Let Players Play What They Want to Play

The voting system for maps and gametypes have come a long way. But in Halo 4 it has to do what it has never done before, let people play what they actually feel like playing. I propose this system.

There would be a search filter and you could choose from either Random gametype + random map (fastest to find a match), Specific gametype (slayer, ctf etc) + random map, specific gametype + specific map, List of wanted maps & list of wanted gametypes (ctf, 1 flag, multi etc), random gametype + specific map.

Maybe in ranked you couldnt have a choice but this should def be in there for social since everyoen is in there to have fun.

PROS

• a lot of opening game quitting would stop
  • People could play what they actually want to play instead of being stuck on a map or gametype they dont want.

Good idea.

This wouldn’t work for ranked play, but for social I don’t see why not.

Edit: Although as others are saying below it would splinter the population too much.

> This wouldn’t work for ranked play, but for social I don’t see why not.

Well maybe for ranked you could pick 1 or 2 maps you really dont like and dont want to play. excluding 1 map dont think would really make much of a diff. although i had this idea primarily for social.

no for the main reason of it would split the population too much. Think about it. Instead of there being 20000 people in TS, there would now be 400 for this map and playlist so many for this and that. it would get boring bc of the small amount of people in the same playlist as it would also take longer to find games. That is to say if when you picked a map you got ONLY that map/gametype. Halo has a deccent amount of players for what it has now but split up the population that much and its like trying to find a game in Halo 3 least popular gametype now.

> no for the main reason of it would split the population too much. Think about it. Instead of there being 20000 people in TS, there would now be 400 for this map and playlist so many for this and that. it would get boring bc of the small amount of people in the same playlist as it would also take longer to find games. That is to say if when you picked a map you got ONLY that map/gametype. Halo has a deccent amount of players for what it has now but split up the population that much and its like trying to find a game in Halo 3 least popular gametype now.

If H4 is as popular as CE-3 i dont think i would be a problem, plus it would only affect those who want a specific map. You speak like evryone will only want one map, myself included would hav ea list of maps id want to play and exclude only a few (for me i would be zealot)

I dont know many who would always only search for only 1 map, i think lists would be mor epopular so i dont think the effect on population would be huge.

If there are enough players I don’t see why not, but I’d imagine the most popular map would be played often while some maps would go practically unplayed with guys searching for a match forever. I’d much rather have the veto system.

well idk. you can never tell. It might it might not. You forget that the Halo population is very unpredictable at times.

> If there are enough players I don’t see why not, but I’d imagine the most popular map would be played often while some maps would go practically unplayed with guys searching for a match forever. I’d much rather have the veto system.

then the majority are happy? sounds ok to me. Maps and gametypes that arent popular are even harder to get as it is, my system woudl make it easier since you will eventually get your map.

For ex i love invasion slayer but i have tried so many times and all i ever get is invasion boneyard or spire. Atleast with my system it may take a while but i will eventually get what i want to play.

> > This wouldn’t work for ranked play, but for social I don’t see why not.
>
> Well maybe for ranked you could pick 1 or 2 maps you really dont like and dont want to play. excluding 1 map dont think would really make much of a diff. although i had this idea primarily for social.

I don’t really see a big problem with this system with regards to ranked play. The only good argument against it that I can think of off the top of my head would be a lot of people would stick to very specific gametypes, maps, settings, etc. and would thus split up the ranked population more than would be optimal to maintain a proper and accurate ranking system. However, the people who do that, in the long run, won’t really benefit that much unless they are content to sit on a level 49 or 50 (speaking in terms of H2 and H3 rankings) for the rest of their time playing (seeing a lvl 50 who didn’t deserve it in H2 or H3 never really bothered me that much personally since no one will likely ever see that person in a ranked playlist again) or deserving enough of that rank to go out and succeed in other gametypes as well. It is impossible to have a perfect ranking system as it is and this system would do no better in that regard, but people who do play solely for attaining the highest ranks possible through any means are missing the point of ranked playlists. The point is to make for the best and most competitive games possible and the people who miss that point sorely miss out on the experience. Let them have their 50s, I’ll have my entertainment in good, competitive games and this system doesn’t really take that away from the players. Having said all that, I am in no way lobbying for that kind of system for ranked playlists. It would be an unnecessary addition to any future Halo game, although I wouldn’t be totally opposed to it.

