Lack of understanding is making me speechless

There are two things I’m sorely missing in this so called ‘Halo community’ right now:

• basic understanding of games development
  • minimum amount of respect towards 343i

There is nothing wrong with expressing oneself or criticizing in an adult, constructive way. But the staggering amount of false accusations and hyperbole is simply mind-boggling.

• “Damn 343i why don’t you listen to your community – another linear campaign experience?!?!” (aka ‘horrible E3 campaign presentation’)
    We have countless statements from Frankie and others stating that what 343i showed at E3 was not representative of the overall campaign – just a short fraction of a mission tailored towards showing the characters, the setting and the squad system (co-op elements) all without giving too much of the game away.
    If you watch the recent The Sprint episodes you get a pretty good understanding of the thought process and planning in the run-up to E3 (that mission might look totally different in the actual game).
    What many fans forget is that we basically knew most of that (the two Spartan teams, the squad-commands, reviving,…) long before E3 – but millions of people who watched the conference didn’t. Preparing an E3 presentation is quite a challenge (see The Sprint) if your game is still in the middle of production – there is only so much you can squeeze into a small presentation.
    But I know (of course!) the people at 343i cannot be trusted! If you don’t trust them just read the hands on impressions from the people who played the second level of the campaign themselves (again, just the intro of that mission, introducing Blue Team). Even in this tiny gameplay segment there were different routes to choose from. Whether or not 343i’s at E3 choice was a clever one is up to debate – but some people just like to add fuel to the fire, completely ignoring the context of the presentation (look at other highly scripted presentations from other AAA developers) and the additional information we got both directly from 343i and from testers.
    I’m not saying that there is no reason to be skeptical at all – exaggeration and crazy negativity just isn’t helpful at all if there are still lots of possibilities to present the game (next one: Games Convention).

• “Microtransactions in Halo?! Damn, I hate you 343i!”
    It’s really really telling that ‘free maps’ didn’t generate half as much buzz as did that scaremongering.
    Everything has a price. And if anyone had the illusion that MS is a charity there is nothing I can say or do to help you. The only other explanation is that some gamers seem to think that MS/343i owes us which perfectly fits the predominant attitude of ‘If we cry loud enough we get what we want!’.
    Just hear me out: What 343i did was the right choice in every way imaginable. DLC separated the community and charging for cosmetics and some special items in a separate mode is a clever way to offer lots of content for free.
    Is there nothing that could be potentially harmful? Of course the implementation has to observed carefully – but as long as the game allows you to unlock everything just by playing (and that with a fair amount of effort/time) I’m all for it. Seriously, some people act like children. I’m skeptical of micro transactions in games too, but I also understand that the costs of development have exploded over the years. Halo traditionally offers huge amounts of content for relatively few money. So am I mad? No, I applaud 343i for the decision. Some of that micro transaction money will even go directly into 343i’s esports plans (tournaments,…).
    Should we be watchful? Yes, I’m all for it.
    But that’s about it.
    Note: What I’m really hoping for is this: Now that revenue isn’t tied to map sales anymore 343i could empower the community with a much more capable Forge / map creation tool.

• “No Elites?!?! Damn 343i, I hate you even more!”
    Seriously, I understand the love for Elites but all within reason. For all the people who care about that it’s of course disappointing that there won’t be playable Elites. 343i could have thrown you a bone in social Arena playlists (if there even is such a thing) – but for ranked Arena and equal starts I understand the need for consistent Spartan models. Warzone? With AI controlled Elites the costs (risk of confusion) would simply outweigh the benefits. For all people who envisioned another form of big MP mode (e.g. UNSC vs. Covenant) – that could have been nice too. But Warzone is what we get and looks really interesting for what it is.

