Let's Get A Response

Hello Waypoint!

For awhile now, I’ve felt like the community has been ignored. We trusted 343 with the franchise we all love, and now they won’t dignify us with a response. Many of us are understandably mad. However, I think in part we need to blame ourselves. We’ve done a downright terrible job at getting 343’s attention! As a community, we need to send one universal message: 343 needs to be more involved with the community.

Let’s set the record straight first: we don’t expect 343 to cater to everyone, we don’t expect quick fixes, and we understand 343 is busy. All we ask for is a response, because any response is better than no response.

So, you may ask, what’s the plan of attack? Well, it’s quite simple.

Tell IGN we’re being ignored.

Email tips@kotaku.com and tell them 343 is ignoring their own community.

Shoot editorial@metacritic.com an email about how we’re being ignored.

Tell 1UP how you feel.

Contact dave@cheatcc.com and tell Dave from Cheat CC how we feel.

If you’re in a hurry, feel free to copy and paste this message when sending emails/tips/messages to the major gaming news websites. If you do have the time, however, I encourage you to do your own research and send a personal message.

> 343 is ignoring their own community!
>
> The link below contains 146 pages, ~2900 responses, asking for 343 to fix custom games. It is easily among the most popular threads on the forum, and yet 343 has not even hinted there was an issue. Kevin Franklin did respond in a podcast separate from the forums, and was completely oblivious to the problem.
>
> https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst127421_Custom-game-options-are-unacceptable--343.aspx
>
> Here is another thread on the HaloWaypoint forums asking 343 to address their 1-50 ranking system that 343 will introduce next year. Again, one of the most popular threads on the forums with no response from 343.
>
> https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst135168_1-50-Competitive-Skill-Rank-Official-Thread.aspx
>
> And finally, possibly the most popular thread on all of HaloWaypoint, 343 blames the community for not receiving specialization codes. Side note: Europe doesn’t even receive specialization codes; 343 isolated a large portion of their fanbase.
>
> https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst155922_The-Official-Specializations-Email-Thread.aspx
> http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2012/12/01/Halo-4-Specializations-Offer-Update.aspx
>
> 343 is lying to us. Kevin Franklin, lead designer on Halo 4, claims to be listening to the community. Funny how he has no idea there is an issue with custom games but claims to be listening to the forums for feedback.
>
> http://www.podtacular.com/media/podtacular-333/
>
> Here is a video covering almost all issues with Halo 4 (source The Halo Council):
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQHdYqp_E4A

Tell 343 directly what you think via Twitter!

343 Twitter accounts:

• @bsangel
  • @HaloWaypoint
  • @scott_343
  • @kevin_franklin
  • @franklez
  • @sawiemander
  • @nbsparth
  • @annielohr
  • @DavidEllis
  • @bacon_sanwich
  • @missdoomcookie
  • @danjamin
  • @BrianReed
  • @CaitieM20
  • @KynanPearson
  • @vicdeleon
  • @thejessesnyder
  • @xTimxDiazx
  • @bradford_welch
  • @k_wolfkill
  • @thejessesnyder
  • @vicdeleon

I will continue to update this thread with more 343 Twitter accounts and major gaming websites you can send emails to.

You want 343 to listen? You want them to stop watering down Halo? You want them to listen to community suggestions? Then stop buying into 343’s game. Ignore the map packs and stop playing the game. Tell 343 that we will no longer be ignored and that we will not longer accept a shoddy, subs-standard Halo.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst153276_To-those-who-dislike-Halo-4.aspx

> You want 343 to listen? You want them to stop watering down Halo? You want them to listen to community suggestions? Then stop buying into 343’s game. Ignore the map packs and stop playing the game. Tell 343 that we will no longer be ignored and that we will not longer accept a shoddy, subs-standard Halo.
>
> https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst153276_To-those-who-dislike-Halo-4.aspx

To be honest, it’s easier to get people to send an email than it is to get them to stop playing the game entirely.

Yes. I recommend this idea. Apparently they don’t pay attention to their forums, so maybe we should be a bit more direct.

> Yes. I recommend this idea. Apparently they don’t pay attention to their forums, so maybe we should be a bit more direct.

Yeah, after a quick Google search I found that we have not been nearly as vocal as we should be. They probably aren’t listening to the forums because no one else is either.

The only way we’re going to get a response from 343 is if we get the attention of some major video gaming website and hope they pick up the story.

> > You want 343 to listen? You want them to stop watering down Halo? You want them to listen to community suggestions? Then stop buying into 343’s game. Ignore the map packs and stop playing the game. Tell 343 that we will no longer be ignored and that we will not longer accept a shoddy, subs-standard Halo.
> >
> > https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postst153276_To-those-who-dislike-Halo-4.aspx
>
> To be honest, it’s easier to get people to send an email than it is to get them to stop playing the game entirely.

You’d be surprised. For those who dislike the game stopping playing it is relatively easy sometimes they just need a small push.

E-mails also works though, as do petitions however they are banned on the forums.

