Let's Take a Step Back...What is good

With many users considering to leave Halo, we need to take a step back and look at what has defined Halo to this day, whether it was fun, great, or just plain glitches.

Halo CE:
The most defining of the Halo saga, it introduced Halo’s soon to be popular <mark>melee, gun, and grenade. It gave users the abilities to create their own maps, mod, use vehicles, fight aliens that instilled fear, had protected spawns, have a wonderful storyline, and seem Sci-Fi. The sheer simplicity made this all the more better.</mark> All of this, they made in ONE game.

Halo 2:
The introduction of the BR, SMG, and others <mark>gave people the ability to do what was never allowed in the First</mark>. <mark>It had wide arrays of glitches that simply made the game pop up and give a fun feeling. It was here where MLG became intense. The maps were well laid out, balanced, supported many gametypes, and were still very simple, but in a way were beautiful to the point where it got best graphics awards. It had more interactive environments such as on Zanzibar</mark>

Halo 3:
Forge mode for the now Xbox-Exclusive game was introduced, adding a more fun aspect to the game. <mark>It gave us ALL the weapons, armor, an awesome skill ranking, MOAR gametypes and vehicles, and an ability to play as Elites. The maps like before were great,</mark> however their quality slightly decreased to make it seem better. <mark>Colouring, emblems, and service tags added such a more rich uniqueness to the players, not to mention their armor. It gave a crazy goal to finish the game completely. Terminals in this added more storyline potential in-game for those who can’t read, or don’t read all the books. It even had Theater! Not to mention that Firefight added a mini game survival feel to it.</mark>

Halo Reach:
Introduced <mark>AAs, a very interesting and great IDEA</mark>. <mark>Gave the players the ability to choose different weapons off spawn. Forge was amazingly improved with new pieces and better everything! It Had the best UI, giant amounts of customization, commendations for mastery, More weapons, vehicles, and so much more. Introduced Invasion</mark>. Theater was great. However it started to grow rather bland without custom games.

Halo 4:
<mark>Ordanance was an interesting idea to say the best. It had the most armor ever seen! It reintroduced some of what Halo Reach was lacking.</mark> It focused again on the Chief. <mark>It had more Forge Environments. It immediately introduced Competitive Playlists. Great Graphics,</mark>

In general they need to base it off of what was done right, what works, and what we want and need. After adding all which was good from their previous titles, they should then iron out all of it and weed out the terrible things. AAs and Loadouts have good ideas, and could be done much better. Then they need to look at the other competitors…and other great games.

Battlefield:
Destructible terrain, large and intense battles. Battles on water!

CoD:
Just Zombies, everything else Halo should NEVER touch. Except smart moving may work.

Titanfall:
Interesting added in story in MM. Interesting jump mechanics to say the least.

Destiny: …

StarCraft: An excellent RTS with amazing ranking, balancing, and sprites.

If there’s one thing that most of these games that have released have done, its maintain their population and be able feed players with reasons to play.

Halo 5 should have(checklist):

Dedicated Servers

60fps

Destructible Environment

Nearly Completely remastered ranking system(take some notes from the SC guy 343 hired)

Game Ready On Launch Day with everything balanced, ironed out, with great Easter Eggs and Glitches

Interactive Environment: buttons, levers, everything

Lots and I mean lots of armor and reintroduction of armor attachments

Social and Ranked Playlists

Redone Loadouts and Ordanance

A goal for the players to complete the game

Firefight, however not as the old shoot 'em up one, something focused more on survival

All Weapons whose roles weren’t replaced

All Vehicles whose roles weren’t replaced

All Gametypes return

Commendations

In game Skill Ranking and a very hard to complete arena ranking

SpOps

Theater like in Halo Reach

Improved Forge AND I MEAN IMPROVED A LOT!

More Weapons and Vehicles

Ability to view Terminals in-game

Assassinations

More Gametypes which are not forced upon us.

Ultimate Emblem Maker

Smart Moving(ones that don’t break the game)

1080p Graphics

Jeff Steizer

More ROFL Easter Eggs

Huge Battles ranging from 32v32!

Better Separated Playlists

MLG Recontract

Disable Sprint in Some Gametypes

Friendly and Community MODS

Dev Kit

Mini Games Playlist in Social

Beta Testers(secret)

No Spoilers Frankie!

UNIQUE AND ALL-NEW WEAPONS NOT RESKINS!

