Just Me? VISIBLE RANKING

I query:
Am I the only person on these forums that wants a visible ranking system that shows that I am better than someone else?

I know this may seem harsh, and probably a bad reflection on my personality, but I want the satisfaction of seeing someone else in the lobby, and feel like I’m better than them. I.e; I’m a leve 25 in Team Slayer, and it matches me with a 17 on my team, I like the fact that I am better than someone else. This then gives me motivation to outkill him.

Likewise, when I get a 32 on my team, I think: “Wow, how did he get that? I’ll try and better his score to show that I’m no moron.”

Perhaps this is from many years of playing Football (US = Soccer) where I would play every weekend in an attempt to improve my teams position in the local league. I feel like I need the position (the rank) to motivate myself. I know, that I wouldn’t have been so dedicated were it not for this, and the same goes for Halo.

I ask, is it just me that wants a visible skill based system?

Heck, if CoD:BO2 came out with one, despite it most likely having inferior gameplay, I would probably play it more.

I want one too.

Why is it so neccesary?

You don’t need to see a rank to know if you’re better or worse. Play the game, thats where the real skill and showing off is. Not the little symbols next to your gamertag.

If you’re beat, that should be motivation enough to get better.

While it can be nice sometimes, its just not neccesary. Hidden ranking systems can help stop some cheating too. Why would people take the time or effort to cheat if no one else will be able to see it?

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

I want a visible one too. But 343 is a bunch of fail.

Nope you’re definitely not the only one. While it doesn’t bother me, others seem to think it is the end of the world.

> Why is it so neccesary?
>
> You don’t need to see a rank to know if you’re better or worse. Play the game, thats where the real skill and showing off is. Not the little symbols next to your gamertag.
>
> If you’re beat, that should be motivation enough to get better.
>
>
>
> While it can be nice sometimes, its just not neccesary. Hidden ranking systems can help stop some cheating too. Why would people take the time or effort to cheat if no one else will be able to see it?

Who is to say it doesn’t motivate me to play better? You?

Secondly, instead of hiding the ranks, why not improve the Banhammer?

Or modify the Truskill limits.

Oh god this -Yoink- again, wasn’t a 17 page thread for this enough? Page one people agreeing, page two people disagreeing, every page after that mindless bickering flaming and insults as neither side will see the others point.

> Oh god this Yoink! again, wasn’t a 17 page thread for this enough? Page one people agreeing, page two people disagreeing, every page after that mindless bickering flaming and insults as neither side will see the others point.

Ah yes, the one by Phamassists, I contributed occasionally.

What I was unsure of, was whether players shared coining ground on why they wanted a Ranking System. I offered my reasons.

I like an invisible ranking system, it reduces the rage I feel at getting 3 50s on my team who are completely incompetent and who I outperform with one hand on the controller. For as much as people think this was a small or isolated issue in Halo 3, I sure did have a lot of terrible games because of it.

A visible ranking system does nothing but paint a big “break me” sign on the matchmaking system of the game, and while TrueSkill has lots of advantages, it also has lots of weaknesses, so it’s better to just let it work in the background.

> > Oh god this Yoink! again, wasn’t a 17 page thread for this enough? Page one people agreeing, page two people disagreeing, every page after that mindless bickering flaming and insults as neither side will see the others point.
>
> Ah yes, the one by Phamassists, I contributed occasionally.
>
> What I was unsure of, was whether players shared coining ground on why they wanted a Ranking System. I offered my reasons.

I can honestly say the ones for a VRS in that and most threads are quite fractured on their reasons for wanting it while it seems those opposed are fairly united in their reasons to not want one.

I’d say about 50% want it for bragging rights and flaming, 20% for nostalgia, 10% are bandwagoning 15% for respectable reasons, and 5% just want a system they can exploit.

You are not alone. It fuels the competitive monster in all of us…and mine is hungry…

I hate how people want videogames to be extremely competitive and are all about rank, bragging, and proving that your a superior to someone else. That’s what sports are for. Don’t get me wrong i consider myself to be competitive but really, you want a visible rank so you can feel more powerful than another person?

> > Why is it so neccesary?
> >
> > You don’t need to see a rank to know if you’re better or worse. Play the game, thats where the real skill and showing off is. Not the little symbols next to your gamertag.
> >
> > If you’re beat, that should be motivation enough to get better.
> >
> >
> >
> > While it can be nice sometimes, its just not neccesary. Hidden ranking systems can help stop some cheating too. Why would people take the time or effort to cheat if no one else will be able to see it?
>
> Who is to say it doesn’t motivate me to play better? You?
>
> Secondly, instead of hiding the ranks, why not improve the Banhammer?
>
> Or modify the Truskill limits.

It can help motivate you to play better, I guess. But playing and being good at the game should be your focus, not a number or symbol by your gamertag.

Who is to say 343i isn’t improving the Banhammer?

Or modifying the Truskill limits?

I want a ranking system. And if not at least show w/l. I still play halo 3 and most people playing now are on new accounts. I use w/l over what thier skill is to decide how good I think they are. You come up against someone who lost 100 ranked out of 1000 ranked games and no social u no thier gonna be good.

Visible ranks are just going to lead to hacking so people can show off. If you’re good you’re good, you don’t need to show off, because in Halo 3 I got sick and tired of people who were 50’s and played like 20’s.

If the ranking system does its job and the people you play against are of equal or near equal rank, then you wouldn’t be better. So why does it matter if it’s visable or not? Unless you want to troll social playlists and the forums to stat flame.

> Visible ranks are just going to lead to hacking so people can show off. If you’re good you’re good, you don’t need to show off, because in Halo 3 I got sick and tired of people who were 50’s and played like 20’s.

Hacking? Now that’s a rarity!

50’s that played like 20’s? If anecdotal evidence from social games is anything to go by? Playlist specific 50’s are the best players in the given playlist.

By having an improved Banhammer, rank exploitation would end. This would then mean the ranks were an accurate representation of a players skill.

I have nothing against the rank being invisible, or visible. it doesn’t effect me too much.

However, I would like a system better than Halo 3, where it was so easy to exploit that matchmaking would more than often disappoint me. Change the formulas, change the difficulty to reach the next rank, etc. And also stop the god awful system where winning 10-15 games could make you stay the same rank, yet one 2-point loss afterwards could de-rank you (this issue is more important to me than the ranks being visible, and is actually why i mainly welcomed the invisible ranks in Reach. the system was the same as reach).

I would like a visible rank too. To everyone saying they don’t, look are your Forum avatar, what do you see underneath it? Would you like it if all your high post counts and thanks were suddenly set invisible?

Like I said in another thread, if the matchmaking system at balancing team is heavenly perfect, or close to (which probably won’t), then I will have absolutely no problem with not being able to see the ranks of others. If balancing teams feels off then I’d probably feel cheated not being able to see the ranks of those around me.

Does no one else remember the little message when waiting in Halo 3’s matchmaking lobby that went somewhere along the lines of "Want to show off your amazing game? Save your gameplay and share it with the rest of your friends for bragging rights.

I will surely miss those old days.

> If the ranking system does its job and the people you play against are of equal or near equal rank, then you wouldn’t be better. So why does it matter if it’s visable or not? Unless you want to troll social playlists and the forums to stat flame.

In Halo 3, search restrictions were limited to 10 levels either side. It would take too long to find perfect games.

Social playlists are social, nothing else. Playlists to relax in.

Stat flaming on forums: considering these are for adults, noone should get upset by it. Admittedly those who do it are sad though.