Leave your feedback on the username system here! (original question answered)

So we all know that when you sign up to Waypoint, your username is set to be the same as your current gamertag.

However, what happens when you change your GT? My username hasn’t changed with it… What happens then, if someone else makes an account with my old GT and tries to sign up? Will they be refused from the site until they have a different GT?

What measures have 343i put in place to prevent this happening? Why are our usernames not dynamic (change with our GamerTags)?

I might test this now and see what happens, but my original question still remains.

Why is it that my username hasn’t changed with my Gamertag?

Update: I have done a test, and found that if I make another account with my old GT (the one that I was using when I signed up on this site), it will not allow me to sign up. Here’s a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png

Good question.
I didn’t know about that issue.

bs angel will certainly see that. :wink:

the forum is still in beta. maybe they could add something to change your forum name.

sig ~ http://halo.xbox.com/forums/general/f/14/t/9385.aspx?PageIndex=1 support halo wars 2 by posting in this thread!

Send bs angel a message and I’m sure she’d be happy to help you with this issue. [:)]

Usernames are permanent I think unless they announce it to change with the new site update @HaloFest.

If you change your name and someone takes your old name and tries to sign up, they will be unable to.

> Usernames are permanent I think unless they announce it to change with the new site update @HaloFest.
>
> If you change your name and someone takes your old name and tries to sign up, they will be unable to.

Thanks.

However to a previous poster, regardless of what stage of production this website/forum is, this issue should have been picked up straight away. I am about to try and join Waypoint with an account with my old GT. Will let you know how it goes.

> > Usernames are permanent I think unless they announce it to change with the new site update @HaloFest.
> >
> > If you change your name and someone takes your old name and tries to sign up, they will be unable to.
>
> Thanks.
>
> However to a previous poster, regardless of what stage of production this website/forum is, this issue should have been picked up straight away. I am about to try and join Waypoint with an account with my old GT. Will let you know how it goes.

Before you go, I may have been wrong that they are denied sign-up, I think it randomly generates them a username.

However, I suppose this will be fixed when the site comes out of beta.

So I tried to join.

Here is a screenshot: [http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png

](http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png)So Moa, you were right. No random generated name. The system should have one of two things.

A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.

Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).

Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.

> So I tried to join.
>
> Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
>
>
So Moa, you were right. No random generated name. The system should have one of two things.
>
> A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
>
> Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
>
> Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.

Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic

What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:

> > So I tried to join.
> >
> > Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
> >
> >
So Moa, you were right. No random generated name. The system should have one of two things.
> >
> > A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> > B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
> >
> > Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
> >
> > Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.
>
> Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic
>
> What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:

Another great point! It shows that the only really good system is to be able to choose your own username, just like Bungie.net and basically any other forum site. Having a pre-defined username (especially when defined by a variable like a GT), isn’t the best way to go about it. Hopefully they switch to the other system. I guess the idea behind this system is to prevent people making so many alternate accounts.

This is the kind of feedback that 343 should be hearing about their site (especially in the BETA stage), but there is no feedback forum, is there?

You PM him, because I have no idea how to do it! :\ lol. I haven’t used this site since I registered basically haha.

> > > So I tried to join.
> > >
> > > Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> > > B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
> > >
> > > Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
> > >
> > > Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.
> >
> > Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic
> >
> > What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:
>
> Another great point! It shows that the only really good system is to be able to choose your own username, just like Bungie.net and basically any other forum site. Having a pre-defined username (especially when defined by a variable like a GT), isn’t the best way to go about it. Hopefully they switch to the other system. I guess the idea behind this system is to prevent people making so many alternate accounts.
>
> This is the kind of feedback that 343 should be hearing about their site (especially in the BETA stage), but there is no feedback forum, is there?
>
> You PM him, because I have no idea how to do it! :\ lol. I haven’t used this site since I registered basically haha.

I am hoping it can be changed, as of now, I lost all my nameplates on my old account but changing your e-mail linked to your new Xbox LIVE Account can get them back on your new account, if it works, I will be stuck on the forums as XbL Shutdown for ever, if it doesn’t work, I am stuck as XbL Shutdown for a month.

Regardless these things need to be addressed when the Forums come out of beta stages.

