Laws of Robotics

I’m curious as to how AI’s can become more than their coding.

In the Expanded Universe story, Midnight in the Heart of Midlothian, written by none other than Frankie, establishes that one of the primary aspects of an AI’s coding is Asimov’s First Law of Robotics. That, AI can’t through action or inaction, allow a human to come to harm. This doesn’t seem to be the case for Halo 5

In Halo 5, we see Cortana blatantly disregard this Law while summoning the Guardians. On Meridian we can see that people get killed because of it, not to mention that Cortana’s indirect action of activating the Guardians launches the Promethean who also end up killing humans, another breach of the law.

Now, it’s obviously a possibility that Cortana, upon touching the Domain became magically healed from Rampancy, but does that mean that she can alter her coding to remove/alter those fundamental laws?

Let’s not forget that if she didn’t modify her coding, then either she would have logically thought it out as her doing humanity a favour (which is really the plot twist of Will Smith’s classic I, Robot where the AI decides that for Mankind’s survival it must be incapacitated.)

This is not a feature which is shared by the Forerunner AI, and if you look through the EU stuff on it, this is one of the reasons that Mendicant Bias was able to do what he did, because he could rationalize it without such a logic barrier in place.

Looking for some answers, so 343i, let me know what the official take on this is.