Letter to 343

Below is a letter I’ve written for 343 about Halo 4. I’ve sent this via mail to them care of Microsoft, but since I haven’t seen an official address specifically for 343, I’m posting it here in hopes someone involved with the game will see it. Considering this is likely to be met with disagreement on this forum, I have no intention of returning to this thread. Of course there are bound to be inane responses to this thread by people who are part of the problem. People for whom ‘honor’ is a foreign concept. These imbeciles are likely to assume I am just angry that I lose a lot. For one, I win more games than I lose, and two, I really don’t care whether I win or lose. I care whether an inferior player wins. If the game is set up to consistently reward lesser players, the entire concept of true competition is abandoned. I hope just hope 343 will read and take my message into consideration.

Hello. As a big fan of both the Halo single player and multiplayer experiences, I’d like to point out a few problems that have plagued the online Halo experience in one form or another through each of Halo’s online titles.

First; crouching. There is no need for it in multiplayer. Any player making use of the crouch is doing one of two things. The first possibility is sneaking around to avoid appearing on radar or getting into some position that the player feels will give them a tactical advantage. This is simple cowardice. It’s possible to be still or walk very slowly to avoid appearing on radar. No crouching required. Sneaking around is cowardly and shouldn’t be encouraged. Save it for Splinter Cell. That being said, we all know the real reason people crouch is, of course, humping dead opponents. Also known as “t-bagging” by morons and idiots. This is a silly, juvenile taunt, not a valid celebration. It also gives morons who use it a feeling of dominance, even though they are frequently inferior players overall. These problems can be most simply solved by eliminating the crouch feature from multiplayer. It could be used in single player to get under obstacles or take cover, but it is not really needed in multiplayer. If you must include it, add some kind of penalty for misuse. For example, if Player A kills Player B, and Player A crouches near Player B’s corpse within the respawn time, he dies instantly with a 20 second respawn penalty (in the case of a normal 5 second respawn time). Whatever the solution you choose, the practice of humping has no place in an M-rated title. Troublingly, Bungie seemed to at least partially embrace this idiocy. I hope you’ll be more mature in your approach.

Second are a few different weapons. The rocket launcher has no place in any game type without vehicles. The energy sword has no place in any game whatsoever. While Halo Reach’s armor lock ability was helpful in thwarting the effect of these weapons, they were still included in game types where no armor lock was available. They’ve literally provided millions of underserved kills to undeserving players. Please be a little more thoughtful when placing weapons like these in multiplayer maps. If I’m not mistaken, the humans and Covenant have no major animosity at this point in the story, so the removal of the energy sword would make a great deal of sense. Save the rocket launcher for matches involving vehicles.

Next is yellow-bellied tactics. Most of this involves running together in a cowardly group. A game mode should be implemented that penalizes proximity to one’s teammates. For example, if a player decides to be a coward and hang around one of his teammates during the game (for the simple reason that he’s not good enough on his own), both teammates should suffer a 25% shield drain. If the player is within a certain distance of two of his teammates, all three will suffer a 50% shield drain. This way, players are encouraged to traverse the level looking for opponents on their own without gathering together for a cheap win, and a team’s final score is more representative of their abilities as players. A simple glance at heatmaps for any level in Halo: Reach or Halo 3 will reveal certain areas that have high kill concentrations because of the common strategy of gaining control of an area and camping there as a team. My solution discourages this.

These are just brief summaries of a few problems that I’m sure you’ve noticed yourselves when playing Halo games online. You’ll notice that the common thread shared by all of these problems is cowardice. I hope as you develop the next game in the Halo series, you will do your best to punish cowardice (and immaturity) and reward honorable, respectable play.

HAHAHA i love crouch lol they shouldnt take it out and u just sound like someone who gets t-bagged to much…lol

DEAR 343I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE ABILITY FOR OTHER PLAYERS TO SHOOT ME IT HAS ALLOWED THE ENJOYMENT OF MILLIONS OF OTHER PLAYERS AND IT IS SIMPLY A SELFISH DESIGN CHOICE

What’s the street address that you sent that letter to?

I need to write them and tell them we’re sorry that you didn’t take your medication when you wrote that…

Naah, nevermind, I’ll just let them read it thinking you’re completely sane - it’ll allow them to laugh that much harder.

Hey I have a video for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9kpTvm6CYA.

But pretty much you’re basically admitting the following things:
You get owned by people crouching.
You get Tebagged alot.
You get owned with a rocket launcher and sword.
You strave off from the group and die rather quickly when another group owns you.
and all and all you suck at this game.

