Legendary Bosses

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not purposely bypass the word filter.</mark>

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

How the -Yoink- do you calculate which team gets the kill for a legendary boss? Is it last person that deal damage? So fucken pissed having done so much work on a boss only to have it stolen.
also what’s the fucken calculation for if you get an assist on a boss when you’re fucken lucky enough to even be on the team that gets the kill.

The player who scores the last damaging shot (puts the boss to 0 health) gets the kill for themselves and their team. I’m not sure about the assist bonus but you are right about kill stealing. It is quite annoying however I don’t really mind it considering that I see myself as quite the boss stealing opportunist haha.

I can’t remember exactly which thread but someone did mention a good way in which boss kill points should be awarded. It involved teams being awarded a certain number of the available 150 points based on the percentage of damage they had dealt to the boss. So if Blue team had dealt approximately two thirds of the damage to the Boss, they would receive 100 of the available 150 points, regardless of which team scored the last kill.

343 has announced that there will be no change in the way boss kills are awarded.

While on one hand it is VERY annoying to have your team’s boss kill stolen after doing most of the work, changing the system would also create problems.

The big 2 ideas for revisions are to either: 1. Give the team who does the most damage all 150 VP or 2. Give a split of points amongst the teams based on damage dealt. Here are the issues.

Issues with 1: team who has the base nearby (especially on Ark) will win every time. It also eliminates potential for teams that are behind to have a shot at coming back, which is the big thing that 343 was concerned with. It changes warzone from being a game where anything can happen (Suddenly you can come all the way back to win!) to a much more straightforward game scoring wise. I mean, think about it. Most of the time you’re on the losing team and you manage a boss kill that brings you back up it’s pretty exciting. It’s likely that anytime you don’t have the central base and get a legendary boss kill that your team did less damage and therefore “stole” it.

Issues with 2: It would basically make legendary bosses irrelevant and slow the game pace tremendously. MOST of the time, both teams go for legendary bosses as best as they can. Much of the time the distribution of points would be nearly 50/50 with minor fluctuations. I don’t think I need to explain just how stupid it would be to let that be the case.

Even if you disagree, it has been announced that it is staying the way it is.

I would suggest making a slight mod to suggestion #1 (awarding based on damage percentage dealt).

That is, award the damage percentage dealt, but only as to the players that have dealt damage and are still standing when the boss is defeated. So that dying and respawning wipes the slate.

This would leave the bosses as primary targets, but would also encourage teams to target each other. Especially if a team is trying to make a comeback, then their primary targets should be the opposing team members prior to turning against the bosses.

That’s why you shouldn’t just be focused on the boss, but also the enemy Spartans trying to kill the boss, I learned that.

> 2533274925856059;5:
> That’s why you shouldn’t just be focused on the boss, but also the enemy Spartans trying to kill the boss, I learned that.

Right, but the current setup really just caters to players like me that wait and then swoop in at the last moment, sniping with a railgun. It’s cheap, but effective, and totally unfair.

They should really just take away the health bar of the bosses…
So you dont know when the boss is ready to steal the kill with a BR

And I cant come up with any negative effectd by removing the health bar…

Any thoughts?

> 2533274827089748;7:
> They should really just take away the health bar of the bosses…
> So you dont know when the boss is ready to steal the kill with a BR
>
> And I cant come up with any negative effectd by removing the health bar…
>
> Any thoughts?

That would be a great solution!

> 2533274894783242;6:
> > 2533274925856059;5:
> > That’s why you shouldn’t just be focused on the boss, but also the enemy Spartans trying to kill the boss, I learned that.
>
>
> Right, but the current setup really just caters to players like me that wait and then swoop in at the last moment, sniping with a railgun. It’s cheap, but effective, and totally unfair.

Haha i’ve done that so many times, Railgun FTW.

> 2533274827089748;7:
> They should really just take away the health bar of the bosses…
> So you dont know when the boss is ready to steal the kill with a BR
>
> And I cant come up with any negative effectd by removing the health bar…
>
> Any thoughts?

Yeah that is a great idea :slight_smile:

The way who gets credit should be tweaked, to ensure all of the participants in the team that gets the kill get credit. Other than that I think it is fine as is. The suggested solutions are problematic.

Always make sure there are no campers with a sniper or rocket launcher. I thought everyone knew that.

I read somewhere on the forums (kudos to him) that presented the idea of two health bars. One for each team. I like this idea. But then the boss might have too much health unless it was split. Then it wouldn’t feel like a challenge. And I think I just destroyed my own argument…

Kill steals usually happen with Legendary Bosses, happened to me so many times with Warden Eternal.

> 2533274869293242;12:
> I read somewhere on the forums (kudos to him) that presented the idea of two health bars. One for each team. I like this idea. But then the boss might have too much health unless it was split. Then it wouldn’t feel like a challenge. And I think I just destroyed my own argument…

I like this idea. The trick being that the boss dies if either energy bar is depleted.

Additionally, I would tweak it so that the energy bars are, at the time that the boss spawns, a function of each team’s point standing (Note, team wins by being the first to 1,000 points).
E.g. Red team is at 800 points and Blue team is at 550 when the boss spawns. The Energy bar that the Red team must deplete is 80%of the boss’s possible max health, and the blue team’s bar is at only 55%.

This will help to balance the odds of winning in the event that one team is more talented than the other team. I.e. it will help to mitigate 343’s inability to balance the teams at the outset of the matches.

Think of it like you would a MOBA. Their are neutral bosses in MOBAs that usually provide strong buffs, but your team has to get the last hit in. The Legendary Boss’s “buff” is a massive chunk of points. With the neutral bosses in MOBAs, you have to lock the area in which they appear down, which includes fending off attackers. Stealing the kill is a 100% acceptable strategy in those games, as it should be here.

> 2533274851326318;3:
> 343 has announced that there will be no change in the way boss kills are awarded.
>
> While on one hand it is VERY annoying to have your team’s boss kill stolen after doing most of the work, changing the system would also create problems.
>
> The big 2 ideas for revisions are to either: 1. Give the team who does the most damage all 150 VP or 2. Give a split of points amongst the teams based on damage dealt. Here are the issues.
>
> Issues with 1: team who has the base nearby (especially on Ark) will win every time. It also eliminates potential for teams that are behind to have a shot at coming back, which is the big thing that 343 was concerned with. It changes warzone from being a game where anything can happen (Suddenly you can come all the way back to win!) to a much more straightforward game scoring wise. I mean, think about it. Most of the time you’re on the losing team and you manage a boss kill that brings you back up it’s pretty exciting. It’s likely that anytime you don’t have the central base and get a legendary boss kill that your team did less damage and therefore “stole” it.
>
> Issues with 2: It would basically make legendary bosses irrelevant and slow the game pace tremendously. MOST of the time, both teams go for legendary bosses as best as they can. Much of the time the distribution of points would be nearly 50/50 with minor fluctuations. I don’t think I need to explain just how stupid it would be to let that be the case.
>
> Even if you disagree, it has been announced that it is staying the way it is.

Sums it up perfectly