Legendary Slayer - Next Steps

When Halo 4 began I was all up in cheers of the next Halo franchise. Shortly thereafter, along with many others, I lost interest and the game slipped. I moped and I cried at all the changes in gameplay until I learned that it doesn’t matter. What is will be. So I moped along staying in customs and forge but the changes recently have sparked my interest.

So after that short history lesson, time to get down to the point. 343 Industries has started to introduce classic playlists. Far after launch they dwindle along with many others because most who would enjoy them have left. I for one stayed and I am happy I did. With the introduction of the Legendary slayer playlist and now the Legendary Rumble it appears we will be slowing gaining a classic section of the game. I for one am excited and if the good work continues then I will be purchasing Halo 5.

After the praise however, there are some things I think could be improved with the gameplay. Mainly this is the exclusion of the secondary in loadouts. The lack of a secondary (mainly the magnum) does cause a delema in the gameplay. If I go and pick up a precision rifle I immediately have a significant advantage over the enemy, which should happen but in its current for is too much. The magnum is in place to give players an ability to combat at ranges outside the AR’s range.

Since their are few rifles in game on the maps (or as far as gameplay has shown) the people wielding the rifles can sit back and easily kill other players. If the magnum were introduced it would provide an ability to combat the ranged enemies while giving the advantage to the player with the rifle.

I am sorry if this is a little incoherent, I just had the idea and I am very tired right now. I probably won’t be able to see this again because of the waypoint system but feel free to discuss amoungst yourselves.

Thanks for your post and feedback.

We launched the playlist with AR start only to optimize pacing / map movement. While Halo: CE and Halo 3 both featured “AR + Pistol” starts, they both offered VERY different gameplay - in the former, you nearly always switched weapons when you respawned due to the pistol’s versatility. In the latter, the pistol was a much less formidable sidearm, creating very different balance dynamics, and switching to the pistol was much less rare to say the least. However, in Halo 4, the 6 shot Pistol lies somewhere between these two weapons in terms of usefulness, lethality, etc. As a result, we have decided not to tune the pistol differently in this game type, and rather focus on a basic experience in which the starting weapon is viable as a close to mid-range weapon, and players must move and fight over the map and the weapons that are scattered throughout. Hope this clears things up a bit - adding a secondary can greatly change the flow of the map and gameplay.

In response to community feedback about having a precision option, or a “way to fight back,” we’re premiering BR/AR starts in the Global Championship next week. Based on the feedback we receive, we may implement the game type into the Legendary Slayer (4v4) playlist.

Thanks again, glad you’re enjoying Legendary Slayer, and we hope you give Legendary Rumble BR a shot - let us know what you think!

> Thanks for your post and feedback.
>
> We launched the playlist with AR start only to optimize pacing / map movement. While Halo: CE and Halo 3 both featured “AR + Pistol” starts, they both offered VERY different gameplay - in the former, you nearly always switched weapons when you respawned due to the pistol’s versatility. In the latter, the pistol was a much less formidable sidearm, creating very different balance dynamics, and switching to the pistol was much less rare to say the least. However, in Halo 4, the 6 shot Pistol lies somewhere between these two weapons in terms of usefulness, lethality, etc. As a result, we have decided not to tune the pistol differently in this game type, and rather focus on a basic experience in which the starting weapon is viable as a close to mid-range weapon, and players must move and fight over the map and the weapons that are scattered throughout. Hope this clears things up a bit - adding a secondary can greatly change the flow of the map and gameplay.
>
> In response to community feedback about having a precision option, or a “way to fight back,” we’re premiering BR/AR starts in the Global Championship next week. Based on the feedback we receive, we may implement the game type into the Legendary Slayer (4v4) playlist.
>
> Thanks again, glad you’re enjoying Legendary Slayer, and we hope you give Legendary Rumble BR a shot - let us know what you think!

If you bring AR/BR starts into the playlist at least bring SR/Carbine starts as well, I hate the BR, and if the Covenant options aren’t available as well that would be a shame

> If you bring AR/BR starts into the playlist at least bring SR/Carbine starts as well, I hate the BR, and if the Covenant options aren’t available as well that would be a shame

Storm Rifle starts would rock :smiley:

Legendary slayer is fine the way it currently is. The AR is so dominant it can take out BR players easily.

AR only starts is the way to go. Teamwork can easily take out precision positions. That’s what classic halo is about. TEAMWORK!!! Just like the good old days of mics being used… Everyone wants to complain that the AR is beaten by the BR, well last time I checked there are plenty of BRs on the maps with generous respawns and if that fails, two AR users with sprint and cover can dominate the field, overtaking any BR user.

[/quote]
If you bring AR/BR starts into the playlist at least bring SR/Carbine starts as well, I hate the BR, and if the Covenant options aren’t available as well that would be a shame
[/quote]
YES! Theyre so similar, and both were in past halo in some form. Might as well.

Keeps classic halo while giving some players more options.

I’ll certainly do that, Bravo.
Anything to help.