Sword belongs in Grifball or Swords FFA, and you need to take cover in MM too, that is what I use crouching for

1. Crouching/teabagging

This is a very important factor in Halo. You seem to forget a lot of people who play the game ( on this site most of the time ) are apart of the competitive community. You simply show that our tactics work. Tactics you may ask?

Halo is a game of mental awareness and mind games. I don’t even play in games with radar unless it’s doubles or team classic. The only normal playlist I play. Other than that you will find me in MLG. 2v2 and 1v1 is very much different than a 5v5 or 4v4. I will give you an example of 1v1. As many know, Halo 2’s Lockout, is very much known for hours of 1v1 games played on it. My friend, a formal MLG player, had plenty of games on this map. If there is one this he taught me, using radar to mess with your opponents is very important. Run one way on radar then slowly track back. Other words, crouch. Why? Mind games. They are key to any victory in Halo. The more you mess with the other players mind, the more they will make mistakes. This can be achieved by two things. Having very good knowledge of every map to take advantage of the choke points and fast get away routs, and knowing how to use what weapons in what situations.

Which brings me to teabagging. Just saying it is childish and stupid, shows that this simple tactic works to perfection when playing mind games. For the best example, this is the equivalent of me pushing you when you’re trying to punch me, and me laughing at you. The harder you try, the more mistakes you will make and the more frustrated you will get. So the advantage goes to me.

1. Power weapons.

Halo is a sandbox game. Everybody will start out as equals. ( Use to at least. Not in Reach. ) Anybody who has played Halo knows power weapon control is earned because players will fight for them and the player who wins the firefight earns his fruits of labor. There is no excuse. Halo has had PW in matchmaking since the beginning. Even if, PW do not win games. Smart players do. They do not lead to wins.

1. Team shooting.

Keyword. TEAM. Teamwork is what wins 2v2 up to 5v5. Communication, and team shots are a very good way to win a game. Call out an enemy and send two players in that direction. Just because you want to blindly run around, then spray and pray, does not mean everybody else is going to do that. Players are here to get as many cR ( Ew ) as they can get out of a game. If you don’t like it then play rumble pit and rely on yourself. But don’t come here and say this breaks gameplay, because good teams have beat you. Learn to play the game or play something else.

Nothing you posted is game breaking at all. Evidence? 10 years of halo with CEA and 4 on the way. Yes Reach is the worst Halo by far. But smart teams know how to win with what they are given. I think you should reread this post and learn what Halo is and get a better understanding of the game. No offence and I don’t mean to attack you in any such way. I am being civil. But you need to study your history before posing this kind of content.

Thanks and have a good one.

> DEAR 343I THINK THAT YOU SHOULD REMOVE THE ABILITY FOR OTHER PLAYERS TO SHOOT ME IT HAS ALLOWED THE ENJOYMENT OF MILLIONS OF OTHER PLAYERS AND IT IS SIMPLY A SELFISH DESIGN CHOICE

^^THIS XD

Dear 343 please remove the ability to play against me it has caused so much frustration, why not make everyone in the same team? Then everyone wins and is happy!

> Dear 343 please remove the ability to play against me it has caused so much frustration, why not make everyone in the same team? Then everyone wins and is happy!

Agreed. Finally a good idea. :smiley:

Hey I can completely agree with your statements but you forgot a few key points that also ruin gameplay. What they HAVE to remove is the melee system, it just causes so much frustration when your close to death and they melee you, its soooo not fair. They also need to take out or nerf the sniper rifle. It should be 3 shot weapon to the head or 5 to the body cuz when i getz sn1ned its not fair 343 and please take out every other weapons!!! Weapons in game keep causing me to die and loosing!! /Sarcasm

Is this guy serious? I should slap his mom just because his statement is so rediculious, i dont think MY statement was more stupid than his. Geez.

343 opens E-mail

> Hello. As a big fan of both the Halo single player and multiplayer experiences, I’d like to point out a few problems that have plagued the online Halo experience in one form or another through each of Halo’s online titles.
>
> First; crouching. There is no need for it in multiplayer.

343 deletes E-mail

> 343 opens E-mail
>
>
>
> > Hello. As a big fan of both the Halo single player and multiplayer experiences, I’d like to point out a few problems that have plagued the online Halo experience in one form or another through each of Halo’s online titles.
> >
> > First; crouching. There is no need for it in multiplayer.
>
> 343 deletes E-mail

lol i can completely imagine bs Angel doing that.

> I have no intention of returning to this thread.

The forums are for discussion along with providing feedback. Thanks for offering the second. Since you’re not interested in the first, I’m going to go ahead and lock this.