Lets talk about a touchy subject, the AR.

More specifically lets talk about the AR for Halo 4, how powerful it should be, its balance.

Talk about the AR is scattered all around the forums, opinions are also very mixed in every thread I visit. Lets bring all the talk into one post and help 343 get the majorities ideal balance for this gun.

The AR is an iconic weapon throughout the Halo series, being the MC’s main weapon and being included into 4 of the 5 FPS halo’s its important to the game but its also widely debated on how powerful it should be.

In Halo CE the AR had a very fast firing rate and decent stopping power (16 sk), it had a very short range though and wasn’t very useful at any range besides SHORT.

Come Halo 3 and the AR’s return it was made more accurate, but had less stopping power (16 sk but slow RoF) and a slower rate of fire. Along with that it sounded like it shot pea’s . . . not bullets.

Last is Halo Reach (ODST doesn’t count here) Rate of fire stayed almost the same as Halo 3’s, damage was decreased (19 sk), and it still remained unaccurate.

Many people generally dislike the AR for being noob friendly and not skillful to use, however as it is, it is a terrible gun to use at any range besides CLOSE range.

What I suggest is taking the Halo CE AR and keeping its RoF and damage and mixing it with Halo 3’s (more accurate at least . . . ) accurateness and clip size. Also a recoil function should be added like the SMG’s in Halo 2 and 3 just not as bad. Enough to lose control if your not used to it and enough to prevail if you can handle it.

As in every subject there is always more than one side, what I listed above is my opinion, and its not even a concrete one. I personally liked the BR but I always wanted my AR to be able to defend me until I got to my BR, and it didn’t always help out.

So, all in all I want to hear your opinions of how the AR should handle. I would love to make a poll but it doesn’t look like I can.

It needs to become a bullet hose that will dominate close range but will lose to a very skilled pistol/BR/DMR user if they can hit their shots. It needs to be effective for cleaning up kills when your clip on your other weapon runs out, but not something that’s so powerful that everyone in the game is using it.

Also, you should never ever ever spawn with just an AR. You always need to spawn with a headshot weapon.

i think the ar should remain a piece of -Yoink-
if a good player has a br they should always beat someone with the ar
but if a bad player has the br and doesn’t know how to use it they should lose to the ar

> It needs to become a bullet hose that will dominate close range but will lose to a very skilled pistol/BR/DMR user if they can hit their shots. It needs to be effective for cleaning up kills when your clip on your other weapon runs out, but not something that’s so powerful that everyone in the game is using it.
>
> Also, you should never ever ever spawn with just an AR. You always need to spawn with a headshot weapon.

This.

Depends on magazine size
If it’s a 32 round mag, it should be 16sk with a slightly higher fire rate than Halo 3, with the same amount of accuracy
If it’s 60 round mag, it should be a 20sk, high fire rate, but only slightly less accurate than Halo 3’s

> It needs to become a bullet hose that will dominate close range but will lose to a very skilled pistol/BR/DMR user if they can hit their shots. It needs to be effective for cleaning up kills when your clip on your other weapon runs out, but not something that’s so powerful that everyone in the game is using it.
>
> Also, you should never ever ever spawn with just an AR. You always need to spawn with a headshot weapon.

this

There’s a lot of false assumptions/accusations about the AR.

The CE AR is a spray and pray weapon at close range. It fires fast enough and has enough ammo in reserve that that is how it can be used. Not only that, but because of the spread, yes you indeed have to pray to get all shots to hit, or stack the odds heavily in your favour.

The Halo3 AR is not a spray and pray weapon, that falls to the SMG(s) for that title. The Halo3 AR does have decent range, however, its spread, even when pulsed makes it less than reliable weapon outside of nearly OSK-Shotgun range. It’s not so much a spray and pray, it’s a pulse and pray.

The Reach AR, thanks to bloom, is very precise when pulsed. Extremely accurate when pulsed and in red-reticle. When red-reticled and sprayed, is very imprecise, yet still very accurate. When not in red-reticle, the Reach AR is very inaccurate and imprecise. If controlled, it’s a deadly weapon. If sprayed, it is a very unreliable weapon. That is indicates a need of skill to use.

Now in the grand scheme of things, that the AR needs so many of its imprecise shots to hit to net a kill, that it doesn’t register headshots to unshielded enemies, it indeed requires a lot of skill to consistently get kills with it as a skilled precision weapon user has a huge advantage when keeping range.

I prefer Reach or CE’s versions equally, for each is their own charm on how to get the job done. The Halo3, it’s as weak as it sounds. The Reach AR, I wish it had the CE sound.

My idea is to have it more similar to Halo 3’s. Its reticule is smaller and is fairl useful in short/ medium range. And it can reach out and touch people a bit at a distance giving it the ability to help a teamate if needed. Now remember that the SMG will also probably make a return in Halo 4. The Smg has a much larger reticule and is not nearly as effective at mid range as the AR.

