K/D & Halo 5

So I’ve been playing Halo a looong time now. Started on the original, hooking up network games in college either with GameSpy, or the good old fashioned route of taking your Xbox and your squad to the enemy dorm room.

I’ve owned and played hard on every title that’s been released and I’ve always been a 1.4-1.5 K/D guy until Halo 5. Early days I was 1.4 but now I’m a 1.0 kinda dude and this does not please me.

Could well just be that I’m getting old, but has anyone else found this?

Halo 5 plays a little differently compared to the other entries, so you’ll have to change up your playstyle a bit.

> 2574155679902465;1:
> So I’ve been playing Halo a looong time now. Started on the original, hooking up network games in college either with GameSpy, or the good old fashioned route of taking your Xbox and your squad to the enemy dorm room.
>
> I’ve owned and played hard on every title that’s been released and I’ve always been a 1.4-1.5 K/D guy until Halo 5. Early days I was 1.4 but now I’m a 1.0 kinda dude and this does not please me.
>
> Could well just be that I’m getting old, but has anyone else found this?

I don’t feel like I play nearly as well as I used to either. My k/d is a little lower than it used to be but I generally play solo and in Halo 5 the solo experience is pretty hit or miss. To be fair playing solo has always been kind of like that but it seems like there are more smurfs (or just alt accounts) these days and the matchmaking feels looser to me. Age probably has a lot to do with it; I’m only 35 but over the course of life I’ve broken fingers and busted my hands up a few times so my finger dexterity has suffered. I’m sure my reaction time isn’t what was in my 20s either.
It may seem obvious but playing smarter is really what saves me from sliding too far down k/d scale. I place a higher priority on staying alive than getting the kill in slayer modes unless I find myself easily winning 1v1s then I might main slay. I always push for power weapons and power-ups and try to stay with a teammate as often as possible. In my case it just comes down to being less reckless and not being stupid aggressive on every spawn, sprinting angrily to another death.

> 2533274804649077;3:
> > 2574155679902465;1:
> > So I’ve been playing Halo a looong time now. Started on the original, hooking up network games in college either with GameSpy, or the good old fashioned route of taking your Xbox and your squad to the enemy dorm room.
> >
> > I’ve owned and played hard on every title that’s been released and I’ve always been a 1.4-1.5 K/D guy until Halo 5. Early days I was 1.4 but now I’m a 1.0 kinda dude and this does not please me.
> >
> > Could well just be that I’m getting old, but has anyone else found this?
>
> I don’t feel like I play nearly as well as I used to either. My k/d is a little lower than it used to be but I generally play solo and in Halo 5 the solo experience is pretty hit or miss. To be fair playing solo has always been kind of like that but it seems like there are more smurfs (or just alt accounts) these days and the matchmaking feels looser to me. Age probably has a lot to do with it; I’m only 35 but over the course of life I’ve broken fingers and busted my hands up a few times so my finger dexterity has suffered. I’m sure my reaction time isn’t what was in my 20s either.
> It may seem obvious but playing smarter is really what saves me from sliding too far down k/d scale. I place a higher priority on staying alive than getting the kill in slayer modes unless I find myself easily winning 1v1s then I might main slay. I always push for power weapons and power-ups and try to stay with a teammate as often as possible. In my case it just comes down to being less reckless and not being stupid aggressive on every spawn, sprinting angrily to another death.

Yeah, I’m 36 so I hear you on the mileage point. But on the play style, my style has always been reckless, but I’ve always been able to pull that at 1.4. I charge in first lone wolf style, so I’ll never get 2.0+, but I’m still pretty accurate with the weapons, however I’ve been far less success amending my style to Halo 5 than to previous games. If I was smarter I’d be more concerned with staying alive, but that way old age lies :slight_smile:

> 2535429593088083;2:
> Halo 5 plays a little differently compared to the other entries, so you’ll have to change up your playstyle a bit.

You’re right, but each Halo has played different to the last and I’ve always been adaptable, until now…

I’ve been around awhile, and I’ve noticed the same thing OP. I have to say, some of it is probably us getting older. However, I think b/c Halo has lost a lot of fans / player base, there are simply less casual players running around.

The people that still play Halo have REALLY stuck with Halo. People don’t get online just for something to do, too many other options. It’s mostly the people that really strive to get better at Halo.

> 2533274804898926;6:
> I’ve been around awhile, and I’ve noticed the same thing OP. I have to say, some of it is probably us getting older. However, I think b/c Halo has lost a lot of fans / player base, there are simply less casual players running around.
>
> The people that still play Halo have REALLY stuck with Halo. People don’t get online just for something to do, too many other options. It’s mostly the people that really strive to get better at Halo.

