Lets tweek our grenades

So I have an idea than could make grenades more powerful, more useful, and with more variety. Each grenade could have the ability to be modified in order to give it a useful buff. there would be several different ones available for each kind of grenade (frag, plasma, pulse) and to apply it one would first select a grenade type then click X on it in the loadout menu, choose the one they want, just like selecting a skin for a weapon.

So here are a few we could see for each grenade;

Frags:
lightweight alloy - grenade can be thrown further and moves through the air faster.

fuse control - use the D-pad to adjust how long the fuse is.

Plasma:
Scorched ground - area within plasma explosion is rendered hazardous for a few moments due to superheated plasma. (think of the halo 3 fire grenade)

heat seeking - plasma grenades home slightly on targets, making sticks easier.

Pulse:
Gravity well - enemies are sucked towards the pulse blast

ion stabilizer - explosion duration and radius increased.

these are just a few brainstormed examples but I think you get the idea! so what do you think?

I’m not sure this is going to go down with anyone. Homing on a plasma nade O.O
Please no. Just no.

Personally for Halo 5 I would like to see just frags in the option for loadouts. Pulse grenades work much better as map pick ups as do sticky grenades. The idea of making the Pulse grenade like the fire bomb nade would be pretty redundant if we just brought the fire bomb and brute nade back further increasing the sandbox :stuck_out_tongue:

Sounds like a cool idea for a game like Halo Wars 2, since it would be centered around upgrading units to be stronger or more situation-appropriate. But in an FPS that bases its gameplay on in-game strategy rather than situation-appropriate classes? Nah.

Btw, ideas like this would probably belong in the Halo Xbox One forum.

Not only would that be OP, it’d be just plain annoying…

I could accept some of these ideas if they were map pickup, but knowing you they would prob be in load out…

In that case, no, no, and no,
0.00000000000001/10

huh? you guys would not like this? but wait just think about getting a double kill after sucking two enemies into the pulse blast with the gravity well mod; how awesome would that be?

> huh? you guys would not like this? but wait just think about getting a double kill after sucking two enemies into the pulse blast with the gravity well mod; how awesome would that be?

Honestly sounds like a crutch to me. :confused:

I like the concept of modifying grenades, but some of your ideas seem too game changing, such as the heat seeking plasma grenades.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

My honest opinion? I think all of your ideas to “improve” Halo are terrible. Since you bash the way Halo played its first 9 years of existence I have no problem with offering up my own criticisms.

The whole “Heat Seeking” and “Black hole”-style grenade options are rather busted… It’s not like the 1MA perk, in CoD, it’s not that bad, but it’s something that would be spammed and abused pretty quickly.

However, in another game that’s 1 player, it actually sounds pretty cool. it sounds something like what you could see in borderlands or something.

How about no.

Grenades should stay grenades like they always have. There have never been problems with them other than Reach’s grenukes, power wise or not. This would not only make grenades too powerful, but it would literally destroy fluid gameplay. People would come to rely on the homing plasmas (I cringe most at this) or gravity well pulses way too much. The problems would also be amplified by personal loadouts.

The best listed idea is the one with fuse time, but I personally think we should go back to what CE did: powerful grenades but longer fuses.

I think I prefer the simple and easy to remember grenades we have…

> The whole “Heat Seeking” and “Black hole”-style grenade options are rather busted… It’s not like the 1MA perk, in CoD, it’s not that bad, but it’s something that would be spammed and abused pretty quickly.
>
> However, in another game that’s 1 player, it actually sounds pretty cool. it sounds something like what you could see in borderlands or something.

funny enough, It was there was actually a beta weapon in a game called Half Life episode 2 that acts EXATCLY as the ops describes… Heres some footage of it right here

funny enough, it was cut becasue it was considered too OP…

FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME…

now imagine the monster of a weapon you saw in the video in a halo match…

no.

these are a crutch for people who cant throw a nade on target and most of these would be op as well as destroying any type of balance in the game.

to be honest id say the ways grenades work is fine and needs no tweaking really. each type does their own thing.

just my 2 cents tho.

> > The whole “Heat Seeking” and “Black hole”-style grenade options are rather busted… It’s not like the 1MA perk, in CoD, it’s not that bad, but it’s something that would be spammed and abused pretty quickly.
> >
> > However, in another game that’s 1 player, it actually sounds pretty cool. it sounds something like what you could see in borderlands or something.
>
> funny enough, It was there was actually a beta weapon in a game called Half Life episode 2 that acts EXATCLY as the ops describes… Heres some footage of it right here
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Dlheh5HbM
>
> funny enough, it was cut becasue it was considered too OP…
>
> FOR A SINGLE PLAYER GAME…
>
> now imagine the monster of a weapon you saw in the video in a halo match…

Sweet mother of god.

“Foster, you and me are going to have a talk…”

I dislike the idea of homing, black-hole grenades even more now.

No, no, no, and no.

Did I mention no?

Grenades don’t need mods and perks. You want to be able to change the aesthetics of them, fine, but nothing to change how they affect gameplay.

At first, I think “Hmmm…interesting…” Then I see this…

> heat seeking - plasma grenades home slightly on targets, making sticks easier.

“LOL NOPE.”

Grenades are fine as they are. Don’t fix things that aren’t broken.

ok ok OK how about approaching this from a different angle; instead of just selecting a mod for the grenade we could have a menu that allows players to adjust various properties.

there would be a few categories, such as explosion radius, damage, fuse delay (more credits allocated here means the grenade blows faster), and weight (more credits allocated here make the grenade lighter and easier to throw). players are designated X amount of credits to distribute amongst these categories as they see fit and in doing so craft a grenade that behaves unique to their preference in a balanced manner.

> players are designated X amount of credits to distribute amongst these categories as they see fit and in doing so craft a grenade that behaves unique to their preference in a balanced manner.

It has nothing to do with balance. It’s about predictability. Is that grenade going to explode in 0.5 seconds or 0.7 seconds? Am I far enough away from the grenade to avoid the blast? After taking damage from a grenade at X distance, how much more damage can I take before dying? There is absolutely no way to know, and therefore no way to plan, and therefore no way to strategize or outsmart.

Imagine how unappealing Chess would be to Chess masters if you could allocate points to attributes of pieces, or give them perks or “upgrades.” The game would cease to be about strategy and prediction, and more about appropriateness and luck (e.g. my opponent, by chance, happened to pick a less appropriate “upgrade,” and I won as a result).

“But the strategy comes from picking the appropriate perk beforehand!”

That type of gameplay has as much strategy as rock-paper-scissors: there is no way for me to know what my opponent is going to choose, and therefore whether I win or lose against him is going to be based more on chance than anything else. The only thing I can do is choose rock and hope to goodness he chose scissors. Or choose scissors and hope to goodness he chose paper. And so on.

Uniform equipment (all equipment works the same way) = good. Uniform players (everyone playing the same way) = bad.
Unpredictable players = good. Unpredictable mechanics/equipment = bad.

Great and creative idea, however its a little too complicated and I would be really confused in what to choose from. Personally, a regular plasma grenade suits me just fine.

> ok ok OK how about approaching this from a different angle; instead of just selecting a mod for the grenade we could have a menu that allows players to adjust various properties.
>
> there would be a few categories, such as explosion radius, damage, fuse delay (more credits allocated here means the grenade blows faster), and weight (more credits allocated here make the grenade lighter and easier to throw). players are designated X amount of credits to distribute amongst these categories as they see fit and in doing so craft a grenade that behaves unique to their preference in a balanced manner.

…that’s worse then your first idea.

> -SNIP-

This.