Let's get serious, Waypoint needs language subforums

I see the need to create a theme on this matter to highlight it and give it visibility. I apologize in advance if I create it in the wrong place or without following the correct procedure.

This topic serves to draw attention to all the main majority-speaking languages that we have in the Halo community, but I am going to focus mainly on the Spanish language, both for Spain, and for my dear colleagues from Latin America.

I feel disappointed, within all the options and possibilities that I expected from the new Waypoint website, having a sub-forum for the Spanish language was one of my main wishes. With the arrival of Discord, in which we have an exclusive channel for Spanish-speakers, added to the fact that we have Spanish-speaking mods, plus 343’s effort to open up to their entire community and welcome, I hoped that we would really have that sub-forum. Even more so when it becomes evident that in the Halo community there is a very high percentage of Spanish speakers.

I know that the new website is still under construction and that it has many updates ahead, but I have the sad feeling that among those plans for the future it is not in mind to create these sub-forums for the different languages most spoken in the community.

I would like, if possible, 343i to provide us with information on this matter. And to the Spanish-speaking community that read me, leave a comment showing your support to make it more visible.

I have been commenting on the Waypoint forums in English for years, (let’s see if I can recover my 700 messages), I am not writing this topic to complain about it, but because I really believe that the Spanish-speaking community deserves this sub-forum.

6 Likes

It would be a nice addition, especially for those who struggle to speak and understand english.
However, I think it would get a little messy between all the different forums subdivisions. :thinking:
I would just simply add a translation option, since it would be way faster and easier to make.
Just my opinion :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

A translation tool would be useful, I agree. Maybe in the settings tab in the reply box?

3 Likes

Allow everyone to write in their language but having a direct translation button? The truth is that it would be a good addition.

Machine translation isn’t perfect. Mistakes are often made and sometimes can lead to… unfortunate mistranslations.

3 Likes

Not speaking for 343, just as a moderator, the main barrier is finding sufficient bilingual moderators. Translation software only takes us so far especially when you include idioms and slang.

Never say never, I for one would love to see Spanish speaking forums, but not sure how probable that’ll be in the near future.

6 Likes

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I wouldn’t view usage of online language translation tools as a problem on this forum due to this being an informal setting.

Sometimes, the translation tools will make mistakes but the mistakes are very rarely detrimental and we will usually understand the message despite the fact that some mistakes may exist.

1 Like