Legendary Big Team Slayer

I’d like to run a test of a gametype, and map variant I’ve been working on, Legendary Big Team Slayer on Valhalla (Ragnarok). If anyone is interested, please comment below.

Here are the specs.

Legendary Big Team Slayer is virtually identical to Legendary Slayer save for three things:

Score Limit: 100
Time Limit: 15 minutes
Loadout Alpha Primary Weapon: Battle Rifle

Valhalla is a forged version of Ragnarok that has been adjusted to have a weapon and vehicle layout relatively similar to Halo 3’s Valhalla. Here is a changelog (after deleting everything from the map):

2 Battle Rifles added to Turret-side Man Cannon of each base.
2 Battle Rifles added to bottom floor of each base.
2 Battle Rifles added to center hill, one Turret Side, one Pelican Side.
1 Battle Rifle added at each central Man Cannon destination.
1 Battle Rifle added at each Turret-side Man Cannon destination.
1 Battle Rifle added inside each small cave.
1 AR added to the top of each base in place of SMG.
1 AR added in between Ocean Base and Hill in place of SMG.
1 Suppressor added to top of each base in place of Spiker.
1 Suppressor added to each Turret-side Man Cannon destination in place of Spiker.
2 Plasma Pistols added to bottom floor of each base, 45 second respawn.
4 Frag Nades added to center hill, two Turret Side, two Pelican Side.
2 Plasma Nades added to top of each base.
2 Plasma Nades added inside each small cave.
1 Spartan Laser added to middle hill, 180 second respawn.
1 Shotgun added inside each small cave, 120 second respawn.
1 Sticky Detonator added on top floor of each base in place of Missile Pod, 60 second respawn.
1 Sniper Rifle added to bottom floor of each base, 180 second respawn.
1 Concussion Rifle added near water cave in place of Brute Shot, 60 second respawn.
1 Machinegun Turret added at Middle Turret, 60 second respawn.
1 Banshee added to back of each base, 180 second respawn.
1 Warthog added to back turret-side of each base, 120 second respawn.
2 Mongooses added to top Pelican-side of each base.
1 Mongoose added to near middle turret.
1 Auto-Sentry Turret added to top floor of each base in place of Power Drain, 60 second respawn.
1 Hardlight Shield added near middle turret attached to Crate in place of Bubble Shield, 60 second respawn.
1 Regeneration Field added near Pelican in place of Regenerator, 60 second repawn.

It should be noted that the map does have some subtle differences due to some architectural changes to the map. For instance the bases’ ARs, Suppressors, and Plasma Nades don’t spawn on top of the wall because of how much taller the wall is than the original. As well, the AA’s are less noticeable on the ground than Equipment, and so have been moved to either eye level on a wall, or marked by a noticeable scenery object on the ground. Finally, as this was all done from memory. It is entirely possible I missed some Grenades,or less commonly used weapons around the map. I am certain I got most of it though.

I’d rather long range weapon starts instead of the BR

> I’d rather long range weapon starts instead of the BR

The BR was our starting weapon in Halo 2 and 3 for BTB, and Legendary Slayer is specifically designed to capture some of the charm of the original trilogy. As well, I personally feel that “Perfect” precision weapon starts are one of Halo’s main issues that started with Reach. BTB honestly suffers really badly over it, especially on maps like Valhalla and Blood Gulch.

Ragnarok plays nothing like Valhalla and the DMR is one of the two main reasons why. Because of the DMR and Active Camo specifically, Ragnarok quickly turns into a slow, painful game of “don’t poke your head out or you’re dead.”

As well, it could be noted that in Halo 4, the BR actually has a longer range than it did in Halo 3. Much longer in fact, due to Hitscan. And as recoil is controllable by the player, skill determines a lot more at ranges past the RR aim assist limit. While the DMR and LR have RR ranges far too long for a Halo game.

Personally I think that’s what currently ruins BTB. It promotes camping as no one has a reason to really move around the map with a mini sniper in their back pocket. BR starts would be much more refreshing and actually fits the classic theme :slight_smile:

On a side note the settings look great however I would push for 5 second spawns and a secondary as an Assault Rifle with Resupply and Explosives. Maybe you could also possibly make it compatible with a classic styled CTF gametype
-BR/AR starts with Resupply and Explosives
-10 second spawns
-First to 3 or 5
-possible removal of the Sniper, or less frequent drops (lack of descope ugh)

What he really means is he wants to spawn with a sniper & a dmr, with AC next to him as a respawn point

It should be Battle Rifle primary with Assault Rifle secondary; that’s how it was in Halo 3.

> > I’d rather long range weapon starts instead of the BR
>
> What he really means is he wants to spawn with a sniper & a dmr, with AC next to him as a respawn point

SNAP!

On-topic though? Sounds like fun. Would probably bring back a lot of memories, both good and bad ha ha.

> > I’d rather long range weapon starts instead of the BR
>
> What he really means is he wants to spawn with a sniper & a dmr, with AC next to him as a respawn point

No, I don’t, the DMR isn’t too bad after the update, I suck at sniping and I never use AC, I’m opposed to it even being an AA

> It should be Battle Rifle primary with Assault Rifle secondary; that’s how it was in Halo 3.

Well this isn’t Halo 3, it’s Halo 4, I could equally argue we should have DMR/Pistol starts as those were in Reach or AR/Magnum starts as those were in CE

> It should be Battle Rifle primary with Assault Rifle secondary; that’s how it was in Halo 3.

I considered that at first, then I realized that with 3 ARs, 4 Suppressors, 2 Plasma Pistols, 4 power vehicles, 5 power weapons, and 4 sub-power weapons on the map, ARs off spawn would be kind of redundant, since anyone who doesn’t just replace it with a Power Weapon or vehicle, would have so many Automatics already there to choose from. And the Suppressors would go almost completely ignored with AR secondaries. I’d kind of like players to feel incentive to pick Suppressors up if only so they have a backup to their BR, and the ARs in the bases are already gone.

The Spikers and SMGs on Valhalla already went almost completely unused because of AR starts. I’d rather not completely repeat that pattern.

I should note that everything I didn’t list a respawn timer for is set to default 30.

I am curious as to what everyone thinks of me replacing the Equipment map-spawning AA’s. Noone has mentioned it yet.

At the above comment, it was DMR/AR btw. And the DMR in Halo Reach had a significantly shorter red reticle range, rate of fire (due to bloom), and aim assist level than Halo 4’s. Which is another reason why I omitted it, Halo 4’s BR plays more like the Reach DMR than the DMR itself does. As well, AR/Magnum BTB would be a disaster. The only reason it worked in Halo CE was because Halo CE’s Magnum was a beast.

> I am curious as to what everyone thinks of me replacing the Equipment map-spawning AA’s. Noone has mentioned it yet.

Probably the same as everything else ha ha. It gives that sense of “classic” Halo. Whether they work or need tweaking (along with the gametype and map I might add), you’ll need people to test it. It’s a lot of unknowns right now.

Sounds good on paper. How it’s executed is a different matter entirely.

Well, like I said, I’d like to get a list of voluneers together to test it. Any takers? I’ll schedule a date/time once I have at least 10 names.

I made a Valhalla remake with a few differences, mainly the lack of AAs and the addition of the Wraith (I built the stock version of the map in customs).

I’d be willing to try yours once you get more people together. IMO AAs should have become map spawns like equipment.

I’d be down for it. It sounds like fun.