Legendary Slayer: How Halo 4 Should Have Been

Legendary Slayer, IMO, is so much fun. It almost feels like a real classic Halo experience. To me, this is how Halo 4 should have started out. No Infinity Slayer settings, such as AA’s and loadouts and ordinance, this should have been the main slayer gametype. It’s almost like 343i actually started “taking Halo back to its roots”. Sure, it could use a magnum secondary or maybe a BR variant (which I’m sure we will get eventually), but even though it has sprint and flinch, I feel this is the way Halo 4 was meant to be. A true successor to a Halo game.

Does anyone else agree?

yes. It feels very classic. I’m sure eventually we’ll get a BR variant so we can vote between the two like Halo 3 used to be. I guess it’ll just depend how much attention the playlist gets.

I like Legendary and Infinity tbh

I only got the chance to play a few games, but I am loving it. I won’t be hollering about the random BS that is in Infinity Slayer. This is my go to playlist from now on. I wish it had a BR/LR/DMR Start voting options, and a magnum for secondary. Sprint doesn’t bother me, take it or leave it, flinch is stupid but I don’t think anything can be done about that now.

I hope Halo 5 starts off with a playlist like this. Infinity Slayer should never have been your main slayer. Here is a video review I made for this playlist.

It does feel nice. Though some stuff in the gametype needs work and adjustments to make AR starts to smooth out.

> It does feel nice. Though some stuff in the gametype needs work and adjustments to make AR starts to smooth out.

Yeah, it does need some work, but it’s a good start.

> yes. It feels very classic. I’m sure eventually we’ll get a BR variant so we can vote between the two like Halo 3 used to be. I guess it’ll just depend how much attention the playlist gets.

I hope they reduce the hell out of aim assist on the BR if they do a BR variant.

Right now it would just be 4 shots everywhere. If you see someone first, you get the kill.

The non-Forge Halo 4 maps are still terrible, though. The only good map I’ve played in that playlist so far has been the forged Lockout remake. -_-

I’d love to get the V4 slayer maps in there.

Agreed. If they remove sprint, make the pistol your secondary, and add in some v4 slayer maps, Legendary Slayer would be the best thing ever.

While the gametype is fine (I say fine loosely), I think the player base has gotten too comfy with no penalties to their rank or their account when quitting. Too many times have I played a match where my team quits almost entirely when the other team gets a leg up on us, leaving me to fend for myself. I can’t say I haven’t quit, but 98 percent of the time, I stick out the match, even if I’m losing, because late game twists have happened. It’s not impossible.

The problem for Legendary Slayer itself is they’ve restricted the JIP to the first, I think 5 minutes of the game or first few kills, whichever comes first. After that, no more JIP. Now, that’d be great and all if players had a reason to stick around. Leaving effects, what… your CSR? No one sees it and no one cares. “I’m losing, guess I’m gonna head out” is the mantra of most Halo 4 Players.

There are exceptions, but simply put, my sole issue with the gametype is that they’ve willingly bred a playerbase of quitters and drop outs that just leave whenever they feel like it and it’s hurting the playlist. Obviously, this is my opinion, but it’s important to me.

I believe that the JIP reworks apply to the entire Matchmaking experience, not just Legendary Slayer, correct?

I started playing Halo 4 again just because of Legendary Slayer. I think 343 should of started the game With Legendary Slayer instead of this infinity -Yoink-.

JiP rules are different per playlist. Competitive playlists like Team Throwdown only allow JiP for “the first few moments” of a game, while most of the others allow JiP until half the game timer or half the game score is reached.

It was all detailed in a Bulletin a while back, but I haven’t heard anything about what JiP rules Legendary Slayer uses.

Legendary slayer is the right direction for Halo 4. However, it suffers from the same problem Halo 3 did. AR starts are always race for the BR and whatever team gets it first the game is over. The BRs take to long to respawn at this point so it becomes a camp fest until weapons respawn.

Its the same thing Halo 3 realized and its why Team BRs became the focal point of social gametypes.

Halo 4 needs team BRs, team DMRs, team carbines, and Team Light Rifles added into team legendary.
Then we get a lot of the variety that people want and the game can play the way it should.

This game is a game of rifles and it should be that way.
I guarantee that when these gametypes are introduced no one will vote for ARs like for Halo3.
They could probably remove it since no one chose it for Halo 3 unless the other choice was like team duals.

Started playing legendary slayer. I sort of like it but I want to see what happens when I play opponents who have similar CSR than me.

It took a while looking for weapons without the ordnance marker above them. It’s a little strange.

I think LS or a classic playlist should have been there in the beginning.

Infinity Slayer should have been like Throwdown with radar and power up only PODs. Infinity needs better settings.

I’m for both as long as they are improved and have balanced settings. LS needs more variants and it will be great. So far its just a welcome addition thats came far too late.

Needs AR/Magnum starts, one grenade and take off the explosives armor mod and leave the resupply.

> I think LS or a classic playlist should have been there in the beginning.
>
> Infinity Slayer should have been like Throwdown with radar and power up only PODs. Infinity needs better settings.
>
> I’m for both as long as they are improved and have balanced settings. LS needs more variants and it will be great. So far its just a welcome addition thats came far too late.

I agree. A playlist like this should have been included at launch.

> JiP rules are different per playlist. Competitive playlists like Team Throwdown only allow JiP for “the first few moments” of a game, while most of the others allow JiP until half the game timer or half the game score is reached.
>
> It was all detailed in a Bulletin a while back, but I haven’t heard anything about what JiP rules Legendary Slayer uses.

From what I’ve experienced, it feels like Legendary slayer is maintaining that “First Few Moments” rule for it’s JIP. Honestly, that seems fair, but I just request that more people follow through with their matches. Losing or not, at least you know you saw it to the bitter end.