I understand both perspectives, and can easily see this going either way.
However, if AR-only remains, more precision rifles need to be scattered about the maps.

i dont play halo 4 anymore but ive talked to several friends and if they do include br starts we will be comming back to play legendary playlists exclusively.

While I agree that the loss of the magnum creates the environment where the player must chose his path wisely but at the same time the map must be designed for the versatility of this gameplay. The maps presented in the playlist currently consist of ones made for infinity slayer and older halo (shutout).

I am glad to see you trying the AR starts with the upcoming playlist. I don’t think that the AR is the same thing as have a Magnum however. As you stated, the magnum sits in that middle ground between the Halo 3 and Reach models and this is why I believe it would be balanced in the Legendary Playlists.

I am happy that 343 Industries is now moving towards being open to a classic section of the playlists. Also, thank you for the time to respond to this thread. I have been shying away from it as of late because I felt that no matter what I say it will not be heard.

I look forward to the future of the franchise and I will most likely stay with it for now.

>
> We launched the playlist with AR start only to optimize pacing / map movement.

Oh okay, how’s Legendary Slayer doing population wise right now?

Pacing/map movement never seemed to be an issue in the past Halos that featured BR starts and power weapons in default playlists. In fact they were incredibly popular.

Doesn’t matter though, most that cared about classic playlists or traditional Halo settings are long gone. Don’t screw up Halo 5/One.

> I’ll certainly do that, Bravo.
> Anything to help.
>
> I understand both perspectives, and can easily see this going either way.
> However, if AR-only remains, more precision rifles need to be scattered about the maps.

I do hope that things stay as they are in this playlist. I know I am in the minority, on these forums anyway. I have appreciated the way it is set up to have to fight for the precision weapons.

I also don’t agree with the need for more of these weapons placed throughout the maps. For example: Haven (6 BR’s, 2 Carbines, 4 Pistols), Adrift (4 BR’s, 4 Pistols, 2 Carbines). These are just off the top of my head, but if the pattern is consistent then it would seem to me that there are plenty of precision weapons on the maps. The problem as I have seen it is that very few players actually pick them up.

> > I’ll certainly do that, Bravo.
> > Anything to help.
> >
> > I understand both perspectives, and can easily see this going either way.
> > However, if AR-only remains, more precision rifles need to be scattered about the maps.
>
> I do hope that things stay as they are in this playlist. I know I am in the minority, on these forums anyway. I have appreciated the way it is set up to have to fight for the precision weapons.
>
> I also don’t agree with the need for more of these weapons placed throughout the maps. For example: Haven (6 BR’s, 2 Carbines, 4 Pistols), Adrift (4 BR’s, 4 Pistols, 2 Carbines). These are just off the top of my head, but if the pattern is consistent then it would seem to me that there are plenty of precision weapons on the maps. <mark>The problem as I have seen it is that very few players actually pick them up.</mark>

I think the problem may just be that the weapon spawns may need to be more obvious somehow or 343i needs to provide a top-view layout of where the weapons are scattered on each map so players can learn where everything is before they go into a match.

UNSC Slayer in this week’s Global Championship playlist features BR primary/AR secondary starts, and IMO, that is perfect for Halo 4.

Also, starting weapons and weapons on map do not impact map movement as much as people think they do. In gametypes like SWAT, Snipers, and Rock ‘n’ Rail, there are only one or two starting weapons and no weapons on map, and people move all over the place. The greatest benefit of map movement isn’t grabbing weapons, but gaining a strategic or power position advantage over the enemy.

>
> We launched the playlist with AR start only to optimize pacing / map movement. While Halo: CE and Halo 3 both featured “AR + Pistol” starts, they both offered VERY different gameplay - in the former, you nearly always switched weapons when you respawned due to the pistol’s versatility. In the latter, the pistol was a much less formidable sidearm, creating very different balance dynamics, and switching to the pistol was much less rare to say the least. However, in Halo 4, the 6 shot Pistol lies somewhere between these two weapons in terms of usefulness, lethality, etc. As a result, we have decided not to tune the pistol differently in this game type, and rather focus on a basic experience in which the starting weapon is viable as a close to mid-range weapon, and players must move and fight over the map and the weapons that are scattered throughout. Hope this clears things up a bit - adding a secondary can greatly change the flow of the map and gameplay.
>
> In response to community feedback about having a precision option, or a “way to fight back,” we’re premiering BR/AR starts in the Global Championship next week. Based on the feedback we receive, we may implement the game type into the Legendary Slayer (4v4) playlist.
>
> Thanks again, glad you’re enjoying Legendary Slayer, and we hope you give Legendary Rumble BR a shot - let us know what you think!

Please put some storm rifles on the map, it would work similar to the plasma rifle in the other games, and it’s a good counter part to the ar. And they are based on plasma rifles which were in the other games, so… :slight_smile:

>
>
>

Thank you Bravo! You are the best thing that has happened to 343! You know what we want!

>
>
>

Also, have you ever considered big team ls. It could be a replacement for big team slayer in btis, if having three options is too much. :slight_smile:

Legendary Objective, Legendary FFA, Big Team Legendary…

Would be nice :slight_smile: