon.
>
> Where did you get this information?
> If you came up with it on your own, then I am impressed, but then again unless you played the demo, the information might not be as reliable (no offence) but I believe you none the less.
>
> If you got it on a website of some kind, could you lend me a link? I would like to read up if there is any more.

I got this information by paying very close attention. I could already tell EXACTLY how the Grenade Launcher worked before I ever picked it up in Reach just because I watched all the videos of it closely.

If you watch the GameInformer special where they play through the Demo again, you can see alot of what I’m talking about, and they talk about it. Look closely when unscoped shots fire, and you will see they only consume ONE shot in the ammo counter. You can see this while they explain that it fires 3 round bursts when unscoped. This is how I came to that conclusion.

As well, you can see in every instance of the light rifle’s use that the player ALWAYS fires several unscoped shots into the body of the Promethean Knight, weakening his shields, before finishing him off with the headshot.

Not to mention that the Light Rifle only has one 2x scope, and that’s it. No 5x/10x scope like a Sniper.

I think they wanted to make a weapon that worked like the BR did before Halo 2 came out. It would shoot bursts, but when it zoomed, it worked like a DMR. Hence, Lightrifle.

If you watch the Halo 2 Limited Edition Bonus Disc, you’ll see some footage of the early BR.

> > > The Light Rifle explained: And misconceptions.
> > >
> > > The Light Rifle is a forerunner utility weapon that fires in 3 round bursts when unscoped, and single shot semi-automatic when scoped.
> > >
> > > When the weapon fires a 3 round burst, it uses ONE ammo bar on the screen, when it fires single shot, it also uses ONE ammo bar. This leads me to believe that it does the SAME damage unscoped so long as all 3 bullets hit.
> > >
> > > It is headshot capable, but will NOT one shot kill a fully shielded enemy when scoped in (contrary to popular belief.)
> > >
> > > The misconception is that it behaves like a Sniper when scoped, killing in one shot, but it DOESNT the enemy that MC killed with it was CLEARLY already heavily damaged by several unscoped shots taken before the final finisher.
> > >
> > > This weapon will likely be a spawning weapon.
> >
> > Where did you get this information?
> > If you came up with it on your own, then I am impressed, but then again unless you played the demo, the information might not be as reliable (no offence) but I believe you none the less.
> >
> > If you got it on a website of some kind, could you lend me a link? I would like to read up if there is any more.
>
> I got this information by paying very close attention. I could already tell EXACTLY how the Grenade Launcher worked before I ever picked it up in Reach just because I watched all the videos of it closely.
>
> If you watch the GameInformer special where they play through the Demo again, you can see alot of what I’m talking about, and they talk about it. Look closely when unscoped shots fire, and you will see they only consume ONE shot in the ammo counter. You can see this while they explain that it fires 3 round bursts when unscoped. This is how I came to that conclusion.
>
> As well, you can see in every instance of the light rifle’s use that the player ALWAYS fires several unscoped shots into the body of the Promethean Knight, weakening his shields, before finishing him off with the headshot.

Well how they both drain one thing of ammo I noticed, which led me to believe they are as powerful as each other, but I wasn’t sure. My theory is, you can only headshot while scoped in, and maybe the burst can’t get a headshot, just drain shields. Maybe both do different damage, one is more powerful to shields? Not quite sure yet since I haven’t got my hands on it.

> I think they wanted to make a weapon that worked like the BR did before Halo 2 came out. It would shoot bursts, but when it zoomed, it worked like a DMR. Hence, Lightrifle.
>
> If you watch the Halo 2 Limited Edition Bonus Disc, you’ll see some footage of the early BR.

Yeah I saw the bonus disc. I remember thinking “Wow, THAT was the BR that we know now?”.
I never really related the two until you mentioned that. That is a really good point you make.