I hear you. I did put in more time than I’d probably admit at a party. And Halo has always been my only game - my trade off for time spent was to at least spend it playing only one game.
I had noticed that Halo 5 seemed less friendly to the casual player though. Getting smoked unless you’re a pro was not fun. Bought Destiny a few months ago. Literally the first time a non-Halo game had been in my Xbox One.

> 2574155679902465;7:
> > 2533274804898926;6:
> > I’ve been around awhile, and I’ve noticed the same thing OP. I have to say, some of it is probably us getting older. However, I think b/c Halo has lost a lot of fans / player base, there are simply less casual players running around.
> >
> > The people that still play Halo have REALLY stuck with Halo. People don’t get online just for something to do, too many other options. It’s mostly the people that really strive to get better at Halo.
>
> I hear you. I did put in more time than I’d probably admit at a party. And Halo has always been my only game - my trade off for time spent was to at least spend it playing only one game.
> I had noticed that Halo 5 seemed less friendly to the casual player though. Getting smoked unless you’re a pro was not fun. Bought Destiny a few months ago. Literally the first time a non-Halo game had been in my Xbox One.

Yeah, I think most casual players get smoked and just say ‘next game’ these days.

I’ve noticed a similar trend for me. Used to play other games (PS4, Steam, Xbox One) but with less time in life, it basically all goes to Halo 5. Still not enough to ‘get good’ though, lol

I will say, I love how Halo 5 plays / feels. As a major fan of all, it might arguably have my favorite gameplay in MM (Love H3 too).

> 2533274804898926;8:
> > 2574155679902465;7:
> > > 2533274804898926;6:
> > > I’ve been around awhile, and I’ve noticed the same thing OP. I have to say, some of it is probably us getting older. However, I think b/c Halo has lost a lot of fans / player base, there are simply less casual players running around.
> > >
> > > The people that still play Halo have REALLY stuck with Halo. People don’t get online just for something to do, too many other options. It’s mostly the people that really strive to get better at Halo.
> >
> > I hear you. I did put in more time than I’d probably admit at a party. And Halo has always been my only game - my trade off for time spent was to at least spend it playing only one game.
> > I had noticed that Halo 5 seemed less friendly to the casual player though. Getting smoked unless you’re a pro was not fun. Bought Destiny a few months ago. Literally the first time a non-Halo game had been in my Xbox One.
>
> Yeah, I think most casual players get smoked and just say ‘next game’ these days.
>
> I’ve noticed a similar trend for me. Used to play other games (PS4, Steam, Xbox One) but with less time in life, it basically all goes to Halo 5. Still not enough to ‘get good’ though, lol
>
> I will say, I love how Halo 5 plays / feels. As a major fan of all, it might arguably have my favorite gameplay in MM (Love H3 too).

Agreed, it’s a beautiful game. I put in a lot of hours before I moved over to Destiny, but it started to be a bit too hit or miss as to whether or not I enjoyed the game. I just can’t pull a squad of 12 guys at this stage of life.

> 2574155679902465;1:
> So I’ve been playing Halo a looong time now. Started on the original, hooking up network games in college either with GameSpy, or the good old fashioned route of taking your Xbox and your squad to the enemy dorm room.
>
> I’ve owned and played hard on every title that’s been released and I’ve always been a 1.4-1.5 K/D guy until Halo 5. Early days I was 1.4 but now I’m a 1.0 kinda dude and this does not please me.
>
> Could well just be that I’m getting old, but has anyone else found this?

I am having the same problem. I’m a 1.070

Haven’t noticed it. I’d say I’m actually better now than I was in the early H5 days.

Next time you log into Halo take a moment to notice the picture of the latest winning team from the latest tournament. They’re children. Some of them are still waiting for their voices to crack. The average age of gamers is high if you only look at console ownership or game sales by title, but if you look at time-spent-playing then the average age of gamers is still in the low teens just as it was thirty years ago. They’re the ones who have the time to waste. And these are the fearless, fast-of-reflex gaming animals that elderly players like us simply cannot beat. Add in to the equation a game which is built exclusively around reflexes - so much so that fast players can survive stupid strategic mistakes by just out-shooting everyone else - and what you have is a skill gap that objectively favors youth and punishes age. Just like any other sport.

It wouldn’t be so much of a problem if skill assessment in this game was accurate and if matchmaking used that data appropriately, but neither of those things is being executed to the highest possible standard and legacy players will feel the effects first. Getting old sucks.

