Less Pointless Medals in Halo 4

I know I’m not the only one that finds the ridiculous amount of pointless medals in Halo Reach to just be cluttering up the screen. I really don’t think we need a medal for dying with low health, killing an opponent while reloading, etc.

343 should stick to medals which mean something like double kill, triple kill, killing spree, splatter spree, assist, headshot, etc.

Hopefully 343 will have a similar amount of medals in Halo 4 as Halo 3, rather than Reach.

> I know I’m not the only one that finds the ridiculous amount of pointless medals in Halo Reach to just be cluttering up the screen. I really don’t think we need a medal for dying with low health, killing an opponent while reloading, etc.
>
> 343 should stick to medals which mean something like double kill, triple kill, killing spree, splatter spree, assist, headshot, etc.
>
> Hopefully 343 will have a similar amount of medals in Halo 4 as Halo 3, rather than Reach.

I know what you mean. I hate killing someone and having seven different medals pop up. Halo 3’s medals were just fine.

> > I know I’m not the only one that finds the ridiculous amount of pointless medals in Halo Reach to just be cluttering up the screen. I really don’t think we need a medal for dying with low health, killing an opponent while reloading, etc.
> >
> > 343 should stick to medals which mean something like double kill, triple kill, killing spree, splatter spree, assist, headshot, etc.
> >
> > Hopefully 343 will have a similar amount of medals in Halo 4 as Halo 3, rather than Reach.
>
> I know what you mean. I hate killing someone and having seven different medals pop up. Halo 3’s medals were just fine.

Yeah a lot of them are pointless but due to Commendations they are somewhat needed. If commendations don’t return then Yes they are not relevant.

i agree with op.
The First strike medal can go away too

hey i dont care about the random medals…they’re ok and all, can get a bit annoying but i’d rather they stay. if they’re gone in H4, thats ok as well.

Honestly, as long as the gameplay isn’t horrible like Reach’s, you can put thousands of useless medals and I wouldn’t even care.

I find it weird how First Strike is always a Top medal. I got a Perfection once and it didn’t even show up on the Top Medals. WTF?

I agreed with OP. There are several pointless medals in the game such as Avenger, First Strike, Reload This, Revenge, Close Call etc. I wouldn’t mourn em if they didn’t make it to Halo 4.

According to top medals, first strike > killamanjaro

Agreed. Getting 4 medals for a kill just kind of kills the point of them. I don’t feel rewarded at all when I get them. (except for the headshot medal, love that thing)

I agree. There are quit a few medals that are rather pointless:

• Headcase and Pull: What is so special about headshotting someone who’s sprinting and killing someone who’s using his jetpack? Nothing!
  • Bulltrue: What worth has that medal when you die anyway most of the time? It would be different if getting a Bulltrue meant that you survived a sword attack.
  • Pummel: This happens so often that it simply shouldn’t be worth a medal. You might as well award another medal for spraying someone with the AR.
  • First Strike: The most pointless medal of all. Someone is bound to get it, and it’s no achievement to get one. Pointless.
  • Firebird: Why is it something special if I kill someone while jetpacking? Seriously, why?
  • Reload This!: So my opponent just killed someone else and now has to reload his weapon, and me killing him while he can’t shoot back is worth a medal? Seriously?
  • Rejection: So you managed to hold a button when a grenade exploded right next to you? Definitely worth a medal…
  • Close Call: Again, why is it worth a medal if you manage to kill someone while you’re almost dead? This happens much too often, and the only reason why people don’t get more Close Call medals is because they rush to the next opponent and get killed while their shields are still not fully recharged and their health is almost gone.
    That’s quite a lot of medals, and in my opinion, none of them mean actually having achieved something that’s worth being rewarded with a medal. And with the exception of Pummel, none of them add to any commendation. Not even Headcase does because it doesn’t matter for the One Shot commendation if your opponent is sprinting or not if you kill him with a headshot.

Ok, I’m wrong: All these medals add to the Jack of All Trades commendation. But seriously, this commendation appears to be just an excuse for having all those pointless medals in the first place.

> Firebird: Why is it something special if I kill someone while jetpacking? Seriously, why

It’s actually quite an accomplishment for some people. I’m one of them. I mean, aiming and holding X while shooting is pretty frickin’ difficult. It actually is.

Bumper Jumper FTW!

