Just got halo wars 1

I just got the first halo wars game and want to play both soon. They’re the only halo games I haven’t played yet. Since these games are in a genre I’ve never played before, can I get some tips on how to play best? I’m having a tough time learning how to play and enjoying the game.

1 Like

Well good news is you’re playing one of the best Halo games out there far as an RTS goes. Far as tips and tricks I would suggest trying to pair up with players who have actually played the game or currently play the game. RTS games have a huge skill Gap. But if you look up scorpion Rush that’s a good start and a good way to build.

1 Like

I was thinking of just doing the campaign. Multiplayer does sound fun if I can find people to play with, though

I was never an rts player but I had a blast playing the halo wars games once the controls clicked with me. My advice is to get comfortable with the different ways to select your units quickly, and you will have more fun. On my first play through I am pretty sure I only used the select all button and the one for an individual unit. Once I figured out the various ways to select units, I started really enjoying the game. ex: local units only/double clicking a unit to select all of that type/select all then use triggers to scroll through to the unit you want/holding a to make a circle to select a group/etc

1 Like

So RTS’s are really about having a solid understanding of units, their production times, resources and map control; not entirely unlike an FPS but not quite the same either. Halo Wars 1 works on a “Rock-Paper-Scissors” type system. Air Units are weak against infantry, Infantry are weak against vehicles and vehicles are weak against Air units, so it’s really about using the right tool for the right job. Each Leader has their own specialized unit that is excels above the normal base unit; Captain Cutter has ODSTs available to him, that are MUCH better than normal infantry just as an example. I haven’t played Halo Wars 2 in a long while but it used the same idea and expanded on it. If you’re new to the genre, it’s a lot of Trial & Error. Don’t be discouraged when you lose, just do your best to understand your mistakes and formulate a different approach the next time around. These games were designed to be accessible to people who don’t normally play any RTS games. The absolute best advice I can give you is to save as often as you can, if the option is available to you. Otherwise, you’re probably gonna end up replaying a bunch of missions right from the start and that’s just frustration.

1 Like

HW1 is a legend.
Most dramatic and I think it’s more beautiful than REACH.
I love the SOF crew.

If you want to enjoy it to the fullest, I think it would be great if you could play without knowing the story,
Everyone knows old legends, so it can’t be helped.
There are more missions than HW2, and the finely inserted cutscenes are beautiful, as if you were watching a movie.

HW is definitely HALO and HW1 wants you to enjoy the campaign.
HW2 has become a little more complicated, but has less personality.
Everyone will like 1 for HW series.
I like HW2 because I am obedient to Atriox.

1 Like