Just watched the opening cutscene....

I almost cried at how bad the facial animation is, this is worse than Halo 3’s facial animation! Also the lip syncing is WAY off. Guess that’s what you get for outsourcing an English game to a mediocre Russian developer. Honestly after seeing this, I’m afraid to see any other cutscenes with mouth movement. Also where the hell did Keyes’s pipe go?

Saber did a good job on the environments, but if you ever work with them again 343, please don’t let them touch the cutscenes.

NOOO!

Where is Keyes’ pipe? Johnson has a permanent grimace! WHY!?

Have you seen Halo 3’s facial animations? Sure, I am disappointed in Anniversary’s, but they are still better than Halo 3. Other than that the cutscene was awesome! The part in the hangar bay – sick! Was the Longsword they showed supposed to be the one Chief ends up escaping on?

its not that bad, but i am dissapointed that he dose not have his awsome pipe, he takes that everywhere, its like his icon

> Have you seen Halo 3’s facial animations? Sure, I am disappointed in Anniversary’s, but they are still better than Halo 3. Other than that the cutscene was awesome! The part in the hangar bay – sick! Was the Longsword they showed supposed to be the one Chief ends up escaping on?

yh i dont see why they should make a fuss over the animation it looks great

> Have you seen Halo 3’s facial animations? Sure, I am disappointed in Anniversary’s, but they are still better than Halo 3. Other than that the cutscene was awesome! The part in the hangar bay – sick! Was the Longsword they showed supposed to be the one Chief ends up escaping on?

At least Halo 3’s facial animations actually looked like they were talking and the words matched up with the lips.
This looks like the facial animation from Red Vs Blue, not something professionally done!

wait!? the pipe was intact when i watched it.

I’m confused.

Obviously they couldn’t get the 2010 animation tech.

But still. Game is looking sexaayy

keyes’ pipe

skip to 0:55 :slight_smile:

The facial animation was the same as Halo 1’s. They couldn’t update that, since that’s engine level, not graphics layer. Or at-least to my knowledge of the engine, it’s engine level.

> keyes’ pipe
>
> skip to 0:55 :slight_smile:

YES!

> The facial animation was the same as Halo 1’s. They couldn’t update that, since that’s engine level, not graphics layer. Or at-least to my knowledge of the engine, it’s engine level.

No, the cutscenes have been completely redone with mocap, horrible mocap at that. Hell I would have taken the original animations in the cutscenes over this.

Yeah, they really could be better… But lets hope that other cutscenes have better made, or… then this would be older…

> > The facial animation was the same as Halo 1’s. They couldn’t update that, since that’s engine level, not graphics layer. Or at-least to my knowledge of the engine, it’s engine level.
>
> No, the cutscenes have been completely redone with mocap, horrible mocap at that. Hell I would have taken the original animations in the cutscenes over this.

Ahh, and I’m pretty sure the facial animations are even more screwy because of how they attached the new model’s mesh’s to the original bone’s.

Ah well, I can live with it, since most of it is MC, who has no mouth.

> Hell I would have taken the original animations in the cutscenes over this.

Come on now, that’s just ridiculous. But, lucky for you, you can. just watch it in 2001 mode and stop saying ridiculous things like’ “I would have taken the original animations in the cut scenes over this”.

> keyes’ pipe
>
> skip to 0:55 :slight_smile:

Well there is a bunch more horrible animation, Cortana just jittering her head around like she’s having a seizure and Keyes clamping his lips down on the pipe like the world’s most special man.

facial animations are blocky. But the character movements and overall quality are extraordinary (considering how its all based on a 2001 game.) so it doesnt really bug me. And I agree with Nulled, a lot of the time the scenes are focused on MC, who has no mouth.

> facial animations are blocky. But the character movements and overall quality are extraordinary (considering how its all based on a 2001 game.) so it doesnt really bug me. And I agree with Nulled, a lot of the time the scenes are focused on MC, who has no mouth.

And the preview that one guy showed shows that Chief is going to do stupid RVB head bobbing while talking. 343 and Saber really dropped the ball on this one.
This is not a love letter to the fans, this is not a labor of love. This is a quickly thrown together game using assets pulled from Halo Reach and Halo 3, outsourced to a Russian developer and made on a low budget just to get a quick buck and capitalize on the tenth anniversary of Halo. I didn’t want to believe that, but after see more and more of this game it is becoming more and more apparent. I will still buy the game, mainly to play co-op online and to play the multiplayer. I just hope that if they do a Halo 2 remake they don’t half -Yoink- it like this. I think the only love put into this game is the work by CA.
I have lost so much respect for 343 on this, I do not see how they could look at this and say it was good enough for what this game was supposed to be.

What killed me was Cortana’s animation… the rest is awesome. Except the fact they removed Keyes’ pipe… WHY?!

> The facial animation was the same as Halo 1’s. They couldn’t update that, since that’s engine level, not graphics layer. Or at-least to my knowledge of the engine, it’s engine level.

It’s not the engine, it’s the animations. Because they used the Halo 1 animations, they had to rig the new model’s bones to the old ones, and in Halo CE, the only facial animation is done by moving one jaw bone. So naturally, the only way for the new models to have facial animations is moving that one single jaw bone. There’s nothing to be done about it, it’s one of the downsides of keeping the game just as everyone wanted it.