Liang-Dortmund = Weyland Yutani?

Many apologies if this is a re-post, I’m just catching up on halo 5 and all its additions to the mythos after a deployment.

Has there been any speculation and/or teasing from 343 or the Halo story group as to the ‘Weyland Yutani’ feel of this LIang-Dortmund Corporation? Or am I as an Alien fanboy grasping at straws?

I recently read ‘What Remains’ in Halo: Fractures and L-D Corp was even referred to as the ominous “The Company” much like Weyland Yutani has been throughout the Alien Franchise. Also the L-D Corp motto ‘Renewing Worlds’ reminds me quite a bit of Weyland Yutani’s ‘Building Better Worlds’.

Anyway, just throwing this out there to see if anyone else was wondering the same thing.

Thanks,
Biggs

I haven’t seen the alien movies, but I do know it was a really big influence in Halo, so your specultion is entirely possible. It would be cool to see a connection like that in the game.

Its possible. Sgt. Johnson was based on Apone, the Pelican on the dropship in Aliens, the ammo counters & radar, the H3 Flamethrower & the Elite councilors helmets resemble the Xenomorph queen.

> 2533274825911805;1:
> Many apologies if this is a re-post, I’m just catching up on halo 5 and all its additions to the mythos after a deployment.
>
> Has there been any speculation and/or teasing from 343 or the Halo story group as to the ‘Weyland Yutani’ feel of this LIang-Dortmund Corporation? Or am I as an Alien fanboy grasping at straws?
>
> I recently read ‘What Remains’ in Halo: Fractures and L-D Corp was even referred to as the ominous “The Company” much like Weyland Yutani has been throughout the Alien Franchise. Also the L-D Corp motto ‘Renewing Worlds’ reminds me quite a bit of Weyland Yutani’s ‘Building Better Worlds’.
>
> Anyway, just throwing this out there to see if anyone else was wondering the same thing.
>
> Thanks,
> Biggs

Read the Alien and Halo comparisons forum I posted. Youed be surprised on how much alien material inspired halo.

Arkham,

I did see your post and am familiar with the inspirations that the original Bungie guys took from the Alien franchise.

I guess I’m wondering if this isn’t an example of a more overt step, than the borrowing of the dropship or basing Johnson off of Apone… It seems very deliberate. Maybe we’ll get some additional information via comics or short stories leading into 6…

A little bit.

> 2533274825911805;5:
> Arkham,
>
> I did see your post and am familiar with the inspirations that the original Bungie guys took from the Alien franchise.
>
> I guess I’m wondering if this isn’t an example of a more overt step, than the borrowing of the dropship or basing Johnson off of Apone… It seems very deliberate. Maybe we’ll get some additional information via comics or short stories leading into 6…

I am almost sure that Weyland Yutani inspired Laing Dortmund. Being an alien fanboy myself, the “Renewing Worlds” is almost identical to Building better worlds". Plus, they are both companies that colonize planets. Pretty oblivious but good to point out.

They honestly seem more intelligent and less…obsessive than WT though. They’re mostly just out to make money rather than develop some kind of all powerful weapon. If I might note, the CIA has also been called “the Company” before. Actually, I’ve heard a completely innocent phone service group called “the Company” before as well so…
I wouldnt say grasping at straws but Im not sure that was what 343 was going for.
THEN AGAIN.