Lets discuss the Mantis

Hello Halo fans its been a while since my last topic but it’s good to be back!

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/im-late-for-business.jpg

So the buzz about the forums lately is -as shown in the title- the Mantis. It’s big, it’s scary and it looks unbelievably fun to use. So lets go over a few facts we know to be true:

-The Mantis can move roughly at the same speed as a tank (perhaps slightly faster)
-It can take two laser shots
-It wields a chain gun which overheats and a rocket launcher similar to that from the rocket hog but with 5 rockets. It is unconfirmed whether it has lock on.
-It can crouch and therefore tea-bag
-It appears to be only boardable from the back, however there is no definitive proof of this
-It uses shields, as well as also having vehicle health
-When being used the player switches into third person view, whether it has FPS capabilities is unknown - but do people want a FPS Mech?

Now for some discussion, I’ll start the ball rolling shall I?:

Is it over-powered?: Health wise I don’t think so. It’s about time for a vehicle to stand up to the laser which gives far too much power to a lone Spartan. Firepower wise it depends as to whether the rockets seek. If so then yes it is OP if not then it looks fine seeing as it can be boarded by a sneaky Spartan

Does it follow canon?: Well there was the Cyclops -another mech from the Halo universe- so yes. (sorry to all those who thought I meant no -typo) http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100215210441/halo/images/9/93/CyclopsHW.png

Does it look nice?: No. It looks spindly, has a bad walking animation and doesn’t come in pink. Seriously though, this thing just isn’t a looker in my opinion and that annoys me; but I’m curious to hear what others think. (For the record it looks great when you are driving it but whilst watching it walk…just no)

Well feel free to leave a comment, preferably some discussion as well as I am curious to hear what you guys think.

Cheers!

Better to be red, than dead

> …doesn’t come in pink.

Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:

When using The Mantis will it be a 1st person or 3rd person perspective? I saw the video and it shows it from 3rd person view, but I don’t know if any of that was live game play or just footage from saved films.

> Is it over-powered?: Health wise I don’t think so. It’s about time for a vehicle to stand up to the laser which gives far too much power to a lone Spartan. Firepower wise it depends as to whether the rockets seek. If so then yes it is OP if not then it looks fine seeing as it can be boarded by a sneaky Spartan

I’m wondering if it’s movement speed, fire rate, and turning speed will balance out it’s firepower? Sort of like the scorpion.

> Does it look nice?: No. It looks spindly, has a bad walking animation and <mark>doesn’t come in pink.</mark> Seriously though, this thing looks horrible in my opinion and that annoys me; but I’m curious to hear what others think. (For the record it looks great when you are driving it but whilst watching it walk…just no)

I think you and snickerdoodle should start a poll on this.

> > …doesn’t come in pink.
>
> Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:

…Pre-order cancelled? :stuck_out_tongue:

> When using The Mantis will it be a 1st person or 3rd person perspective? I saw the video and it shows it from 3rd person view, but I don’t know if any of that was live game play or just footage from saved films.

3rd person, I should probably add that to the list.

what’s really interesting, is that it can crouch. Does that mean it can appear off radar as well :)))!?

Well it can t-bag so. Thats nice.

It’ll be a challenge for the Scorpian and the Banshee though.

> I’m wondering if it’s movement speed, fire rate, and turning speed will balance out it’s firepower? Sort of like the scorpion.

Well it moves quickly for something so powerful and its turning speed is fast too. The fire rate when using the turret is the same as a standard turret (guess) but I am under the impression that the turret being used is actually the SAW.

> I think you and snickerdoodle should start a poll on this.

All in good time :wink:

It doesn’t have to look good in order to function like a killing machine. I’m looking at you, Mil Mi-24 “Hind”.

> > > …doesn’t come in pink.
> >
> > Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> …Pre-order cancelled? :stuck_out_tongue:

I know mine is.

LE and console.

> > I’m wondering if it’s movement speed, fire rate, and turning speed will balance out it’s firepower? Sort of like the scorpion.
>
> Well it moves quickly for something so powerful and its turning speed is fast too. The fire rate when using the turret is the same as a standard turret (guess) but I am under the impression that the turret being used is actually the SAW.
>
>
>
> > I think you and snickerdoodle should start a poll on this.
>
> All in good time :wink:

Maybe it’s made out of paper mache? I mean, there has to be some sort of trade off. It’s hard to see from such limited video. People are soooo going to betray each other over this thing. Who would’ve thought the scorpion or banshee would become second fiddle?

> Now for some discussion, I’ll start the ball rolling shall I?:
>
> Is it over-powered?: Health wise I don’t think so. It’s about time for a vehicle to stand up to the laser which gives far too much power to a lone Spartan. Firepower wise it depends as to whether the rockets seek. If so then yes it is OP if not then it looks fine seeing as it can be boarded by a sneaky Spartan

Agree. I know there’s a new developer now but Halo games have always managed to balance things very well so I’m not concerned about it being over-powered.

