Level of destruction: Halo 3 ODST X Halo 4

I’ve been playing ODST for a few days and noticed that the level of destruction is bigger than that of Halo 4. The scenery, armor of enemies and even some vehicles. Look when a Phantom in Halo ODST explodes and then take a look at H4. In ODST is much more “realistic” and cool, until the ship makes a really cool noise. In the H4 it shatters, it’s kinda ugly.

I really love the sound the ghosts in older Halos make if you don’t completely destroy them. It’s like they have a epileptic fit and become unstable and unpredictable. If your not careful you can be killed by them splattering you.

I think the reasons why various previous aspects of past games were left out of Halo 4 is because Halo 4 pushed the console hardware to its limits.

I mean this was the first Halo game that required a 2nd installation disk that required 8 GB.

I would love to see the level of destruction increased in Halo 5.

Other than Vehicles and scripted scenes.

I didn’t think Halo 4 had any destruction.

Halo 2 has really been only Halo to have destructive environments although very few.

Halo 5 really needs to return to this. Not like Battlefield, but some things should be destructible.

Halo 4’s physics and explosions were absolute garbage, even Halo 3 had better and longer explosions than Halo 4. I think this was due to hardware limitations though.

> Halo 4’s physics and explosions were absolute garbage, even Halo 3 had better and longer explosions than Halo 4. I think this was due to hardware limitations though.

I hated those sorry Locust and Phantom explosions.

I think Source-style physics would be good for Halo.

> > Halo 4’s physics and explosions were absolute garbage, even Halo 3 had better and longer explosions than Halo 4. I think this was due to hardware limitations though.
>
> I hated those sorry Locust and Phantom explosions.

Yeah the Locust and Phantom explosions where just sad. Halo 3/ODST at least had the upper hand on the Phantoms.

The Covenant cruiser destruction was also pretty pathetic. Just looked like a piñata that just fell apart in a hail of confetti.

> > > Halo 4’s physics and explosions were absolute garbage, even Halo 3 had better and longer explosions than Halo 4. I think this was due to hardware limitations though.
> >
> > I hated those sorry Locust and Phantom explosions.
>
> Yeah the Locust and Phantom explosions where just sad. Halo 3/ODST at least had the upper hand on the Phantoms.
>
> The Covenant cruiser destruction was also pretty pathetic. Just looked like a piñata that just fell apart in a hail of confetti.

I’m just going to but in here, but the Locust were in Halo Wars, not Halo 4. I think you may be referring to the Lich. Also, the gravity well explosions were down right terrible, and were definitely the worst explosions in the campaign.

I definitely agree. The explosions in H4 are just sadly weak and kind of disappointing.

I remember I have been completely impressed and satisfied with Halo 4’s grafics since the first level.
But the explosion at the end of the first level ‘Dawn’ where you lunch that missle into the Covenant cruiser was a big disappointment for me. I actually expected a massive and impressive explosion but all I got to see was a little firework where the cruiser breaks into chunky pieces with some sparks.
The same goes for the Lich. I expected an explosion similar to the one of the Scarab in H3, an huge explosion that even brightens you when you look into it. But again it was a disappointment.

I really enjoyed the several times I played through the Campaign but the explosions were a simple letdown.
Nonetheless I believe that we will see some Halo-worthy explosions in the next title.

I agree, the explosions in Halo 4 were a huge disappointment. They were quite painful to look at, and took a lot away from the graphical quality of the game.

Though I understand that this was due to the Xbox 360’s hardware limitations. Let’s be honest here, there’s only so much you can do on 8 year old hardware, especially with a game that looks as great as Halo 4.

For that reason, I’m confident that these graphical issues will all be fixed in future Halo games. Now that we have a system that’s exponentially more powerful to use with the Xbox One, 343i won’t be nearly as limited with what they can do when it comes to the game’s visuals.

I must say that I always respected Halo for simply outstanding explosions (just spend about a second in Halo: Reach, you’ll know what I’m talking about), but yeah… in Halo 4 not so much haha.

Also, slipspace effects anybody? In pre-Halo 4 splipspace ruptures were screaming purples vortexes that you could respect as realistic. In Halo 4 all you get is some low-res .gif portal followed by low-res Microsoft Paint blue lines appearing on the ships. (lol)

Oh well, hopefully it’ll be fixed with new hardware!

Halo 4 also sports some extremely pix-elated backgrounds whereas older Halos didn’t no matter how close you zoomed in.

> Halo 4 also sports some extremely pix-elated backgrounds whereas older Halos didn’t no matter how close you zoomed in.

Yea they did especially halo 1 and 2. The reason halo 4s effects are lousy is because it has so much memory dedicated to the graphics itself. 343 did not have enough resources to create good effects to match the sheer power of the games graphics engine. Next gen consoles will fix this however as they have cloud computing and all new hardware.