Let's finally have smart allies!

H4 should definitely have smart allied AI. A squad of Marines should be able to hold their ground against a squad of Grunts and Jackals on Heroic. Allies that could dodge grenades, shoot accurately, and drive well will definitely be welcomed by me.

But by no means should they hold your hand throughout the entire campaign either. To have smart allies and yet not have them be too powerful is simple: we decrease the damage that the allies do to the enemy (besides with certain weapons like the Warthog gun). This way, we can have smart allies that can drive and shoot well while letting us fight our way through unhindered.

Ya i agree 100%, in like every past halo game a single elite or brute could demolish a squad of marines and it felt like they were only there as decoys not allies.

It isn’t that easy to make AIs.

> It isn’t that easy to make AIs.

I’m sure that there’s a way to increase the intelligence of the AI. After all, the enemy AI gets “smarter” every difficulty level you go.

> > It isn’t that easy to make AIs.
>
> I’m sure that there’s a way to increase the intelligence of the AI. After all, the enemy AI gets “smarter” every difficulty level you go.

Not actully, they’re just harder to kill. They jump around more, and evade grenades more. I’m pretty sure they make the AI first, then downgrade it for Heroic, Normal,easy. Or since Heroic is the “Way Halo is supposed to be played” they made it for that.

> They jump around more, and evade grenades more.

Exactly.

> > It isn’t that easy to make AIs.
>
> I’m sure that there’s a way to increase the intelligence of the AI. After all, the enemy AI gets “smarter” every difficulty level you go.

I disagree completely. Look this up for solid proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBB8JUePOAw

Are you sure we’ll have marines as allies?

> Are you sure we’ll have marines as allies?

No, I was just using them as an example.

> > They jump around more, and evade grenades more.
>
> Exactly.

Doesn’t make them smarted. If you turn on the Tough Luck skull, does that make them smarter? No. They are always the same, but the skull desides if they should evade or not.

Why would you need smart allies, your going to be controlling the Master Chief.

AI’s are always smart, and when you think about it, I’m pretty sure that an Elite took down a group of Marine AI’s easily because the Marine AI was programmed to be scared of the Elite. Games work like that.

It hasn’t happen for the past what past five Halo games, i don’t believe we’ll get smarter AI’s now. Just smarter, deadlier enemies.

Of course the AI could be tweaked to be as formidable as the enemey AI but that would make the game too easy (AI kills the enemy instead of you doing the work).

I wonder if it’s occurred to some of you that the AI in the past Halos was made dumb purpose and because not Bungie doesn’t know how to program AI, which in itself is very hard to do.

After playing Reach on heroic too beat the campaign again, I see that we NEED better AI allies. I were shooting at a brute while like 6 allies were around me, and I get killed by a suicide grunt. I went back in theater and the grunt just walked past the marines/soldiers.

They can’t shoot either, or they can aim well but do so much stupid stuff. While the grunts shoot constant while on a plasma turret, the allies shoot in burst, slow burst and so on.

I think that’s going to be a tall order.

People gave passing comments on Crysis 2 for having revolutionary AI. AI that went to investigate when one of their own went down.

They also failed to mention said AI returning to their normal inactivity after discovering one of their own with his head twisted off like he was some kind of giant Coke bottle. Or their continued normal inactivity as you pick off the squad one by one with said neck twists.

Revolutionary AI my fat pale white…

Yes to smarter allies, a big no to damage reduction. That is what Reach did, and it is a huge contributing factor, as to why allied troopers aren’t able to kill. It always annoyed me that allies, like Jun, would’ve been better if they didn’t suffer from damage reduction. I mean, I’ve seen Grunt Minors surviving his rounds, which is stupid.

> I think that’s going to be a tall order.
>
> People gave passing comments on Crysis 2 for having revolutionary AI. AI that went to investigate when one of their own went down.
>
> They also failed to mention said AI returning to their normal inactivity after discovering one of their own with his head twisted off like he was some kind of giant Coke bottle. Or their continued normal inactivity as you pick off the squad one by one with said neck twists.
>
> Revolutionary AI my fat pale white…

Yeah, the AI didn’t handle situations like that very well.

But from my experience, the friendly AI in Crysis 2 could hold their own in a firefight with the Ceph quite well.

With most encounters in Halo, marines are there to fight for the first few seconds of a firefight, get slaughtered, and then you solo the rest of the mission (well, unless you get some more marines, and then the cycle starts again).

While I am loath to bring it up, COD uses respawning friendly AI, and that seems to work well.

It works well because the enemies work under the same system, and are similar in health and weapons. It simply wouldn’t work in Halo. Besides, I certainly don’t want it. Halo has always been about working with what you have.

> > I think that’s going to be a tall order.
> >
> > People gave passing comments on Crysis 2 for having revolutionary AI. AI that went to investigate when one of their own went down.
> >
> > They also failed to mention said AI returning to their normal inactivity after discovering one of their own with his head twisted off like he was some kind of giant Coke bottle. Or their continued normal inactivity as you pick off the squad one by one with said neck twists.
> >
> > Revolutionary AI my fat pale white…
>
> Yeah, the AI didn’t handle situations like that very well.
>
> But from my experience, the friendly AI in Crysis 2 could hold their own in a firefight with the Ceph quite well.
>
> With most encounters in Halo, marines are there to fight for the first few seconds of a firefight, get slaughtered, and then you solo the rest of the mission (well, unless you get some more marines, and then the cycle starts again).
>
> While I am loath to bring it up, COD uses respawning friendly AI, and that seems to work well.

But to have respawning allies is kinda dumb, magicly spawning out of nowhere. Make them better.

I mean, just look at the rest of the noble team when fighting, they suck but never die. Just stupid to look at.

> I mean, just look at the rest of the noble team when fighting, they suck but never die. Just stupid to look at.

Well, Noble Team has to suck. Since they can’t die (and have unlimited ammo), they had to be dumbed down to the point of uselessness. Otherwise they’d eventually kill all Covies by themselves given enough time. So you can have either smart but mortal allies who actually are useful until they take a certain amount of damage and die, or you have dumb but immortal allies that are of no use whatsoever.

To be honest, I’d rather have smart but mortal allies. And in my opinion, Noble Team is the perfect example of how NPC allies should NOT be in a game.

I don’t understand why they didn’t use the system the Arbiter did in Halo 3. Have it so Noble members could be knocked unconscious, until an area was clear. That way, the AI can be made to be solid, but will go down, just like the player, if they overextend themselves.