Just completed all of my challenges and a new one popped up that would take several hours

“Win 17 matches” each match is about ten minutes, that means to beat this surprise challenge in time, and if i did perfectly, I’d have to spend about 3 or 4 hours winning. Why does this happen?

1 Like

It’s known as the “capstone challenge”, I believe. It doesn’t show up until all the weeklies are completed.

1 Like

It’s even worse than the first weeks Capstone challenge and people were complaining about that one too.

The gameplay loop is designed to force you to play for as long as possible. The challenges require you to play a variety of game types (slayer, capture the flag, etc.), but game mode selection is completely random so you’ll have to slog through game modes you don’t care about to play a game mode that you don’t like in order to maybe accomplish your challenge. You can’t just drop in, play a few rounds of slayer, and then log off. The reasoning behind this is that the longer you play, the more likely you are to pay for the (ridiculously overpriced) microtransactions.

1 Like

I don’t believe that’s exactly the right explanation, but it’s not far off from what I’m thinking. I do think they want want people playing more often (multiple times per week or daily) and they do want people playing for longer when they do play, not specifically because it will increase that chances of each player deciding to buy something, but because it will help to maintain a robust, healthy playing population, which gives them the best chance at attracting more players and retaining them. Attracting more players means having a higher chance of attracting those that would be willing to pay for cosmetics, and you also need a healthy player population because the majority of people that are willing to buy cosmetics wouldn’t do so if they feel the game is dead or dying soon.

To address the OP though, I don’t think this weekly ultimate challenge is that bad, but I can see how it might seem like a grind if you have only unlocked it so late in the week. I agree that it would probably be more reasonable if they cut the requirement in half - OR - what I think would be a much better idea is if you could see the ultimate challenge and make progress on it right from the beginning of the week, but you don’t get credit for completing it unless you also complete all of the other weeklies. If they had a system like this, then it would be acceptable to increase the requirements of the ultimate as well.

It is frustrating. Huge time commitment a lot of people can’t commit to.

1 Like

It is. That’s literally how the FTP model works. It has nothing to do with with maintaining population, it’s just a feature of the business model. It’s how it works with every FTP game, and is the purpose of things like daily/weekly challenges and events and stuff. The more time you can get someone to spend in the game, the more money they are likely to spend.

1 Like

Yup, I didn’t even bother completing this challenge, the reward wasn’t worth it so I quit playing for the day.

1 Like

This is normal. This is part of the Capstone challenge.

This happened to me… 2 minutes before weekly reset. I stayed up, all night to grind out those challenges, and just quit, right then and there. Still too angry about that entire night I wasted to pick the game back up yet.
I’ve got a massive list of improvements and how they could be implemented, and a list of alternative ways they could make revenue, if only they would welcome feedback. It seems like almost everyone has ideas for how to improve the existing systems, and a lot of people can communicate their ideas in a respectful manner. The problem is, I haven’t heard anything about these developers even being receptive to the idea of community feedback. it feels like spitting a word salad at a wall.

Releasing unfinished games with broken APIs is nothing new to the industry, but this game sapped the joy out of me this week. And one of my rules about spending money on games is that I’ll support the developer of a free game if it’s fun enough to justify it. within the first few days of release, I bought the battle pass. My justification was that 343’s done a good job with MCC, they learned a lot of lessons, and it was fun enough at the time that I could justify the price. But unless changes are made, and they extend some kind of olive branch, that’s all it’s worth.