Lead Creative Director Leaves 343, Sept 2011

This is from sept 2011…

When the lead creative director left because he didn’t like the direction the game was headed…

Very interesting indeed. It seems as though the writing was on the wall a long time ago. I wish I read this article before getting Halo 4. If only every developer had this man’s philosophy; “This game is going to be bad, I don’t want to be a part of making a bad game”. That’s brilliant.

> Very interesting indeed. It seems as though the writing was on the wall a long time ago. I wish I read this article before getting Halo 4. If only every developer had this man’s philosophy; “This game is going to be bad, I don’t want to be a part of making a bad game”. That’s brilliant.

But he didn’t have that philosophy. According to the article, he had suffered through a depression and needed a change. While this is a good life decision, it doesn’t mean that he thought “This game is going to be bad, I don’t want to be part of making a bad game”.

He simply felt that the direction the game was going in was in disagreement with the direction he wanted it to go. So, he decided to leave and start building a game that used his ideas and concepts. There’s more than one way to make a good video game. Just because two ideas aren’t the same, doesn’t mean one is necessarily better or worse than the other.

He took his talents to Turtle Beach.

Right… cause it had nothing to do with the fact that he seemed like a depressed little turd. Or the fact that it seemed like he wanted to completely “revolutionize” (change entirely) the game from anything that remotely resembled halo. …He left because 343 was protecting the spirit of the halo franchise that you claim to appreciate so much, and not letting him change it entirely to what HE thought it should be. He never even worked on a halo game before, he was famous for MGS for God’s sakes. He probably wanted master chief to be fighting the Didact under a cardboard box. Get your facts straight before insulting people that work their -Yoink- off to try to please you. And if your gonna insult someone, at least just come out and say it instead of putting these subtle little quips. Plus …Sept. 2011…really???

> When the lead creative director left because he didn’t like the direction the game was headed…

It means he just didn’t like the direction it was headed. It’s not a sign of absolute DOOM it just means he wanted to build something different.

Personally after looking at his previous stuff, maybe that’s for the best. MGS4 wasn’t all that hot of a game.

And he was a Narrative Designer, not the Creative Director. Don’t know why so many of these news articles don’t even do proper research.