My k/d has dropped from the h1-3 days. It’s do to the quick getaway abilities and then getting blindsided from another getaway person randomly running into you. I miss the old days but… my k/d still reigns over most.

> 2533274873843883;12:
> Next time you log into Halo take a moment to notice the picture of the latest winning team from the latest tournament. They’re children. Some of them are still waiting for their voices to crack. The average age of gamers is high if you only look at console ownership or game sales by title, but if you look at time-spent-playing then the average age of gamers is still in the low teens just as it was thirty years ago. They’re the ones who have the time to waste. And these are the fearless, fast-of-reflex gaming animals that elderly players like us simply cannot beat. Add in to the equation a game which is built exclusively around reflexes - so much so that fast players can survive stupid strategic mistakes by just out-shooting everyone else - and what you have is a skill gap that objectively favors youth and punishes age. Just like any other sport.
>
> It wouldn’t be so much of a problem if skill assessment in this game was accurate and if matchmaking used that data appropriately, but neither of those things is being executed to the highest possible standard and legacy players will feel the effects first. Getting old sucks.

“Elderly players”. As funny as it is true. Strange how I’d considered all of this except reflexes. Never felt my reflexes slow, but I guess you never do.

It definitely moves differently then previous Halos and it takes some getting used to for many. I don’t normally have any issues adapting to any FPS however the change in how aiming works in H5 is killing me. I can go back to any other halo game, BF, CoD, Destiny, hell even CSGO or any other FPS and I do fine. In H5 however I find the new aiming system quite debilitating personally which is screwing my K/D and win ratios. It seems that when I need to aim delicately the reticle either doesn’t move or “jumps” past the target. Other times when I need aim aggressively it seems to stick. Either way H5’s aiming is something that I can’t get used to even after reaching rank 91.

> 2533274796705570;15:
> It definitely moves differently then previous Halos and it takes some getting used to for many. I don’t normally have any issues adapting to any FPS however the change in how aiming works in H5 is killing me. I can go back to any other halo game, BF, CoD, Destiny, hell even CSGO or any other FPS and I do fine. In H5 however I find the new aiming system quite debilitating personally which is screwing my K/D and win ratios. It seems that when I need to aim delicately the reticle either doesn’t move or “jumps” past the target. Other times when I need aim aggressively it seems to stick. Either way H5’s aiming is something that I can’t get used to even after reaching rank 91.

I’m all for change and it’s a fine game for look and feel, I just find it strange that I can’t adapt like I used to to a change in game. Either age, or a change in game style emphasis.

Game play is different but fundamentally the same. You can play how you use to but add the new style to it. Halo 5 caters to it so much.

> 2535462450434439;17:
> Game play is different but fundamentally the same. You can play how you use to but add the new style to it. Halo 5 caters to it so much.

Halo 5 caters to the new generation of gamers. I get it but it doesn’t make Halo… Halo. It caters to more of a COD crowd than anything else.

> 2535458269032348;18:
> > 2535462450434439;17:
> > Game play is different but fundamentally the same. You can play how you use to but add the new style to it. Halo 5 caters to it so much.
>
> Halo 5 caters to the new generation of gamers. I get it but it doesn’t make Halo… Halo. It caters to more of a COD crowd than anything else.

Eh not really. I’ve played halo since halo 2 so I’m not og but I’ve been around. Fundamentally it follows the same core mechanic the older titles did. The difference is halo 5 is more comp focused with a modern touch. So i can see why it “feels” more cod because cod was a modern shooter. But so was Titanfall. It’s just that cod follows an arena ish style and halo in an arena game.

> 2535462450434439;19:
> > 2535458269032348;18:
> > > 2535462450434439;17:
> > > Game play is different but fundamentally the same. You can play how you use to but add the new style to it. Halo 5 caters to it so much.
> >
> > Halo 5 caters to the new generation of gamers. I get it but it doesn’t make Halo… Halo. It caters to more of a COD crowd than anything else.
>
> Eh not really. I’ve played halo since halo 2 so I’m not og but I’ve been around. Fundamentally it follows the same core mechanic the older titles did. The difference is halo 5 is more comp focused with a modern touch. So i can see why it “feels” more cod because cod was a modern shooter. But so was Titanfall. It’s just that cod follows an arena ish style and halo in an arena game.

That’s your opinion and that’s fine. I guess I’m an “elder” gamer that has a different opinion on it. I’ve been around halo since launch of halo:ce. Started my FPS days out with the original doom. That does’nt have any bearing on anything but it shows that I’ve been around too. I just see a huge gameplay difference in h1-3 to h4-5. I like the old school type games. Seems more tactical or skillful to me rather than a chaotic mash fest. Just my opinion.