> > If there are enough players I don’t see why not, but I’d imagine the most popular map would be played often while some maps would go practically unplayed with guys searching for a match forever. I’d much rather have the veto system.
>
> then the majority are happy? sounds ok to me. Maps and gametypes that arent popular are even harder to get as it is, my system woudl make it easier since you will eventually get your map.
>
> For ex i love invasion slayer but i have tried so many times and all i ever get is invasion boneyard or spire. Atleast with my system it may take a while but i will eventually get what i want to play.

True, but I’d imagine when the game reaches a state of not being extremely popular you’d practically never find a match. Besides, I like variety while also getting into a match very fast. I’d be pretty much forced to search in the most populated maps to get a fast match, but in lesser populated maps to get a full variety. I get what you are going for with your system, and it’s a great concept, but the fact some maps would be low on population making matchmaking take an extremely long time, even with the possibility of never finding a match on a map I might love the most sort of drives me away.

> > > This wouldn’t work for ranked play, but for social I don’t see why not.
> >
> > Well maybe for ranked you could pick 1 or 2 maps you really dont like and dont want to play. excluding 1 map dont think would really make much of a diff. although i had this idea primarily for social.
>
> I don’t really see a big problem with this system with regards to ranked play. The only good argument against it that I can think of off the top of my head would be a lot of people would stick to very specific gametypes, maps, settings, etc. and would thus split up the ranked population more than would be optimal to maintain a proper and accurate ranking system. However, the people who do that, in the long run, won’t really benefit that much unless they are content to sit on a level 49 or 50 (speaking in terms of H2 and H3 rankings) for the rest of their time playing (seeing a lvl 50 who didn’t deserve it in H2 or H3 never really bothered me that much personally since no one will likely ever see that person in a ranked playlist again) or deserving enough of that rank to go out and succeed in other gametypes as well. It is impossible to have a perfect ranking system as it is and this system would do no better in that regard, but people who do play solely for attaining the highest ranks possible through any means are missing the point of ranked playlists. The point is to make for the best and most competitive games possible and the people who miss that point sorely miss out on the experience. Let them have their 50s, I’ll have my entertainment in good, competitive games and this system doesn’t really take that away from the players. Having said all that, I am in no way lobbying for that kind of system for ranked playlists. It would be an unnecessary addition to any future Halo game, although I wouldn’t be totally opposed to it.

Your 100% right when you say this shouldn’t be for ranked playlists . A team of 8 can just go in an boost , it would be too easy for them .

But OT , I say this could work out really well for social . Give the players a way to search for mini-games like puzzles and -Yoink- . I could see Forge World being a blessing or a problem . It could be good for people looking to playtest their newly built map , but on the other hand I also see people making ridiculous maps to troll people . Infection could double in fun . You’ll be able to find Quest games , Race games , just about any gametype anyone can make .

Playlists should stay , but have this as a feature .

Search times would be ridiculously long for certain games and maps. Also said as above it would split the community to much.