> Does it follow canon?: Well there was the Cyclops -another mech from the Halo universe- so no. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100215210441/halo/images/9/93/CyclopsHW.png

I don’t care if it does or not. Multiplayer is all about the gameplay.

> Does it look nice?: No. It looks spindly, has a bad walking animation and doesn’t come in pink. Seriously though, this thing just isn’t a looker in my opinion and that annoys me; but I’m curious to hear what others think. (For the record it looks great when you are driving it but whilst watching it walk…just no)

Looks fine to me. But that doesn’t matter much. Is it fun to use? That is the question I care about. I’m guessing it will be.

From the gameplay I’ve seen, it appears that it may be more succeptable to small arms fire (br, dmr, etc) than other vehicles. Also it’s height makes it an easy target at long range.

And i love the way it walks! It’s like a giant Elite lurking around.

> > > > …doesn’t come in pink.
> > >
> > > Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > …Pre-order cancelled? :stuck_out_tongue:
>
> I know mine is.
>
> LE and console.

Everything is cancelled, including XBL. What’s the point?!

> > > > > …doesn’t come in pink.
> > > >
> > > > Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:
> > >
> > > …Pre-order cancelled? :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > I know mine is.
> >
> > LE and console.
>
> Everything is cancelled, including XBL. What’s the point?!

Exactly!

This isn’t 1909 anymore! We can have other colors besides blac- olive drape.

> > > > > …doesn’t come in pink.
> > > >
> > > > Nope. Not buying the game now. :stuck_out_tongue:
> > >
> > > …Pre-order cancelled? :stuck_out_tongue:
> >
> > I know mine is.
> >
> > LE and console.
>
> Everything is cancelled, including XBL. What’s the point?!

HAHAHAHA X)

But for real, how could they not put in a pink mantis? :’(

> -It uses shields, as well as also having vehicle health
> -When being used the player switches into third person view, whether it has FPS capabilities is unknown - but do people want a FPS Mech?
>
> Now for some discussion, I’ll start the ball rolling shall I?:
>
>
> Does it follow canon?: Well there was the Cyclops -another mech from the Halo universe- so no. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100215210441/halo/images/9/93/CyclopsHW.png
>
> Does it look nice?: No. It looks spindly, has a bad walking animation and doesn’t come in pink. Seriously though, this thing just isn’t a looker in my opinion and that annoys me; but I’m curious to hear what others think. (For the record it looks great when you are driving it but whilst watching it walk…just no)

What evidence of shields do you have? Unless I have missed something, there are no shields.

We cannot gauge the power of it as the only usage of it we have seen is it shooting at inept targets.

Is that a typo? That says it does not follow canon when it does.

As for the appearance I think as far as realism is nails it apart from the height. The height raises the center of gravity too much which would make it prone to toppling over. When crouched it looks MUCH better.

The F117 night eagle was the FUGLIEST plane ever…but it got the job done.

That and in an open field I see the gauss hog owning the mantis

Also, uhm…why does it NOT follow canon?

> > -It uses shields, as well as also having vehicle health
> > -When being used the player switches into third person view, whether it has FPS capabilities is unknown - but do people want a FPS Mech?
> >
> > Now for some discussion, I’ll start the ball rolling shall I?:
> >
> > Is it over-powered?: Health wise I don’t think so. It’s about time for a vehicle to stand up to the laser which gives far too much power to a lone Spartan. Firepower wise it depends as to whether the rockets seek. If so then yes it is OP if not then it looks fine seeing as it can be boarded by a sneaky Spartan
> >
> > Does it follow canon?: Well there was the Cyclops -another mech from the Halo universe- so no. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100215210441/halo/images/9/93/CyclopsHW.png
> >
> > Does it look nice?: No. It looks spindly, has a bad walking animation and doesn’t come in pink. Seriously though, this thing just isn’t a looker in my opinion and that annoys me; but I’m curious to hear what others think. (For the record it looks great when you are driving it but whilst watching it walk…just no)
>
> What evidence of shields do you have? Unless I have missed something, there are no shields.
>
> We cannot gauge the power of it as the only usage of it we have seen is it shooting at inept targets.
>
> Is that a typo? That says it does not follow canon when it does.
>
> As for the appearance I think as far as realism is nails it apart from the height. The height raises the center of gravity too much which would make it prone to toppling over. When crouched it looks MUCH better.

I have access to a video I’m not sure if it is leaked or not so I will not post it. Msg me if you want to.

Yes it was a typo -my bad!

It’s not so much the aesthetics as it is the movement animation - my secret video demonstrates this