Christ. Maybe they haven’t responded because they are…oh I don’t know…doing their job? Have you stopped to think that they are actually taking a look at the options for customs, trying things out, seeing if it is even possible to change some things, coding, bug testing and so on? Nowhere in their job description does it say they have to stroke your ego and make you feel like everything is okay.

Bungie was notorious for not telling us what they were working on while they were working on it. All we would get is a “Stay tuned.” or that something big was coming “Soon. ™” The game has been out for a month. One. Month. We were lucky to have any sort of TU MONTHS after a release and here we are getting 2 within the first month, with another one on the way.

They will tell us what will be in that update when they know themselves. Right now they are testing things, and if they can’t fix a bug that is caused by another fix, it won’t make the cut. They don’t want to tell people something is coming, when they don’t know if it will break the game. They rushed the most recent TU out to help calm some woes, but since it was rushed, they inadvertently caused an ordinance problem on Haven. Give them time so things aren’t broken.

Same goes for their 1-50 ranking system. They will tell us more, when they know more.

As far as the specializations go, that is Microsoft’s problem, not 343’s. It was a Microsoft promotion, with eligibility decided by Microsoft. If you didn’t get the email, talk to MS. 343 was able to get MS to send out more codes to people who did not get the email, but if you deleted the message, tough cookies. They tried to help you out, this one is on you. As far as other regions are concerned, I believe they said that the specs will be released to everyone sometime in the future. If you have hit the cap of SR130, first of all…sheesh. Secondly…work on improving your game. Try to get a perfection, massive killing spree, crazy stick…or just have fun. You can’t get xp? Oh no! How will you ever survive?

Perhaps the next TU will “fix” customs, add forge maps to MM, fix the file share…maybe it won’t.

Tl:dr Stop being whiny children. If you have made a post regarding the issue, you’ve done all you can do. Life is too damn short to worry about if a super busy game developer responds to your every beck and call.

> Christ. Maybe they haven’t responded because they are…oh I don’t know…doing their job? <mark>Have you stopped to think that they are actually taking a look at the options for customs, trying things out, seeing if it is even possible to change some things, coding, bug testing and so on?</mark> Nowhere in their job description does it say they have to stroke your ego and make you feel like everything is okay.
>
> Bungie was notorious for not telling us what they were working on while they were working on it. All we would get is a “Stay tuned.” or that something big was coming “Soon. ™” The game has been out for a month. One. Month. We were lucky to have any sort of TU MONTHS after a release and here we are getting 2 within the first month, with another one on the way.
>
> They will tell us what will be in that update when they know themselves. Right now they are testing things, and if they can’t fix a bug that is caused by another fix, it won’t make the cut. They don’t want to tell people something is coming, when they don’t know if it will break the game. They rushed the most recent TU out to help calm some woes, but since it was rushed, they inadvertently caused an ordinance problem on Haven. Give them time so things aren’t broken.
>
> Same goes for their 1-50 ranking system. They will tell us more, when they know more.
>
> As far as the specializations go, that is Microsoft’s problem, not 343’s. It was a Microsoft promotion, with eligibility decided by Microsoft. If you didn’t get the email, talk to MS. 343 was able to get MS to send out more codes to people who did not get the email, but if you deleted the message, tough cookies. They tried to help you out, this one is on you. As far as other regions are concerned, I believe they said that the specs will be released to everyone sometime in the future. If you have hit the cap of SR130, first of all…sheesh. Secondly…work on improving your game. Try to get a perfection, massive killing spree, crazy stick…or just have fun. You can’t get xp? Oh no! How will you ever survive?
>
> Perhaps the next TU will “fix” customs, add forge maps to MM, fix the file share…maybe it won’t.
>
> Tl:dr Stop being whiny children. If you have made a post regarding the issue, you’ve done all you can do. Life is too damn short to worry about if a super busy game developer responds to your every beck and call.

Why yes, yes I have. If you listed to the podcast linked in my first post you’d realize they have no idea there is an issue with customs. If they do change it, it’ll be in the distant future.

And as far as specializations go it is 343’s problem if they’re going to go ahead and blame the community for an issue that thousands of players are experiencing, many of which are sure they comply with all requirements.

It’s simple enough.

In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.

As of now, we are anything but.

End of story.

> It’s simple enough.
>
> In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.
>
> As of now, we are anything but.
>
> End of story.

Imagine trying to pull that off as a smaller company, they’d go out of business.

You don’t isolate your fans simply because a small minority of them are children who can’t behave.

> It’s simple enough.
>
> In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.
>
> As of now, we are anything but.
>
> End of story.

This.

Also, I will not listen to that podcast, because I have absolutely zero interest in it. Simply because one guy doesn’t mention it doesn’t mean the majority of the company or people working on the game don’t know what’s going on. You can provide me with quotes, but anything short of, “There isn’t anything wrong with custom games, so there isn’t anything to fix.” will not convince me they don’t know.

