Let Bravo make the Multiplayer

He is a smart guy he can do it. Let him lead the multiplayer team. He made me like Halo 4 so if he makes Halo 5 good from the beginning that would be awesome. He greatly improved Halo 4’s multiplayer.

YES! Bravo and Delhoyo are multiplayer gurus!

That would be a start.

Agreed, he has made some very cool changes and has been a valuable addition to the 343i team.

My only worries are that since Bravo was a former MLG player, him handling most (or a large amount) of the ideas of multiplayer could possibly tend to make the multiplayer mode lean a bit too much to the competitive scene. However, he may be playing Halo a bit more for enjoyment now that he is not a professional player.

You want a large team of people with different ideas to satisfy as many player audiences as you can. Although the competitive scene is HUGE, keep in mind that not everyone plays Halo competitively…

> Agreed, he has made some very cool changes and has been a valuable addition to the 343i team.
>
> <mark>My only worries are that since Bravo was a former MLG player, him handling most (or a large amount) of the ideas of multiplayer could possibly tend to make the multiplayer mode lean a bit too much to the competitive scene. However, he may be playing Halo a bit more for enjoyment now that he is not a professional player.</mark>
>
> You want a large team of people with different ideas to satisfy as many player audiences as you can. Although the competitive scene is HUGE, keep in mind that not everyone plays Halo competitively…

Im going to have to agree with this, he has helped change a lot but i also noticed that a lot of the map changes have just been “remove most weapons and replace them with a sniper rifle” which i dislike.

> > Agreed, he has made some very cool changes and has been a valuable addition to the 343i team.
> >
> > <mark>My only worries are that since Bravo was a former MLG player, him handling most (or a large amount) of the ideas of multiplayer could possibly tend to make the multiplayer mode lean a bit too much to the competitive scene. However, he may be playing Halo a bit more for enjoyment now that he is not a professional player.</mark>
> >
> > You want a large team of people with different ideas to satisfy as many player audiences as you can. Although the competitive scene is HUGE, keep in mind that not everyone plays Halo competitively…
>
> Im going to have to agree with this, he has helped change a lot but i also noticed that a lot of the map changes have just been “remove most weapons and replace them with a sniper rifle” which i dislike.

Can’t even breathe for 10 seconds without sniper bullets flying around in Infinity Slayer.

As long as Bravo talks to experienced community members who have detailed, thorough, ideas and care about rebuilding the franchise I am happy. I just hope he doesn’t talk exclusively to the competitive community and fill the game with their biases.

As long as he gives me a Social Playlist for gamers who like to have fun rather than stat pad, then I’m good.

> > > Agreed, he has made some very cool changes and has been a valuable addition to the 343i team.
> > >
> > > <mark>My only worries are that since Bravo was a former MLG player, him handling most (or a large amount) of the ideas of multiplayer could possibly tend to make the multiplayer mode lean a bit too much to the competitive scene. However, he may be playing Halo a bit more for enjoyment now that he is not a professional player.</mark>
> > >
> > > You want a large team of people with different ideas to satisfy as many player audiences as you can. Although the competitive scene is HUGE, keep in mind that not everyone plays Halo competitively…
> >
> > Im going to have to agree with this, he has helped change a lot but i also noticed that a lot of the map changes have just been “remove most weapons and replace them with a sniper rifle” which i dislike.
>
> Can’t even breathe for 10 seconds without sniper bullets flying around in Infinity Slayer.

Yea I don’t mind snipers but when they’re on the small maps like Adrift it just ruins the flow. But Bravo has been invaluable but we need more brains for that multiplayer monster.

> Agreed, he has made some very cool changes and has been a valuable addition to the 343i team.
>
> My only worries are that since Bravo was a former MLG player, him handling most (or a large amount) of the ideas of multiplayer could possibly tend to make the multiplayer mode lean a bit too much to the competitive scene. However, he may be playing Halo a bit more for enjoyment now that he is not a professional player.

Well, actually I’m pretty sure Bravo was the one who was pushing Ghostayame to use more “Infinity Friendly” settings for Throwdown, under the idea of getting newer players into competitive Halo.

I think he’d definitely put a larger hold onto competitive (which it really needs) but I don’t think he’d forget all about Infinity fans or casual players either. Or at least, I hope he wouldn’t.

Either way, it definitely wouldn’t be as random as Halo 4, which would be a massive plus all around.

Bravo and Quinn specifically have done more for Halo 4’s multiplayer than anyone else on 343i’s team. Having them in charge of it as much as possible while also catering to some extent to fan reactions to the game is the best way to go.

Pay attention to what most fans really do like, and what most get frustrated over. For instance, a lot of the fans are crying out for Elites to return to Halo’s multiplayer, especially as a free choice similar to Halo 2 and 3. As well, a lot of fans are against including Perks and AAs in Loadouts, and would rather have our Automatic, Utility, and Precision Weapons separated and not all available in every gametype:

In terms of spawning loadouts, Team Slayer should be Automatics (AR, PR/SR, SPR/SB), Team Slayer Rifles should be Utility weapons (BR, CC), Big Team Slayer should be Precision Weapons (DMR, NR, LR).

I’ve noticed one sentiment in this thread that I find to be simply untrue. The idea that competitive game design prevents fun social play is false. A properly balanced game with balanced incentive and rewards helps to allow more social settings that still maintain a strong structure to the game.