PS: bs angel is a girl :wink:

The whole website seems to be in beta

> > > > So I tried to join.
> > > >
> > > > Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> > > > B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
> > > >
> > > > Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
> > > >
> > > > Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.
> > >
> > > Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic
> > >
> > > What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:
> >
> > Another great point! It shows that the only really good system is to be able to choose your own username, just like Bungie.net and basically any other forum site. Having a pre-defined username (especially when defined by a variable like a GT), isn’t the best way to go about it. Hopefully they switch to the other system. I guess the idea behind this system is to prevent people making so many alternate accounts.
> >
> > This is the kind of feedback that 343 should be hearing about their site (especially in the BETA stage), but there is no feedback forum, is there?
> >
> > You PM him, because I have no idea how to do it! :\ lol. I haven’t used this site since I registered basically haha.
>
> I am hoping it can be changed, as of now, I lost all my nameplates on my old account but changing your e-mail linked to your new Xbox LIVE Account can get them back on your new account, if it works, I will be stuck on the forums as XbL Shutdown for ever, if it doesn’t work, I am stuck as XbL Shutdown for a month.
>
> Regardless these things need to be addressed when the Forums come out of beta stages.
>
> PS: bs angel is a girl :wink:

Hahaha oops! :S Shows how much I use the site lol.

Hopefully they will address these issues. It’s probably just an easy way for them to have the signup system while in BETA stage. We’ll see what they come up with when they go into full release.

> The whole website seems to be in beta

Yeah but I suppose a topic like this hasn’t been done to address the problems with the username system, I highly doubt they would block out users from joining because of the bug said earlier on, even in beta.

Plus the fact if they did make it dynamic, I discovered another problem.

Long story short, they should give us the option to change out name, once, just so we can match it with our Gamertags and such.

> > > So I tried to join.
> > >
> > > Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> > > B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
> > >
> > > Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
> > >
> > > Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.
> >
> > Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic
> >
> > What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:
>
> Another great point! It shows that the only really good system is to be able to choose your own username, just like Bungie.net and basically any other forum site. Having a pre-defined username (especially when defined by a variable like a GT), isn’t the best way to go about it. Hopefully they switch to the other system. I guess the idea behind this system is to prevent people making so many alternate accounts.
>
> This is the kind of feedback that 343 should be hearing about their site (especially in the BETA stage), but there is no feedback forum, is there?
>
> You PM him, because I have no idea how to do it! :\ lol. I haven’t used this site since I registered basically haha.

I’d prefer if they kept it so it is pre-defined by gamertag. It works better IMO so you know the gamertag of a person just by looking at their username, and it would be a little silly to change it all of the sudden so you can change it to whatever you want because then the people with ones linked to gamertags would have to create a new gamertag, WLID and such just to get a new name of their own choice, and nobody would know who anyone was for a while. So long as they make it so you still have access to the account whether you change your gamertag or the WLID associated with it, and the actual gamertag is listed below the original username, I see no issue with the current system.

> > > > So I tried to join.
> > > >
> > > > Here is a screenshot: http://gyazo.com/7948c7c0c63f902fc39e73c6414dedde.png
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > A) Allow users to set their own usernames.
> > > > B) Make the username dynamic, to change with any GamerTag changes.
> > > >
> > > > Another glitch I just found, is that after pasting a link in, it will start using a hyperlink typeface when you’re typing the next part of your post. The only way to fix that, is to paste the link in last (wherever you wanted it to be, just last).
> > > >
> > > > Anyway, I guess that answers my question. Interesting that that wasn’t recognised before the site was live.
> > >
> > > Hmmm I may have to PM bs angel about this and in fact I have a question if they made it dynamic
> > >
> > > What happens for example if I changed the e-mail linked to my Xbox LIVE Account and I tried logging in to the Waypoint Forums, if it did change to my gamertag, then this account’s name would need to be changed automatically or else I couldn’t log in :open_mouth:
> >
> > Another great point! It shows that the only really good system is to be able to choose your own username, just like Bungie.net and basically any other forum site. Having a pre-defined username (especially when defined by a variable like a GT), isn’t the best way to go about it. Hopefully they switch to the other system. I guess the idea behind this system is to prevent people making so many alternate accounts.
> >
> > This is the kind of feedback that 343 should be hearing about their site (especially in the BETA stage), but there is no feedback forum, is there?
> >
> > You PM him, because I have no idea how to do it! :\ lol. I haven’t used this site since I registered basically haha.
>
> I’d prefer if they kept it so it is pre-defined by gamertag. It works better IMO so you know the gamertag of a person just by looking at their username, and it would be a little silly to change it all of the sudden so you can change it to whatever you want because then the people with ones linked to gamertags would have to create a new gamertag, WLID and such just to get a new name of their own choice, and nobody would know who anyone was for a while. So long as they make it so you still have access to the account whether you change your gamertag or the WLID associated with it, and the actual gamertag is listed below the original username, I see no issue with the current system.

See though, It should be pretty easy for them to make it dynamic because they have access the microsoft servers and can have it update the information on their server ends without having to jump through alot of hoops