Community-made Textures

Clan Support

Pelicans, Scarabs, Mammoths and more in MM.

Remakes of Sandtrap, Zanzibar, Guardian, Midship, Lock-out, Spire, Boneyard, and more.

Either Pre-set Loadouts, Limited Loadouts, or Gametype Specific Ones

AAs must not be massively integral to combat; keep or finish the following: Hacker, Teleport, Hardlight Shield, Auto Sentry, Hologram, Thruster Pack, these should be available for all gametypes.

This is what I have came up with considering all of the factors I posted before.

> Halo 4:
> Ordanance was an interesting idea to say the best. It had the most armor ever seen! It reintroduced some of what Halo Reach was lacking. [/h]It focused again on the Chief. <mark>It had more Forge Environments. <mark>It immediately introduced Competitive Playlists</mark>. Great Graphics,
[/quote]
Slayer Pro? Or am I missing something?</mark>
> <mark>> CoD:</mark>
> <mark>> Just Zombies, everything else Halo should NEVER touch. Except <mark>smart moving</mark> may work.</mark>
> <mark>I’m not really sure what this is.</mark>
> <mark>Is it the “automatically jump over low obstacles”? because if it is, then no.</mark>
> <mark>> Titanfall:</mark>
> <mark>> Interesting added in story in MM. Interesting jump mechanics to say the least.</mark>
> <mark>No integrated story element into MM, unless it’s one massive playlist. And the rest of the playlists are untouched by the story element.</mark>
> <mark>We allready saw what happened when multiplayer became canon. No elites. Don’t start with time constraints, they had time to implement a flood model, something not even used in the campaign.</mark>
> <mark>> StarCraft: An excellent RTS with amazing ranking, balancing, and <mark>sprites</mark>.</mark>
> <mark>Sprites? Which ones, the whole game is in 3D as far as I recall.</mark>
> <mark>But overall, yes, perfecting rather than shoehorning in features just because other popular games have them is what i343 should be striving for.</mark>

> > Halo 4:
> > Ordanance was an interesting idea to say the best. It had the most armor ever seen! It reintroduced some of what Halo Reach was lacking. [/h]It focused again on the Chief. <mark>It had more Forge Environments. <mark>It immediately introduced Competitive Playlists</mark>. Great Graphics,
[/quote]
Slayer Pro? Or am I missing something?</mark>
> > <mark>> CoD:</mark>
> > <mark>> Just Zombies, everything else Halo should NEVER touch. Except <mark>smart moving</mark> may work.</mark>
> > <mark>I’m not really sure what this is.</mark>
> > <mark>Is it the “automatically jump over low obstacles”? because if it is, then no.</mark>
> > <mark>> Titanfall:</mark>
> > <mark>> Interesting added in story in MM. Interesting jump mechanics to say the least.</mark>
> > <mark>No integrated story element into MM, unless it’s one massive playlist. And the rest of the playlists are untouched by the story element.</mark>
> > <mark>We allready saw what happened when multiplayer became canon. No elites. Don’t start with time constraints, they had time to implement a flood model, something not even used in the campaign.</mark>
> > <mark>> StarCraft: An excellent RTS with amazing ranking, balancing, and <mark>sprites</mark>.</mark>
> > <mark>Sprites? Which ones, the whole game is in 3D as far as I recall.</mark>
> > <mark>But overall, yes, perfecting rather than shoehorning in features just because other popular games have them is what i343 should be striving for.
[/quote]
Smart moving for sure isn’t jumping over low obstacles. CoD just sucks at getting ideas. Smart moving is going prone, crouching,(swimming sometimes), taking cover and sticking to the wall while looking over the top and edges. Such games that use these are Mass Effect, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, and now somewhat CoD.</mark>
> > <mark>By Competitive I really mean just up to the neck matches, Slayer Pro is somewhat like MLG to say least, but I mostly am referring to FFA gametypes. Halo 4 didn’t exactly succeed in doing this however.</mark>
> > <mark>I really just added the positive things about said games which could be in Halo 5, but I sincerely doubt it even making a good gametype. Really all that MM being canon has caused Halo 4 was pain.</mark>
> > <mark>By Sprites I messed up, I should have said animations.</mark>
> > <mark>Really the biggest problems about Halo 4 was their attempt at attracting CoD players rather than strive for perfection and unique change. Halo 4 was a good game, just not a good Halo title.</mark>

the Original Halo formula was great in CE,2,3 a long time ago but it’s not that compelling anymore, it’s way too much of been there done that plenty of times too familiar. it’s too simplistic nowadays, it’s just too meat and potatoes in a era where everything else offers at least a 3 course meal if not a full 7 course one. now i’m not saying throw the baby out with the bath water but i really feel that a slow moving old faithful Halo would get completely overlooked in the market place today. I say treat the core of Halo like a anchor on a ship, it will hold Halo in place but that only works well when it’s deep under water and pretty far away from the ship.

