Lack of Blood Effects and Flat Lighting

After seeing today’s gameplay reveal I’m a lot more excited for the game than I was before. However, I think they really missed the mark with how the blood effects function. If you’re going to make the game rated M (PEGI 18+) why not have the blood actually stick to surfaces? What’s the benefit in having the blood just disappear after shooting something? It looks terrible. The older Halo games did this for performance reasons AFAIK, but with the power of a new console one would expect that they could effectively render something as simple as blood effects.

The other big thing that I think is contributing a lot to the negative reception of the graphical art style is the flat lighting. There is a distinct lack of shadows and darker tones to contrast the bright lighting of the map that leads to incredibly flat lighting. I think this is particularly noticeable on enemy models and forerunner structures. The flat lighting makes the forerunner structures look very simple and blocky, whereas even in Halo CE there are subtle engravings in the forerunner structures that give the textures a lot of depth. Likewise, as others have mentioned, adding some dust, grime, and debris throughout these structures would go a long way towards giving these environments more character and that sort of ‘lived in’ feeling.

None of these issues are game breaking, but I think implementing these relatively small visual changes would go a long way towards improving Halo Infinite’s visual presentation. Hopefully enough people raise a fuss about this for 343’s dev team to implement these changes before the game launches.

Very true, Just doesn’t look believable or serious. Hopefully these will be fixed before release.

Really hoping that both are just because it isn’t finished. Really hoping that blood splatters come back with the amount of blood that comes out of enemies in the trailer. it just doesn’t look right to not have it.

This game will be rated T, mark my words. The blood coming from the bullet impact with no blood splatters anywhere on the ground confirmed it to me. But maybe the Flood are in this game and they can take this to an M rating.

> 2533274921838152;4:
> This game will be rated T, mark my words. The blood coming from the bullet impact with no blood splatters anywhere on the ground confirmed it to me. But maybe the Flood are in this game and they can take this to an M rating.

> 2533274921838152;4:
> This game will be rated T, mark my words. The blood coming from the bullet impact with no blood splatters anywhere on the ground confirmed it to me. But maybe the Flood are in this game and they can take this to an M rating.

that’s the thing I don’t get though, it’s still blood. I don’t actually know if there’s a distinction in the ESRB. Halo 5 had blood stains and was T, and the rating posted on the Microsoft store only says Violence (Of course, but there still is blood, so why wouldn’t it be rated as such)

If I recall at the start of the demo video there isn’t an official ESRB rating yet, right?

My guess is when they made the switch from M to T with H5, that was a permanent decision by 343 for all games going forward. I’ll be the first to say I am not familiar with the nuances of what a shooter needs today go from T to M (e.g., what’s the threshold for M? Is it well below the Gears level of gore?). Would CE even be rated M if it was released today given shift in ratings standards? I suppose the Flood with today’s tech capabilities would be a lot more “graphic” so maybe the M would still be warranted.