Lets start from the basics.

While looking through old Halo manuals, I pulled this from the Halo 2 manual:

> INDIVIDUAL STRATEGY
> When you play as an individual player, it’s important to manage your two different weapons correctly. Try to carry a long-range weapon (such as a Battle Rifle) and a short-range weapons (such as a Shotgun). Make sure you’ve always got a few grenades. Running backwards and throwing grenades is a great defensive move when another player surprises you in a map. Use dual-wielding in tight spaces at short range, and vehicles when out doors. Try boarding another player’s vehicle. A successful boarding ejects another player from their seat. Move slowly by crouch-walking if you want to stay invisible on other players’ motion trackers. Also, don’t charge through the front door. Use a little stealth and planning.
>
> Team Strategy
> Teams that are successful are teams that coordinate-and communicate-well with each other.
> -Use voice to direct your team. You can tap the White button to engage your radio and talk to your team n matter where they are on the map. Be careful though- nearby enemies can hear you talking as well.
> -Manage your team’s weapon selection. In Team Slayer, out someone on a Rocket and someone on a Sniper Rifle.
> -Find out what your teammates are good at and let them do it. Who are the best long-range shooters? Put them on sniping duty.
> -Stick to your teammates. Don’t go off by yourself unless there is a tactical reason to do so. Note there is a marker above your teammates’ heads to tell you if they’re on your team.
> -Know the game type you’re playing. Not everyone on your team can be doign the same thing. They need to take on different tactical roles. Someone needs to saty on defense in Capture the Flag (CTF)- if everyone is non offense, you won’t win.

Obviously, not all of these are applicable to the game itself like they were in Halo 2. But a lot of these are good ideas and are ones that people need to understand. Too many times I see people going off alone, everyone going on the offensive, rushing without thinking about what is next and then being jumped by a group of guys who were smart enough to wait for enemy teammates to go out by themselves. And then they complain about it blaming it on the game or the gun when they made a stupid mistake. Simple strategies that have been in Halo for years are now being abandoned. People need to think back on these tactics an master them again to become better.

Note- The DMR has no relevance in this thread. That gun is completely unfair and cannot be used tactically and therefore is has nothing to do with strategy.
(Keep is clean)
What are your guys thoughts on this?

Small beef with the CTF “someone has to stay on defense” point. With flag-at-home no longer in the game, there’s really no reason that someone has to stay back and cover the flag. You can roll your entire team to snag the enemy flag, overwhelm the opposing D, and roll out with the flag with minimum losses. And now with the waypoint over flag carriers head, there’s no more stealth pulls. Might as well have as many teammates around the flag as possible.

Player strategy varies. I disagree with this for the most part. An aggressive CTF team can win depending on the team it is against.
Saying the DMR isn’t tactical is an opinion. I’d saying using any gun other than it isn’t tactical
Where in the strategy guide does it say: Use a second-tier gun because it feels nostalgic.

> Small beef with the CTF “someone has to stay on defense” point. With flag-at-home no longer in the game, there’s really no reason that someone has to stay back and cover the flag. You can roll your entire team to snag the enemy flag, overwhelm the opposing D, and roll out with the flag with minimum losses. And now with the waypoint over flag carriers head, there’s no more stealth pulls. Might as well have as many teammates around the flag as possible.

Uhhh yes there is :3 Back capping is when the enemy team camps a member on your flag so when they capture your flag they grab it and right as it spawns. You need to have someone defending that flag.

On topic:

I think using the right AAs as a team is important. If I’m doing 4v4 on haven with friends, one person has PV, another with Regen field (+AA Efficacy). These two let us communicate and move across the map, healing and giving us a significant advantage.

> Player strategy varies. I disagree with this for the most part. An aggressive CTF team can win depending on the team it is against.
> Saying the DMR isn’t tactical is an opinion. I’d saying using any gun other than it isn’t tactical
> Where in the strategy guide does it say: Use a second-tier gun because it feels nostalgic.

I’ve seen teams like that where most of them heavily assault the other team, steal their flag, and win. Thing is, most of them have one guy at the base with power weapons guarding the flag. And you can’t help crappy teammates.

The DMR is the the strongest precision weapon and lands hits easily. Not to mention it can cross map easily too and has the furthest scope distance for loadouts. I’m not living off nostalgia when I use the BR or Carbine, I do it because I like the guns. I use the LR because I like it. I use the Storm Rifle because I like it. I don’t like the DMR, because its plain boring. I personally don’t like the gun at all. I didn’t even like it in Halo Reach cause it was boring.

Boring does not mean non-strategic.
Watch MLG Dallas and pretty much it’s all DMR.

> Boring does not mean non-strategic.
> Watch MLG Dallas and pretty much it’s all DMR.

Beating all loadout weapons and even some power weapons, not to mention its easier to hit targets with then with a Rocket Launcher, doesn’t sound very strategic or very skillful to me.

The fact that ppl spawn with a long and short range weapon, and weapons are allocated randomly really erodes coordination. Spawning with crap and limited preset weapons promoted it

Honestly these aren’t bad ideas, if anybody is trying to get better at Halo I would suggest taking a few of these tips and seeing how you like them.