Just something to think about. Didn’t feel the need to go in to too much detail.

the AR is fine as long as it’s never the starting weapon for a gametype. I want a BR or something equivalent every match in my hands at the start. I’m even cool with a BR + AR combo. But not just an AR that promotes herp derp gameplay.

I’d prefer the AR to… you know…

not be in Halo 4. Like… at all. That’d be sweet.

> I’d prefer the AR to… you know…
>
> not be in Halo 4. Like… at all. That’d be sweet.

It is telling to consider that the one iteration lacking the AR probably had the best online gameplay in the series.

> i think the ar should remain a piece of Yoink!
> if a good player has a br they should always beat someone with the ar
> but if a bad player has the br and doesn’t know how to use it they should lose to the ar

I read this as, “I hate not having my 1 weapon for every situation. Nerf everything so my BR dominates in all areas again.” … I hate that

The AR isn’t for noobs. People that can’t use it properly or when latency takes effect take a whole clip to kill an unmoving target.

It needs to be a tad more accurate than now. Decrease the bloom some but add recoil so if you don’t know how to control it then it’s pointless. Then increase clips size by like 10 bullets. Finally it needs a bit more power. Not much. Just like a sliver more. Also make it so short controlled bursts actually work.

Obviously all weapons would need to be balanced properly so they all have weaknesses and are next to impossible for them to beat a weapon inside that weapons niche. Kind of annoying being shotgun killed by a sniper rifle. Annoying to see a DMR/BR beat shotguns/swords at point blank range. ect.

The ideal AR, in my opinion:

Halo 3 damage*
Halo 3 range
Minor SMG-like recoil, as suggested in the OP
Massive Reach-style** (increases with firing duration) bloom to force burst-firing (much like most ARs in Brink)

• Perhaps nerf it a wee bit against shields, but buff it by just as much against health?

** …But with a tweak to the algorithm, so that shots are more likely to land toward the outside of the reticle… Reach-style bloom is a circle where your shots can land. I want a donut.

>

I agree with this.

What I would do is buff the AR to a 16 shot kill and give it a 48/60 round mag, and give it Halo 3’s accuracy.

what does sk mean?

The Halo 1 Assault Rifle fit it’s purpose perfectly. It was powerful at close range and it’s was a decent weapon at Short-Medium range. That’s the role it’s supposed to fill. I think however that the new Assault Rifle should be a blend between Reach’s and halo 1’s. Keep the rate of fire and stopping power of Halo 1’s, but have the accuracy and magazine size from the Halo Reach one. Also to all the people saying that it should be a really weak, that just makes the game boring when you only have to use a few weapons out of all the weapons available.

> what does sk mean?

“Shot kill”

Example: The BR is a 4 shot kill = The BR is a 4sk.

Ok I’d like to dispute something here with the OP on the accuracy of each of the AR’s versions throughout each halo game:

The idea that the halo 3 was the “most accurate” of the three is just way off if you ask me. it was the LEAST accurate even at close range. Fire up a custom game in Halo 3 and fire the AR while you do this watch how many bullets vector OUTSIDE of the reticule. You’ll count at least a half dozen I bet.

I think halo CE’s AR got the damage right and within it’s intended range of use it was useful and not frustrating to use.

Reach’s AR is different animal, it’s FAR more accurate than the H3 and CE version and due to that increased accuracy it now has the better range. That being said it is still a frustrating weapon to use.

My issue with the AR was never it’s damage persay, it has always been it’s accuracy that I took issue with especially the H3 model. Now what I would like those of you reading this to do is throw out your biases, opinions and perceptions and misconceptions about this game mechanic:

Aiming down the sights or “iron sights”

I think this is what the AR has needed for long time. If the AR had “iron sights” this would tighten the bullet spread just slightly enough to be useful in situations where a player didn’t have a precision weapon and needed to defend themselves off-spawn, and those of you fond of saying “pulse fire the AR” that trick would actually have merit if we could aim down the sights. (besides why would I pulse fire an automatic weapon with a slow kill time, there by increasing the slow kill time even further)

Now before you start passing out the CoD Hateraid adding iron sights to the AR isn’t about making halo more like CoD, it’s about providing balanced, fair and sound game mechanics. If iron sights were added the AR it might actually become… wait for it… a “skillful” weapon.

The problem the AR now is that a lot of players, including myself, feel that it is a useless weapon and would rather have something like a BR/DMR/NR/Pistol as our weapon. I’d rather rely on my ability to aim than point a weapon in the general direction of an opponent and hold the trigger down. It’s a very mind-numbing and frustrating way to play. On the other hand, when I’m using a precision weapon BR, DMR, NR, ET AL, and get a kill with it I feel accomplished.

In short there is years worth of hate regarding the AR. It will take a serious revamping to change players minds about it.

Just copy and paste the CE AR and edit it’s ROF and power so that it is balanced against whatever the utility weapons are in H4. That’s it.