Just played Halo 4 - Impressions (Questions)

As the title suggests. And may I say, it is - aisudfhafgiudfhgodifjgodi - AMAZING.

I was at the EB Expo just a few hours ago, lining up for a ridiculous amount of time (2+ hours) to play a 10 minute (usually less) match. I got in one match of Spartan Ops, and two rounds of War Games.

So I played a level known as ‘Fortress’, I think, on Spartan Ops. It was a snowy map, fighting Prometheans. I was barely coherent of what was going on, because - 1. I was fuming that I had to play Spartan Ops when I lined up 2 and a half hours to play multiplayer, and 2. The screen lag was nigh unbearable.

And the sound. The godly sound.

Anyhow, Spartan Ops went by. It was fun, overall, but I was left feeling a bit bitter, because while it was a blast to play, I was playing with a bunch of idiots who were running into walls; it was laggy as hell; and the knowledge that I had another 2 hours until I could play multiplayer again.

As for fighting the Prometheans, I have to say wow. Crawlers everywhere, Watchers everywhere, HARDLIGHT SHIELDS BLOCKING EVERYTHING. My grenades, flying back at me. It was stunning. I put the Suppressor to good use, and missed every shot that I had in my Binary Rifle. (Oh wait, I did destroy this turret thing that the Prometheans were attempting to build. It disintegrated >:)

Unfortunately, I didn’t come across any Knights. I destroyed about 3 Watchers in succession as they literally spewed Knight-reviving dust onto the ground. One of them, nearly, NEARLY, got it, but I was far too good for them. May I also add, the sound was godly? The Scattershot, oh wow. Everything in this game sounds so amazing.

One criticism of Spartan Ops I have is the voice acting. There was a fair bit of talking during the mission (which we didn’t get to finish, btw), and I felt that it seemed just a little… tacky. I don’t know.

Now onto Multiplayer.

I just have to say, 343, you nailed it. While it might’ve seemed extra fun to me cause I was hyped and cause I was finally playing Halo 4, the War Games match I played (which was Infinity Slayer on Complex), was so, so, so much fun. I managed to score multiple sprees, and a few memory-worthy moments of Thruster Packing. I also got a new medal, called Hail Mary, or something similar. Don’t quote me, but it had a Mary in it. And it was something about grenades. I think killing a guy with grenades far away? Not sure.

I used lots of the primary weapons. I wanted to test out the AR really badly, since everyone was saying it was super powerful. I didn’t get to empty a solid clip into someone, but from my playthrough, it seemed buffed up a tad. Still not too sure however, I was aching to try other weapons. The SAW is absolutely amazing; the sound is like, so good, I can’t even think up of a metaphor. Used the BR, loved it. Used the DMR, was pretty solid, and very accurate; the sound of the DMR was so epic that my ears literally hurt. No kidding. I tried to get my grip on the Storm Rifle, but I every time I spawned with it, I died pretty quickly. Jetpack does run out quite fast.

After that, I had a match of 4v4 on Exile. Wasn’t as great as the Complex match, but I did get a Running Riot. I used the Beam Rifle, and the Rockets. I have to say, I ran out of ammo on those two weapons fairly quickly, and no matter where I ran, I could NOT find another weapon. When I did, it ran out too! I was fighting Ghosts empty handed.

Speaking of Ghosts, may I mention the sound again? The Ghosts’ sound was so, extremely -Yoink!-. Each bolt sounded like a lightning strike. Even the boost sounded beastly. Just floating sounded amazing! Even the Mongoose’s horn sounded great!

One thing I noticed, in the menu that loaded up Spartan Ops, there were multiple texture pop-ins. In fact, when I was browsing the Armoury, the textures didn’t even pop in! My Spartan looked like wet clay. But then, when I played Multiplayer, there were no texture pop-ins or any glitches. I guess it’s just a build difference.

I just wanted to say, Halo 4 is amazing. I had an absolute blast. Absolute, absolute blast. I will be heading back to the Expo the day after tomorrow, so I cannot wait to play it again! Everything about the game was great, (did I mention the sound?)

Go ahead and ask me anything you want to know, as I’m pretty sure it was the latest build (Can’t remember if there were any medals in-game though). If there’s any specific thing or weapon you want me to try out or test, etc, just let me know, and I’ll try do it the next time I go!

TL;DR: Halo 4 is great. A few graphical hiccups with Spartan Ops, and voice acting. Multiplayer is awesome. Sound is unbelievable. Ask me anything.

Seems like everyone thats played halo 4 so far (including me) has really enjoyed it. I have almost no worries of halo 4 ever since they clarified some of the tactical/support packages.

Yeah, the game is really fluid and quick. Sprint fits well. As of the moment, I barely noticed the benefits of tactical/support packages, but I can’t say much since I only played 2 quick matches.

1. Does the DMR have some what the same Range of Fire as in Reach.
2. Also does crouching reduce Bloom on the DMR

I can’t exactly say much about the DMR at the moment. I barely used it. I’m not sure about the crouching/bloom, but I’ll definitely try that next time.

As for Range of Fire, in the brief few seconds I used it, it seemed very, very accurate. Like, more accurate than no bloom. I wasn’t scoping either, I think. Don’t quote me too much, but next time I will use the DMR more, and get a bit more insight into it.

Because size comparisons can be tough on video, how big was Exile compared to Complex? Try your best to give us an idea, using old halo maps to help if needed.