> > > > This wouldn’t work for ranked play, but for social I don’t see why not.
> > >
> > > Well maybe for ranked you could pick 1 or 2 maps you really dont like and dont want to play. excluding 1 map dont think would really make much of a diff. although i had this idea primarily for social.
> >
> > I don’t really see a big problem with this system with regards to ranked play. The only good argument against it that I can think of off the top of my head would be a lot of people would stick to very specific gametypes, maps, settings, etc. and would thus split up the ranked population more than would be optimal to maintain a proper and accurate ranking system. However, the people who do that, in the long run, won’t really benefit that much unless they are content to sit on a level 49 or 50 (speaking in terms of H2 and H3 rankings) for the rest of their time playing (seeing a lvl 50 who didn’t deserve it in H2 or H3 never really bothered me that much personally since no one will likely ever see that person in a ranked playlist again) or deserving enough of that rank to go out and succeed in other gametypes as well. It is impossible to have a perfect ranking system as it is and this system would do no better in that regard, but people who do play solely for attaining the highest ranks possible through any means are missing the point of ranked playlists. The point is to make for the best and most competitive games possible and the people who miss that point sorely miss out on the experience. Let them have their 50s, I’ll have my entertainment in good, competitive games and this system doesn’t really take that away from the players. Having said all that, I am in no way lobbying for that kind of system for ranked playlists. It would be an unnecessary addition to any future Halo game, although I wouldn’t be totally opposed to it.
>
> Your 100% right when you say this shouldn’t be for ranked playlists . A team of 8 can just go in an boost , it would be too easy for them .
>
> But OT , I say this could work out really well for social . Give the players a way to search for mini-games like puzzles and Yoink! . I could see Forge World being a blessing or a problem . It could be good for people looking to playtest their newly built map , but on the other hand I also see people making ridiculous maps to troll people . Infection could double in fun . You’ll be able to find Quest games , Race games , just about any gametype anyone can make .
>
> Playlists should stay , but have this as a feature .

I didn’t say outright that it shouldn’t be in ranked playlists. I just said that it would be an unnecessary addition. As far as 8 people going in and boosting, I suppose they could do that and get their 50s that way, but again, those people are missing the point of ranked playlists and won’t benefit beyond getting that number next to their name. Although, I suppose if the absolute integrity of the ranking system is more important to the general population than it apparently is to me, then that’s fine too. Just include in the system a way to stop such an exploit, which there would be plenty of acceptable ways of doing. I don’t think any future Halo game needs such a system, but it is an interesting idea that wouldn’t have to be a gamebreaker if done properly, that’s all.

> Search times would be ridiculously long for certain games and maps. Also said as above it would split the community to much.

Like I said , having it as a feature , you can now get community maps for any gametype. But playlist’s need to be dominant as to keep order . Basically what I’m saying is do this for 1 playlist as a feature . Make it a community playlist .

Its a great idea - I would suggest this is how it should look in the user interface
Level 1 - FF, Custom, MM, campaing, theater etc
click on MM
Level2 - playlists type - ranked / social
click on social
Level 3 - playlists - Sqaud slayer, BTB, infection etc
click on Squad slayer
Level 4 - Maps avail on that playlist
click on a Map
Level 5 - Type of game - AR start, DMR start etc

I am not sure how it would work for Ranked - but for social it would be great almost as good as custom game search :slight_smile:

Battlefield Bad Company 2 had this, you search for a specific gamrtype on a specific map.

Custom Game matchmaking, yes. It’s pretty much a must.

Normal matchmaking, no. It would split the population to much.

> Custom Game matchmaking, yes. It’s pretty much a must.
>
> Normal matchmaking, no. It would split the population to much.

This sounds best.

> The voting system for maps and gametypes have come a long way. But in Halo 4 it has to do what it has never done before, let people play what they actually feel like playing. I propose this system.
>
> There would be a search filter and you could choose from either Random gametype + random map (fastest to find a match), Specific gametype (slayer, ctf etc) + random map, specific gametype + specific map, List of wanted maps & list of wanted gametypes (ctf, 1 flag, multi etc), random gametype + specific map.
>
> Maybe in ranked you couldnt have a choice but this should def be in there for social since everyoen is in there to have fun.
>
> PROS
>
> - a lot of opening game quitting would stop
> - People could play what they actually want to play instead of being stuck on a map or gametype they dont want.

This is basicly what you do in Player/Public matches, dont like the map then quit and search again.
Drop in drop out gameplay for the social matches aka Player/Public matches
http://halo.xbox.com/forums/games/f/7/t/8342.aspx