> Smart moving for sure isn’t jumping over low obstacles. CoD just sucks at getting ideas. Smart moving is going prone, crouching,(swimming sometimes), taking cover and sticking to the wall while looking over the top and edges. Such games that use these are Mass Effect, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, and now somewhat CoD.

Then no, I don’t want that stuff, prone, swimming, sticking to walls and looking over covers.

Crouching is enough.

Even if realism isn’t an issue, I don’t find the idea of a half ton spartan swimming believable.

> > > CoD:
> > > Just Zombies, everything else Halo should NEVER touch. Except <mark>smart moving</mark> may work.
> >
> > I’m not really sure what this is.
> >
> > Is it the “automatically jump over low obstacles”? because if it is, then no.
>
> Smart moving for sure isn’t jumping over low obstacles. CoD just sucks at getting ideas. Smart moving is going prone, crouching,(swimming sometimes), taking cover and sticking to the wall while looking over the top and edges. Such games that use these are Mass Effect, Battlefield, Ghost Recon, and now somewhat CoD.

When I think of Smart moving, I don’tNEVER think of COD, COD didn’t invent it, and COD sucks at smart moving, to the point where it’s best to call COD’s version “Dumb moving”.

But what does come to mind when thinking of smart moving, is like in games like Crysis, Batman, and Mirror’s Edge, being able to jump up to a ledge that’s just out of reach, and reaching up and grabbing it and using the momentum to climb up, or jump over, depending on the ledge. Being able to be sprinting, and then slide through a small gap.

We’re playing is Spartans, super soldiers with powered armor, they should not only be able to move with some grace, but also be able to do things that make them look even more like bad -Yoinks!-.

You have completely missed what made each Halo game popular and revolutionary. I will sum it up very quickly as I don’t feel like going into detail.

Halo CE made FPS extremely functional on console platforms(mainly functional with the controller). With its introduction of aim assisting mechanics it made using to crappy analog sticks smooth and seamless. Also it introduced things like only being able to hold 2 weapons (freeing up other buttons for other important functions) and very functional vehicle controls. The actual specific gameplay elements of Halo are not what made it so revolutionary and popular, it could have been a CoD style game and the above would have made it what it was back in the day. You have to realize how crappy most FPS games were on the console in terms of controls and gameplay to appreciate what Halo CE did. On top of that it had a good story mode and great gameplay which only helps.

Now Halo 2 continued on with the seamless controls and functionality of Halo CE, but what made it revolutionary is what it did with multiplayer. Halo 2 had such a great match making system and lobby system(forming a part and being able to take that party from lobby to lobby might seem trivial now, but it did not exist before Halo 2). Things like being able to get a team together and enter into match making to get put against another team of equal skill DID NOT EXIST before Halo 2. Then they had clans where you could get a rank for your whole clan, an IN GAME friends list(seriously that alone added to Halo’s success on LIVE to such a great extent) and great custom games with tons of options for customization.

Halo 3 did not really add anything “revolutionary” except for maybe theater mode(There was no theater mode in games before H3 and it changed the whole gaming industry because now many developers do it, not to mention its affect on machinima/montages) and the fileshare system. What Halo 3 did, though, was take a great base that Halo CE and 2 established and simply fleshed out the features. Forge, theater, the whole matchmaking system, double EXP, etc…all added to the Halo experience.

Reach and Halo 4 have literally done nothing to revolutionize Halo and did very little to add to the features or “Halo experience.” Where 343 missed the mark is thinking “Okay, what is possible to do with a video game and internet capabilities.” They could have done things like in game clan matches, custom game browsers, an in game “top 10” clip system where you could vote the best clips to the top. Tons of things, but instead they were incredibly self centered and wanted to put “their mark” on Halo. Pfft what a -Yoinking!- joke.