No. Just no. This is absolutely not 343’s problem anymore, it never should have been. It was a promotion by Microsoft in relation to the new game. Microsoft creates the codes, not 343. When people expect 343 to fix it, who do they turn to to get more codes? Microsoft. If people want results, THAT’s who they should contact. Otherwise, they are just going through a middleman.

Again, if you were sent a message on xbl with a code, but deleted it. Too bad. That one is your fault, no one else’s. You will have to wait with the rest of the world to access the specializations when they release them.

> > It’s simple enough.
> >
> > In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.
> >
> > As of now, we are anything but.
> >
> > End of story.
>
> Imagine trying to pull that off as a smaller company, they’d go out of business.
>
> You don’t isolate your fans simply because a small minority of them are children who can’t behave.

There are times when a student or two misbehaves, and the entire class is punished for it.

Oh god… these topics are so pathetic and self-entitled.

> > > It’s simple enough.
> > >
> > > In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.
> > >
> > > As of now, we are anything but.
> > >
> > > End of story.
> >
> > Imagine trying to pull that off as a smaller company, they’d go out of business.
> >
> > You don’t isolate your fans simply because a small minority of them are children who can’t behave.
>
> There are times when a student or two misbehaves, and the entire class is punished for it.

Schools =/= business. Buying and using services provided by a business is optional, attending school is not.

> Oh god… these topics are so pathetic and self-entitled.

So, it’s bad of us to want a game with less problems in it?

I am really annoyed at how they are just ignoring the Specialization code issue, we haven’t had an update for about a week on it. It’s really getting stupid for people that are still waiting for a code so they can LEVEL UP

> > It’s simple enough.
> >
> > In order to get a response, the community as a whole must be worthy (as in well-behaved enough) to being responded to.
> >
> > As of now, we are anything but.
> >
> > End of story.
>
> This.
>
> Also, I will not listen to that podcast, because I have absolutely zero interest in it. Simply because one guy doesn’t mention it doesn’t mean the majority of the company or people working on the game don’t know what’s going on. You can provide me with quotes, but anything short of, “There isn’t anything wrong with custom games, so there isn’t anything to fix.” will not convince me they don’t know.
>
> No. Just no. This is absolutely not 343’s problem anymore, it never should have been. It was a promotion by Microsoft in relation to the new game. Microsoft creates the codes, not 343. When people expect 343 to fix it, who do they turn to to get more codes? Microsoft. If people want results, THAT’s who they should contact. Otherwise, they are just going through a middleman.
>
> Again, if you were sent a message on xbl with a code, but deleted it. Too bad. That one is your fault, no one else’s. You will have to wait with the rest of the world to access the specializations when they release them.

Honestly, if you have no intention of reading or listening to anything please don’t add in your opinion. It’s just blind fanboyism, which is rather annoying.

Anyway… here. A transcript of what Kevin Franklin said on the podcast.

> Interviewer: “What about like gametypes that are physically separate, not derivative of slayer, like Race? Like its own unique gametype?”
>
> Kevin: “Um, it’s definitely possible for us to add that… Uh and you know its, all, um, you know, <mark>I can’t say it’s coming soon</mark>. But, uh, it is something that we keep hearing a lot of community feedback that they want it… <mark>Looking at it it’s just like ‘How does that fit in with everything else?</mark>’”
>
> Interviewer: “Ok”
>
> Kevin: “Um yeah, so like luckily we’ve built a really really powerful, um, post-launch updating system and I hope you, you guys can see that uh, really coming as the new updates come through. And the best part is, as soon as we, you know, get a really good handle on all the fixes, and we’ve, you know there aren’t any more walls to hide in anymore…”
>
> Interviewer laughs
>
> Kevin: “We take care of all that stuff? We’ll have even more time to you know, spend rebuilding classic content or creating new modes.”

Essentially we may get what we asked for, but it won’t be anytime soon. Before that bit he needed clarification of what they were talking about. He didn’t even realize there was an issue with custom games.

The person providing the transcript, Time Glitch, probably put it best when he said that if 343 does work on custom games, it won’t be anything we’re asking for because they aren’t listening to the forums.

Regarding specializations, it doesn’t matter who distributed the codes. 343 blamed the issue on the fans not Microsoft. I have personal friends who did not receive the code and I guarantee you they verified EVERYTHING. They opted in, they checked all linked email accounts, they played since day 1. It’s insulting to be told that you’re at fault for what Microsoft did.

I support the OP. Perhaps we can make 343i realize that they’re being too damn lazy and this s**t doesn’t fly.

I’m just pissed how they just ignore all these issues. People don’t want to play the game anymore cause they can’t level up past level 70 cause they didn’t get a code that they were supposed to get.

They were at one point updating us about the issue and then when they saw how much they screwed it up they just went quiet and now aren’t saying anything. I’ve tweeted a bunch of 343 employees on twitter even the Waypoint account almost every day about the spec. codes and they always ignore it.

Who’s bright idea was it anyway to do the stupid code thing, why not just unlock it for everyone so this would have never happened. What a joke.