Let's Talk About The Magnum, Should it be Nerfed? Buffed? or Tweaked?

We all know about the Halo Reach Magnum, It’s an okay weapon, can get a couple nice kills, but compared to other weapons in the game its practically useless.

In Halo the average player sees the Magnum is the weapon to drop at the beginning of a game. I hate to see such a nice weapon be dropped for something like the AR or a Needle Rifle.

I Am in belief that the Magnum should be tweaked in some ways,
-Buffed ROF, That of the Beta
-Nerfed sk, More like a 6sk, and 10 to the body.
-magazine extended to 10, this ensures a kill if each bullet makes contact
-More Accurate when ADS’d

The accuracy is just fine as is, In the beta it was far to accurate and outgunned the AR too many times, I think that the magnum should be a useful CQC weapon that would be on par with the AR and the PR, but it does need to be more accurate when scoped. The Magnum needs to also outgun the DMR in CQC ALWAYS, as it is a CQC weapon and the DMR is not, The DMR should always outgun the Magnum at Medium/long range. I find it that when one spams at long range they can almost outgun someone that is Scoped, (Magnum Vs. Magnum).

I want opinions, Is the Magnum OP, UP, just give me your thoughts, and tell me what you think of my idea,

Buffed.

http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/6892.aspx?PageIndex=1

Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!

> Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!

If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)

> > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
>
> If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)

It already does compete. But its a PISTOL!

> > > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
> >
> > If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)
>
> It already does compete. But its a PISTOL!

Yes. Its a Pistol.

What about it? Because its a Pistol, I am to assume its of lesser quality in comparison of other guns? And Pistol ammo should be easy to carry, why can we only carry 5 magazines?

> > > > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
> > >
> > > If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)
> >
> > It already does compete. But its a PISTOL!
>
> Yes. Its a Pistol.
>
> …
> What about it? Because its a Pistol, I am to assume its of lesser quality in comparison of other guns? And Pistol ammo should be easy to carry, why can we only carry 5 magazines?

Its a sidearm not a rifle. It doesnt need more ammo its perfect as is. Actually use it correctly and you wouldnt be asking for this.

> > > > > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
> > > >
> > > > If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)
> > >
> > > It already does compete. But its a PISTOL!
> >
> > Yes. Its a Pistol.
> >
> > …
> > What about it? Because its a Pistol, I am to assume its of lesser quality in comparison of other guns? And Pistol ammo should be easy to carry, why can we only carry 5 magazines?
>
> Its a sidearm not a rifle. It doesnt need more ammo its perfect as is. Actually use it correctly and you wouldnt be asking for this.

Actually use it correctly…
You’re still assuming a side arm can’t be of equal greatness to a rifle, especially 500 or so years into the future. Reach’s balance depends on a triangular system of pros and cons when it comes to the mid range weapons. The Pistol is apart of this triangle, yet the triangle is broken. The Pistol is so close to being just right to rmeemdy this broken triangle that only minor fixes need be made.

OP, you want the Reach pistol to be a six shot kill? As if it could be more insulting to the original one.

i would never drop the pistol unless i really had to
i love it
i love halo CE pistol
halo 2 pistol was crap
halo 3 pistol was even worse
reach pistol is pretty good
but tends to not work correctly sometimes
but i still would never drop it
i own people with it
but on occasion it does spam out too much
it needs to tweak a little to be more deadly in close medium range and with bloom reset faster
that is only complaint also maybe increase clip size to 10 but i think 8 is fine
people dont like pistol because they dont know how to use it
but i four shot people in the head all the time
check my reach stats the pistol is one of my highest used weapons

> > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
>
> If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)

there is absolutely no reason a pistol should compete with a rifle at mid to long range. the pistol is just fine.

the DMR need bloom adjusted on the other hand.

> > > Heck no! Dont you dare touch the magnum. It is PERFECT! This is how it should be, just dont spam it unless you are point blank. Heck I won a rumble pit game by at least 10 kills just using the magnum. Dont change it!
> >
> > If it was perfect, it could actively compete with the other precision weapons. It needs more ammunition, whether in the clip or capacity or both (preferrably both). The bloom must also be modified in the event of a bigger clip (slower bloom rate, bigger bloom size)
>
> there is absolutely no reason a pistol should compete with a rifle at mid to long range. the pistol is just fine.
>
> the DMR need bloom adjusted on the other hand.