> Yeah, the game is really fluid and quick. Sprint fits well. As of the moment, I barely noticed the benefits of tactical/support packages, but I can’t say much since I only played 2 quick matches.

I got to play 4 in all. (2 at RTX 2 at PAX) and while i can see the benifits of the TP its not as noticeable or give a big advantage over someone else. Everything about custom classes in this game really makes it about how you would like to play with out making it unfair to other players.

Complex seemed mid to large. They’re a bit hard to compare, as Complex has a multitude of buildings around the centre. I thought Complex would be a rather large map, but then when I played it, I could find an enemy player within seconds. It was a very intense match. It seemed go a bit more tightly-packed in the centre of the map, and along the sides it spanned outwards, as I remember shooting a number of players that were quite far away. It was a lot more open that way, too.

I would almost say they’re the same size, but they’re a bit different to compare, as I felt they played differently.

Can you still get good height with the Jet pack or is it just as effective as farting while jumping.

> > Yeah, the game is really fluid and quick. Sprint fits well. As of the moment, I barely noticed the benefits of tactical/support packages, but I can’t say much since I only played 2 quick matches.
>
> I got to play 4 in all. (2 at RTX 2 at PAX) and while i can see the benifits of the TP its not as noticeable or give a big advantage over someone else. Everything about custom classes in this game really makes it about how you would like to play with out making it unfair to other players.

Yeah, really the biggest thing I think that I would notice is probably the Dexterity one. Reloading faster is quite a big advantage, but then I didn’t use Dexterity most of the time, and I survived fine.

> Can you still get good height with the Jet pack or is it just as effective as farting while jumping.

Didn’t manage to completely use the jetpack, as when I picked it there was about 10 seconds to go. Definitely runs out faster. In a way, it is inferior to the Reach jetpack, (while it may be inferior, it is probably better for gameplay overall). It runs out faster, and doesn’t go as high, I’m pretty sure.

> > Can you still get good height with the Jet pack or is it just as effective as farting while jumping.
>
> Didn’t manage to completely use the jetpack, as when I picked it there was about 10 seconds to go. Definitely runs out faster. In a way, it is inferior to the Reach jetpack, (while it may be inferior, it is probably better for gameplay overall). It runs out faster, and doesn’t go as high, I’m pretty sure.

without fall damge I don’t think running out will be a problem anymore so silver lining right.

Yes, I’ve noticed something about that! I remember there was fall damage in halo 4? But then, I tried multiple times to try get injured by fall damage, but each and every time I never even lost a tidbit of shield. Although, I didn’t gain much air, but if it was the equivalent in Reach, I would’ve been hurt.

I noticed in the map walkthroughs there was tons of motion blur, to the point where it was almost hard to watch at some points. Is this toned down in the game? i didn’t notice it that much is some of the gameplay videos i’ve seen, but that may have been because of bad quality videos/ older builds etc.

OP, I don’t know if you noticed, but when you were using scoped weapons, you were never descoped when you were hit. Your reticule may have flinched, because this is the new mechanic replacing unscoping. Can you describe the flinching for us if you remember it? How severe was it? Did it hinder you aiming at all? If you used any of the snipers, did you find it difficult to fight DMR or BR users when getting hit?

I will cry if there are texture pops.

> > > Can you still get good height with the Jet pack or is it just as effective as farting while jumping.
> >
> > Didn’t manage to completely use the jetpack, as when I picked it there was about 10 seconds to go. Definitely runs out faster. In a way, it is inferior to the Reach jetpack, (while it may be inferior, it is probably better for gameplay overall). It runs out faster, and doesn’t go as high, I’m pretty sure.
>
> without fall damge I don’t think running out will be a problem anymore so silver lining right.

Pretty sure there is fall damage.

> OP, I don’t know if you noticed, but when you were using scoped weapons, you were never descoped when you were hit. Your reticule may have flinched, because this is the new mechanic replacing unscoping. Can you describe the flinching for us if you remember it? How severe was it? Did it hinder you aiming at all? If you used any of the snipers, did you find it difficult to fight DMR or BR users when getting hit?

I didn’t even notice it, really. I was pretty hesitant on that new mechanic, but throughout all my matches, I didn’t even notice not getting zoomed out. I don’t know, I did snipe a lot, and I mean like almost every match. While I can’t say my fellow players were the best, I found sniping just as hard as ever.

I don’t know, I didn’t get to try experiment with the zooming/shooting thing too much. Sorry about that! But from my Halo 4 snipe experiences, I didn’t notice anything different. Probably because I was still extremely excited to play.

Just came back from another day of Halo 4. I think I got in, 4 matches? Played one game of Dominion on Longbow, and the rest were CTF on Exile. Got Frenzy’s like almost every match, a Rampage and I think something higher than that on a round in Exile (and ended up dying for the first time in the last 10 seconds, literally). Had my Perfection snatched away from me!

I used the Railgun. I also managed to fight off some Auto Sentries. I am pretty sure that Auto Sentries take about 3-4 (I think 4) bursts from the BR to fully destroy. When you kill the dude, the Sentry blows up immediately as well. I Railgunned one of the turrets formed during Dominion. One shot from the Railgun will damage those turrets like to about 95%. I used my magnum to finish it off. DMR is very accurate.

TO THE QUESTION GUY ABOVE ABOUT THE DMR BLOOM:

I shot the DMR standing and crouched, a couple shots each. From what I could see, the bloom change wasn’t noticeable. I think it’s the same. If it’s different, it either might take more shots to bloom, or the bloom is very minimal.