Let's Talk About Forced Team Colors

So, everyone knows that for all 6 Halo games, when a team game is going on, people would always have forced red and blue colors. This is done for obvious reasons but here’s the problem. At least half of the playlists are team games. And the most popular ones also being team games. So for around the majority of your MM time, you playing in stock red or blue.

And this blows because it means we obviously can’t play with our own customized suit colors for the majority of the time. I think we should change this. What if the names that show upon other players heads were colored instead of the suit? I’m imagining something sort of like this:

Where the top part shows what the gamertags would look like in the map over peoples heads and the bottom part shows how the scoreboard would look.

Of course, in custom games, we should be able to toggle forced colors on and off but I think for MM, this would be awesome.

At this point in Halo’s lifespan, I think that change would take a while to get used to. But I personally could see this working; it’s basically what most shooters do anyway.

> At this point in Halo’s lifespan, I think that change would take a while to get used to. But I personally could see this working; it’s basically what most shooters do anyway.

It would, but as you said, I think the benefits would be worth it. It won’t take long to get used to anyway.

Further, we could also make to where a player can choose whether or not he wants the stock colors to show on his screen or not. Sort of like the Force Default Models option that you find in some FPS’ but for colors instead.

Another thing to note is that Red vs Blue Multiplayer is pretty iconic to Halo. A lot of people wouldn’t like to see it go.

> Another thing to note is that Red vs Blue Multiplayer is pretty iconic to Halo. A lot of people wouldn’t like to see it go.

That’s understandable. That’s why I suggested a Force Default Colors option so anyone that just wants everyone to be stock red and blue in team games can have it if they want to.

Interesting idea. I would like to see something creative like this implemented but only after the other 10,000 things wrong with previous Halos are fixed. Priorities.

So…did anybody else love the Halo Reach Beta Invasion color scheme for teams. That was fantastic.

I don’t like it, to be honest. I like RvB multiplayer. Putting it “as an option” for custom games is not good enough because it would mean that the actual multiplayer won’t play like it (and I hardly play team games in customs). If you really believe in your idea, it’s cool but not necessarily relevant to others. I could tell YOU they can make no-team-colors as an option in custom games instead, because I like team colors. If you really want to prove a point, make a poll.

Well if you want to get ride of forced colors, another thing you could do is separate races. Think of Gears of War, everyone looks the way they want(mostly.) The only time color truly comes into play is with small lights and at long range. Maybe Elites could be one side and Spartans the other(or some other combination of aliens Vs. Spartans.)

> So…did anybody else love the Halo Reach Beta Invasion color scheme for teams. That was fantastic.

Oh yes, I definitely having the green vs purple, with each group of two having its slightly different shades of colours. It really was an interesting experience, and I’m disappointed that they reverted to red vs blue in invasion.

However, for regular team gametypes, I think that they should stick to good old red vs blue. It’s what we’ve always had in Halo games, and there’s no reason to really go changing that now. However, they should stick to the red and blue from the original trilogy/Reach rather than these ugly pastel colours we have in Halo 4.

I understand all about tradition but how much are we going refuse anything that goes against tradition? When do old, outdated mechanics become tradition? And as I keep saying, there could be a Force Default Colors option for everyone who wants to see the stock red and blue.

I like the idea, but it would take a long time to get use to it :confused:

Why not bring back the armour detail?

> Why not bring back the armour detail?

Armor detail? Don’t understand.

> I understand all about tradition but how much are we going refuse anything that goes against tradition? When do old, outdated mechanics become tradition? And as I keep saying, there could be a Force Default Colors option for everyone who wants to see the stock red and blue.

I see what you mean. For people who want to see others as RED&BLUE all they have to do is toggle it but everyone else who didn’t toggle it will still see others as they want to see them. I like this idea. Ever since Halo 3 threatre i was somewhat disappointed that when i saw my Spartan in MP he was Red or Blue. I enjoy the colors but it would of been better to save my awesome tings with my golden armor but it didn’t bother me too much…for some reason in Reach it really did.

> Why not bring back the armour detail?

Also good, let the detail be able to have different sizes and shapes like…Sangheili tattoos, plasma burns, brute claw marks, forerunner symbols, H3 Style weapon skins and a grunt skull. IDK i’m just spilling out ideas.

> Another thing to note is that Red vs Blue Multiplayer is pretty iconic to Halo. A lot of people wouldn’t like to see it go.

Took the words right out of my mouth, lol. Indeed, its very iconic, and very common. Changing the colors would be a mistake, IMO. However, on certain playlists, like Dominion or Exraction *i have to play the game again), the colors should be Green (UNSC/Defense) and Purple (Covies/Offense). Just those two, everything else, excluding the FFA’s, should remain with Red and Blue team colors.

Personally, I have no issue with removing Team Colors. It’s easy to tell enemies from friendlies just by their name being above their head or not, your crosshair being red or not, etc.

IMO, Invasion should have let the player keep their own colors, because it’s not like were going to get confused on who our enemy is.

Also, I’m not to big on removing forced team colors. Not only because Red vs Blue is iconic to Halo, but it will lead to betrayals no matter how hard you try.

You could try removing the aim-assist on teammates, but with powerweapons that have insta-kills (Rocket Launchers) the user’s first instinct is to shoot what they see moving first… And by the time that you’ve realized that you just shot at a teammate, it’s too late…

Another possible solution would to be just removing Friendly Fire altogether, but that would destroy a huge sense of discipline. And you would have ten year old teammates constantly shooting you and you wouldn’t be able to do anything about it without the betrayal booting system.

Either way, I’d like to have that option in Customs, but it’s not foreseeable in matchmaking, especially with 343i’s vision of making Halo more “graspable”

I would like a custom option to turn team colors off. With waypoints above team heads, motion trackers, red/green reticles and red names over enemies, I don’t think it would be a problem.