Why not? Do tell. I’d love to hear your explanation for a weapon in the future being incapable of being just as good as a rifle in functionality.

tweaked. in the Beta i got a hail to the king and countless triple kills with it but in the finished game i can only just get doubles. still a good weapon thought

> Actually use it correctly…
> You’re still assuming a side arm can’t be of equal greatness to a rifle, especially 500 or so years into the future. Reach’s balance depends on a triangular system of pros and cons when it comes to the mid range weapons. The Pistol is apart of this triangle, yet the triangle is broken. The Pistol is so close to being just right to rmeemdy this broken triangle that only minor fixes need be made.

get more kills with it, i have over 5000. http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/default.aspx?player=LightspeedFlash&vc=3

i think the pistol in reach is perfect. now the dmr, that is the problem. when you have DMR starts, there is no reason to ever switch to your Pistol, that is why i always vote AR starts, that was there can be Pistol play.

The problem isn’t the magnum, the only reason its relatively useless is that because the bloom mechanic on the DMR doesn’t punish spammers enough at close ranges, but completely dominates the magnum at medium-long ranges, the DMR makes the magnum essentially redundant. Fix the bloom on the DMR so that it isn’t effective at close range, and the magnum will have it’s niche.

> > Actually use it correctly…
> > You’re still assuming a side arm can’t be of equal greatness to a rifle, especially 500 or so years into the future. Reach’s balance depends on a triangular system of pros and cons when it comes to the mid range weapons. The Pistol is apart of this triangle, yet the triangle is broken. The Pistol is so close to being just right to rmeemdy this broken triangle that only minor fixes need be made.
>
> get more kills with it, i have over 5000. http://www.bungie.net/stats/reach/careerstats/default.aspx?player=LightspeedFlash&vc=3
>

> i think the pistol in reach is perfect. now the dmr, that is the problem. when you have DMR starts, there is no reason to ever switch to your Pistol, that is why i always vote AR starts, that was there can be Pistol play.

Cool. You’ve played more games than I have. Therefore, I do not have as many kills as you. And i’m not saying I’m the bst with the weapon. It was just argued that I should learn to use the weapon, which I clearly know how to do with my stats.

And I beat DMR users with the Pistol, so i fail to see the issue in that. It just requires a certain discipline, of which not a tremendous amount of people have. Besides, buffing the Pistol with more ammunition (and a slight decrease in bloom rate) will just help us against DMR users, anyway. The DMR need not be changed since the Pistol and NR would be able to combat it better in certain niches.

> The problem isn’t the magnum, the only reason its relatively useless is that because the bloom mechanic on the DMR doesn’t punish spammers enough at close ranges, but completely dominates the magnum at medium-long ranges, the DMR makes the magnum essentially redundant. Fix the bloom on the DMR so that it isn’t effective at close range, and the magnum will have it’s niche.

Sir, this is how the weapon’s should be:
Short range: Magnum>DMR>NR
Mid Range: NR>Magnum>DMR
Long Range: DMR>NR>Magnum

The game as it is is close to this formula, and only needs minor tweaking/buffing on the Magnum’s part to achieve.

Damage is fine, it’s the bloom that’s the problem.

On host pistol is amazing, off host pistol is terrible due to the terrible bloom model

the pistol is fine, man. i have beat DMR users with a Plasma Repeater, it all depends on the skill of the other guy.

the way it “should” be is use the pistol till you find a DMR. i love the pistol but it only makes sense, halo is about everyone starting equal and then upgrading. that is my main problem with AA, too.

i think the pistol is the part of the perfect starting combo. AR/Pistol are simply the best. it encourage the most varity in weapon usage. in that i mean people use the DMR, AR and Pistol plus the power weapons.

> > The problem isn’t the magnum, the only reason its relatively useless is that because the bloom mechanic on the DMR doesn’t punish spammers enough at close ranges, but completely dominates the magnum at medium-long ranges, the DMR makes the magnum essentially redundant. Fix the bloom on the DMR so that it isn’t effective at close range, and the magnum will have it’s niche.
>
> Sir, this is how the weapon’s should be:
> Short range: Magnum>DMR>NR
> Mid Range: NR>Magnum>DMR
> Long Range: DMR>NR>Magnum
>
> The game as it is is close to this formula, and only needs minor tweaking/buffing on the Magnum’s part to achieve.

I say leave it the way it is. Its not like its gonna be used in multiplayer.