> I agree. There are quit a few medals that are rather pointless:
>
> - Headcase and Pull: What is so special about headshotting someone who’s sprinting and killing someone who’s using his jetpack? Nothing!
> - Bulltrue: What worth has that medal when you die anyway most of the time? It would be different if getting a Bulltrue meant that you survived a sword attack.
> - Pummel: This happens so often that it simply shouldn’t be worth a medal. You might as well award another medal for spraying someone with the AR.
> - First Strike: The most pointless medal of all. Someone is bound to get it, and it’s no achievement to get one. Pointless.
> - Firebird: Why is it something special if I kill someone while jetpacking? Seriously, why?
> - Reload This!: So my opponent just killed someone else and now has to reload his weapon, and me killing him while he can’t shoot back is worth a medal? Seriously?
> - Rejection: So you managed to hold a button when a grenade exploded right next to you? Definitely worth a medal…
> - Close Call: Again, why is it worth a medal if you manage to kill someone while you’re almost dead? This happens much too often, and the only reason why people don’t get more Close Call medals is because they rush to the next opponent and get killed while their shields are still not fully recharged and their health is almost gone.
> That’s quite a lot of medals, and in my opinion, none of them mean actually having achieved something that’s worth being rewarded with a medal. And with the exception of Pummel, none of them add to any commendation. Not even Headcase does because it doesn’t matter for the One Shot commendation if your opponent is sprinting or not if you kill him with a headshot.
>
> Ok, I’m wrong: All these medals add to the Jack of All Trades commendation. But seriously, this commendation appears to be just an excuse for having all those pointless medals in the first place.

In theory bulltrue could work though. It’s just the latency online that screws it up. I think bulltrue works if you play offline when all the lag is absent.

>
> - Headcase and Pull: What is so special about headshotting someone who’s sprinting and killing someone who’s using his jetpack? Nothing!
> - Bulltrue: What worth has that medal when you die anyway most of the time? It would be different if getting a Bulltrue meant that you survived a sword attack.
> - Pummel: This happens so often that it simply shouldn’t be worth a medal. You might as well award another medal for spraying someone with the AR.
> - First Strike: The most pointless medal of all. Someone is bound to get it, and it’s no achievement to get one. Pointless.
> - Firebird: Why is it something special if I kill someone while jetpacking? Seriously, why?
> - Reload This!: So my opponent just killed someone else and now has to reload his weapon, and me killing him while he can’t shoot back is worth a medal? Seriously?
> - Rejection: So you managed to hold a button when a grenade exploded right next to you? Definitely worth a medal…
> - Close Call: Again, why is it worth a medal if you manage to kill someone while you’re almost dead? This happens much too often, and the only reason why people don’t get more Close Call medals is because they rush to the next opponent and get killed while their shields are still not fully recharged and their health is almost gone.
> That’s quite a lot of medals, and in my opinion, none of them mean actually having achieved something that’s worth being rewarded with a medal. And with the exception of Pummel, none of them add to any commendation. Not even Headcase does because it doesn’t matter for the One Shot commendation if your opponent is sprinting or not if you kill him with a headshot.
>
> Ok, I’m wrong: All these medals add to the Jack of All Trades commendation. But seriously, this commendation appears to be just an excuse for having all those pointless medals in the first place.

Great list!

I agree, I don’t really care if I killed someone who was reloading. I do like some of the spree medals they have though. Namely the assist sprees and the assist medals. Also, do we really need a medal for EVERY time we kill someone with a headshot?

>
>

That’s a fine list, x GangsterNo1 x. Reach has too many medals, and that supports the notion that this is just a “feel good”, casual game. There are some medals that I think are pointless as well. I can’t hope to top your list with one of my own so I’ll just add on some:

• Revenge: Was this added to make people feel better about themselves?
  • Avenger: It’s like Revenge but you’ve killed that person instead of your teammate.

The only medal I would have added to Reach that we should have had in Halo 3 was “MVP”. There was an MVP chosen at the end of Halo 3 games. Reach could have had this medal, and kept track of it for every player. This medal would give me more incentive during Team Slayer games.

Let’s see an MVP medal for Halo 4!

Well, atleast Reach isn’t like it was in its Beta state. Now that was completely ridiculous. I think during Beta games I died and even accumulated medals. Maybe it was that smiley one that popped up every 20 seconds.

Also, First Strike should not be a top medal. It’s about as skillful as getting a Headshot medal or a Pummel.

As long as Top Medals are fixed, I will be happy.

I don’t mind the medals, except for that stupid “Rejection” medal that encourages Armor Lock left and right.

In Halo 3 I remember getting a one shot kill for 4 medals with the Sniper Rifle sometimes. It would be like a Flag Carrier kill, Sniping Spree, Killing Spree, with a headshot for the Snipe medal.

In Reach 4 medal plays happen just about every other game. You can get an Avenger, Reload This, Killing Spree, with a Headshot medal. Did I mention that this a “feel good” game before?

I didn’t like the medals in Reach b/c they were too dark and made to look dirty. Where in halo 3 they were clean and bright and simple.

I hope Halo 4 takes after the Halo 2/3 style medals.