• “No Firefight?! No Spartan Ops?! 343i, a contract killer is on his way!”
    Just because another mode was in a previous Halos doesn’t automatically mean that it must be in the next one. 343i has limited time/resources and their own vision where to invest (there is MCC and BC for all people with a special need).
    The main (and real!) question is: Does H5 have enough content for people who don’t want to play PvP?
    The truth is: We don’t know yet. Just keep in mind that H5’s campaign was designed with co-op in mind (which H4 clearly wasn’t). It all depends on the longevity / replay value of the campaign – and if there are other offers we don’t know about yet. As AI works in Warzone already there is at least a possibility that we can play around with that in Forge.After watching the latest episodes of The Sprint I really can’t understand how a community can tore it’s own franchise apart in that ugly way. H5’s campaign offers Blue Team (and Buck!), a thrilling setting and – most likely – the biggest battles in Halo to date. I can’t wait to play a Halo game that was designed from the bottom up with co-op in mind (actually having a real challenge even with 4 players!). We have an awesome competitive Arena mode that will correct many of the wrongdoings of H4 while offering new challenges at the same time. We have Warzone which looks like crazy fun even for people who aren’t into hardcore competitive modes (lots of items to unlock – stream of new content planned). All of that with lots of free maps on the way. And we havn’t even heard about the new Forge, which will get it’s own special unveiling I’m sure! With the MCC in an acceptable state, BC for Halo Reach – and that huge H5 package on it’s way there couldn’t be a better time to be a Halo fan.

You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.

It really isn’t that ugly.

> 2533274867600436;2:
> You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.
>
> It really isn’t that ugly.

Smh, where the hell are you spending your free time? Hate towards 343 is all over Halo Waypoint. People hating on 343 for not bending over backwards for them has ruined the community’s image. I remember when fans praised Halo and had very little complaints. Now because they don’t get what they want, they cry about it like four year olds

Don’t forget “343i aren’t putting these features in for no other reason other than they’re lazy”

> 2533274881937413;3:
> > 2533274867600436;2:
> > You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.
> >
> > It really isn’t that ugly.
>
>
> Smh, where the hell are you spending your free time? Hate towards 343 is all over Halo Waypoint

It’s not unjustified. People have spent years growing up playing halo. It’s natural that they are naturally invested like that.

Still no excuse for elites. Social playlists don’t need to be super balanced, and in warzone you just shoot the color that is not your own. No confusion.

> 2533274859801720;5:
> > 2533274881937413;3:
> > > 2533274867600436;2:
> > > You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.
> > >
> > > It really isn’t that ugly.
> >
> >
> > Smh, where the hell are you spending your free time? Hate towards 343 is all over Halo Waypoint
>
>
> It’s not unjustified. People have spent years growing up playing halo. It’s natural that they are naturally invested like that.

Oh no buddy. Some of it isn’t. Some of it isn’t…

> 2533274881937413;3:
> > 2533274867600436;2:
> > You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.
> >
> > It really isn’t that ugly.
>
>
> Smh, where the hell are you spending your free time? Hate towards 343 is all over Halo Waypoint. People hating on 343 for not bending over backwards for them has ruined the community’s image. I remember when fans praised Halo and had very little complaints. Now because they don’t get what they want, they cry about it like four year olds

I spend my free time having fun on my xbox and I check the forums hourly but I have seen some immature complaints and blatant whining and complaining BUT I have ALSO seen people kicking and screaming back saying to just be grateful for what we have and that nothing we want matters because 343 is great. I have seen some battleground threads but I’ve seen a majority of constructive threads that I continue to admire and view. If you actually look at this thread its already off to a bad start, you guys aren’t really conveying a tone of “let’s talk it out.” It’s more of a tone of, “Say anything about elites and I will kill your dog.”

@trueblue
This is the first time I’ve been most edited for the campaign out of the whole game. Usually it’s MM or forge. 343 are ticking all the right boxes for me in terms of the campaign so far.
MM is going in a direction which I’m not so excited for.

Micro transactions I’m OK with so long as it doesn’t interfere with the game too much. I was one of the people that campaigned to 343 for free dlc, I recognise that they need to make money. Dlc is not the answer, maybe micro transactions is.

No elites or no firefight? There is NO EXCUSE for them not being in. Elites more so then firefight.

> 2533274859801720;9:
> @trueblue
> This is the first time I’ve been most edited for the campaign out of the whole game. Usually it’s MM or forge. 343 are ticking all the right boxes for me in terms of the campaign so far.
> MM is going in a direction which I’m not so excited for.
>
> Micro transactions I’m OK with so long as it doesn’t interfere with the game too much. I was one of the people that campaigned to 343 for free dlc, I recognise that they need to make money. Dlc is not the answer, maybe micro transactions is.
>
> No elites or no firefight? There is NO EXCUSE for them not being in. Elites more so then firefight.

Whether there’s no excuse or not, unfortunately it’s not our decision. It’s theirs

> 2533274898131165;6:
> Still no excuse for elites. Social playlists don’t need to be super balanced, and in warzone you just shoot the color that is not your own. No confusion.

I’ve said the same thing about social playlists too.
But come on - no potential confusion in Warzone?