On the other hand, uncompetitive game design directly undermines competitive game play.

That’s why I feel the base game mode needs to be balanced around competitive settings (random and personal ordinance are simply not competitive mechanics even if you approach infinity slayer with a competitive mindset) with robust customization options to allow Infinity, fiesta, and whatever other more casual game types you want.

I’m sure any lead multiplayer designer would be interested in input from ex mlg pro’s. Especially if they are trying to design something that is going to be accepted by the competitive community.

Bravo leading the mp team would be a dream come true, and if I learned anything over the time prior to halo 4’s release is that he is dedicated…and a free sample of the game fuel, I forgot what it is called, that sponsored him wasn’t half bad xD
However I do not have the spare money to buy more, but if h5’s mp is awesome I will consider buying a box lol.

Above all a serious dose of competitive awesomeness is needed, If someone like him or just as experienced in competitive halo to help get it back on the circuit. Being able to have a mlg primed game right out of the box and into their streams would be fantastic, the more multimedia attention it gets, particularly e-sports attention, the more it will attract people to go nuts over just like h3 did back in 2007-2008.

It needs to become that go-to fps that a new player at fps genre can pick up and enjoy in a short few minutes but years for even the most hardcore of the hardcore to master. And with people like Bravo and associates at the helm, I would give hope to that happening cause you know what I miss? I miss when counter strike and h2 were the big league titles to show off in competitive gaming. Sure LoL, Starcraft 2, and Dota 2 are hot right now but they just aren’t the same, I would really like to have a fps again to attract as much attention they are, but also be tactical and strategic…and I’d prefer cod to not be that fps.

Hell I would love to see competitive bf4 with how it looked at gamescom, but halo seems to have a better fit for this kind of style of competition though lol. And I would like to believe things mlg help spread games around, I know it did where I grew up, we all ended up into halo, some of us went to tournaments even(I never did lol) and they did pretty good themselves

> I’ve noticed one sentiment in this thread that I find to be simply untrue. The idea that competitive game design prevents fun social play is false. A properly balanced game with balanced incentive and rewards helps to allow more social settings that still maintain a strong structure to the game.
>
> On the other hand, uncompetitive game design directly undermines competitive game play.
>
> That’s why I feel the base game mode needs to be balanced around competitive settings (random and personal ordinance are simply not competitive mechanics even if you approach infinity slayer with a competitive mindset) with robust customization options to allow Infinity, fiesta, and whatever other more casual game types you want.

Everything I would like to say for the most part…

Halo 4 today is 108% better then Halo 4 was on day 1 and that’s because of Balance and competitive ideas help make it better for everyone.

Yeah, if they hired other professional Halo gamers such as Ghandi, T-Squared, Flamesword, Walshy etc etc, I think the multiplayer for Halo 5 will be pristine, since they could really help in balancing the game and competitive map design.

> Yeah, if they hired other professional Halo gamers such as Ghandi, T-Squared, Flamesword, Walshy etc etc, I think the multiplayer for Halo 5 will be pristine, since they could really help in balancing the game and competitive map design.

I think its important to get that competitive input for balancing purposes, but I think its also important to keep in mind that the competitive community is a minority voice on design preference. Certainly take advantage of their insights into competitive balance, but don’t make the mistake of designing your game around MLG settings.

> I think its important to get that competitive input for balancing purposes, but I think its also important to keep in mind that the competitive community is a minority voice on design preference. Certainly take advantage of their insights into competitive balance, but <mark>don’t make the mistake of designing your game around MLG settings.</mark>

I have yet to see a highly successful MLG playlist in Halo.

> > I think its important to get that competitive input for balancing purposes, but I think its also important to keep in mind that the competitive community is a minority voice on design preference. Certainly take advantage of their insights into competitive balance, but <mark>don’t make the mistake of designing your game around MLG settings.</mark>
>
> I have yet to see a highly successful MLG playlist in Halo.

Competitive Halo is still what made Halo to this day. You didn’t get all your friends together to play CE back in the day to play slap hands Hog Wars or anything like that, you play. “I am going to beat you because I am better than you!”

If you take a game that is competitive there is no reason a social group won’t like the game. Competitive is three key aspects: Balanced (symmetrical map and weapons), Functional Maps w/some harder jumps and Removal of randomness (events,weapons and power-ups) through a match.

> Competitive Halo is still what made Halo to this day. You didn’t get all your friends together to play CE back in the day to play slap hands Hog Wars or anything like that, you play. “I am going to beat you because I am better than you!”
>
> If you take a game that is competitive there is no reason a social group won’t like the game. Competitive is three key aspects: Balanced (symmetrical map and weapons), Functional Maps w/some harder jumps and Removal of randomness (events,weapons and power-ups) through a match.

I know. I’m just saying that “competitive Halo” doesn’t necessarily equate to the preferences of the “competitive community.”

MLG settings are basically what works at very high levels of play with high amounts of coordination. Designing the standard experience needs to take into account the mean/median/mode (you get the idea) level of play… that is to say the level the game is “normally” played at.

So like I said, definitely take advantage of your competitive gurus to balance the game, but you still have to have game designers that are using discretion to filter the advice of players that are essentially outliers with respect to the majority of players playing the game.