It’s not as simple as that.

Color helps of course but at longer distances the shape of models are at least ad if not more important.

Oh boy…more 343 hating extremists…

This really isn’t a necessary thread.

> 2533274859413227;12:
> Oh boy…more 343 hating extremists…
>
> This really isn’t a necessary thread.

I feel like it’s become a political party now aha

I think the hate is a small section of the community. It seems like the same people always posting negative comments. The other day I made a thread that was positive, which asked about cloud usage in Halo 5 (and not only dedicated servers to host matches). Josh Holmes answered but my thread was immediately washed away by countless hate threads. I find they are coming from the same people, which is a minority but very very vocal. Also Waypoint does not represent the entire Halo community. We shouldnt be worried. Halo 5 is gonna be a huge seller. Some people will hate regardless of how amazing it may be and will love regardless of how bad it may be.

Gamers are spoiled today. We want the games to be fun, have real life graphics, have countless playlists with zero lag, and we also want the game to cook us dinner. So it is the inevitable that people will hate even when they have only seen a scripted demo and a tiny bit of warzone, while not even touching a controller to play Halo 5. I wouldnt worry OP. It is good to voice your love for Halo and constructive criticisms.

> 2533274867600436;8:
> > 2533274881937413;3:
> > > 2533274867600436;2:
> > > You only seem to look at the destructive part of the community. I don’t see any of this being stated in the forums, maybe a couple destructive threads like “Should Halo just die?” Earlier today but if this is what you seem, maybe its a projection of what you want the community to look like.
> > >
> > > It really isn’t that ugly.
> >
> >
> > Smh, where the hell are you spending your free time? Hate towards 343 is all over Halo Waypoint. People hating on 343 for not bending over backwards for them has ruined the community’s image. I remember when fans praised Halo and had very little complaints. Now because they don’t get what they want, they cry about it like four year olds
>
>
> I spend my free time having fun on my xbox and I check the forums hourly but I have seen some immature complaints and blatant whining and complaining BUT I have ALSO seen people kicking and screaming back saying to just be grateful for what we have and that nothing we want matters because 343 is great. I have seen some battleground threads but I’ve seen a majority of constructive threads that I continue to admire and view. If you actually look at this thread its already off to a bad start, you guys aren’t really conveying a tone of “let’s talk it out.” It’s more of a tone of, “Say anything about elites and I will kill your dog.”

This thread is not meant to attack people who are disappointed because of reason X.

I will probably never really understand why it’s so important to play as an Elite. But I respect people who feel differently.

All I’m trying to say is: People don’t throw out the baby with the bathwater.
Watch those The Sprint episodes.

Everything that looks like nothing to us is a lot of hard work for the team.

Modeling Elites to fit into MP is a huge undertaking.
Equal fair hitzones (can’t copy paste AI models).
Making all that Spartan abilities work (Ground pound, Charge, Slide, Boost,…) both visually, in terms of animation and lore.
Designing a fitting HUD.

The more complex your system the more bugs.

I think some people have no clue what that would mean in terms of actual work-load.

It seems to me that about 75% of the threads created are to over exaggerate something with the purpose to cause controversy just for the sake of, well, causing controversy.

> 2678703528375484;16:
> It seems to me that about 75% of the threads created are just to over exaggerate something with the purpose to cause controversy for the sake of, well, cause controversy.

People seem to be overly emotional in discussion boards.

I love Halo from the bottom of my heart too - really asking myself why I don’t freak out because of some missing features I care about.

Possible answer: I tend to look at what’s there and not at what is missing.

No campaign split-screen? Loved to play that.
Oh well, dedicated servers for co-op, campaign designed with co-op in mind, 60 fps.

I understand that splt-screen is a dying feature in the whole industry.

> 2678703528375484;16:
> It seems to me that about 75% of the threads created are to over exaggerate something with the purpose to cause controversy just for the sake of, well, causing controversy.

A lot of them are also because many people just don’t read before posting. Taking a few minutes to scan down the latest threads in the forums would save half of these threads from being created, but that’s a problem everywhere you go and has been for years. I used to moderate a very large forum years ago, was the same thing back then as it is now :frowning:

> 2678703528375484;16:
> It seems to me that about 75% of the threads created are to over exaggerate something with the purpose to cause controversy just for the sake of, well, causing controversy.

Sometimes I feel the same.

I agree Op but sadly there isn’t a way to please everybody and the Internet tends to be a hostile environment in general.