"Jumper Jumper" solution for the Grappleshot

Like many of you, I play Halo on the Bumper Jumper control scheme. This control scheme has many many advantages, but with the addition of armor abilities to the original Halo: Reach it became apparent there were some drawbacks.

The most notable being that, as the X button was your Armor Ability button, Bumper Jumper players were unable to utilize the Jetpack and look around with the right stick at the same time.

When MCC launched in 2014, a setting was added to Halo 4’s control scheme called Jumper Jumper, which allows you to activate Jetpack equipment by holding the ‘Jump’ button while airborne. (Recommended for ‘Bumper Jumper’ button layouts.) (I was not even aware of this setting until Halo: Reach’s addition to the collection!)

When playing in the Halo Infinite Technical Previews, it became apparent that Bumper Jumper players would have a similar problem with the new Grappleshot. The ability to look around and activitate the ability at a precise moment is important for this piece of equipment.

Unfortunately I do not currently have any suggestions as to how a “Jumper Jumper” type solution could be implemented for the Grappleshot, however I do see there is a gap in the control scheme and hope that a solution can be created and implemented at some time.

I am not sure what kind of button combination (or even just using the same Jumper Jumper scheme as the Jetpack) would be best. Shoot, maybe even just rebinding the share button on the Series X | S controls to equipment if needed… lol.

4 Likes

I love this idea! I pretty much exclusively play on Bumper Jumper, and think this would make grappling with accuracy so much easier.

2 Likes

Correct me if im wrong but won’t the controller options allow for context sensitive input editing so theoretically we can make any control scheme fit?
I’ll use a set up similar to recon for example with tweaks.

@Modod

Correct me if im wrong but won’t the controller options allow for context sensitive input editing so theoretically we can make any control scheme fit?
I’ll use a set up similar to recon for example with tweaks.

Do you mean the creation of button combinations (or stuff like Jumper Jumper)? Or just rebinding buttons individually?

The options menu lets rebind buttons.
and far as i know it factors in context, eg hold, tap, double tap, does it not? I could be wrong i only edited them quickly at the start of the flights but I remember it being fairly robust in how I could tune my set up.

Unfortunately I don’t recall the context piece - however I hope you’re right!

Perhaps holding melee could be an alternate equipment button? Though I’m sure throwing out a punch prior to firing the Grappleshot may lead to some disadvantageous situations, I can’t really think of another bind that would let us keep our right thumb on the right stick at this time.

(Replying as I’m unable to edit my last comment with a new thought - apologies for the bump.)

I think if we were able to set clicking the Left and Right sticks to an alternate bind for equipment we would be able to easily be able to aim the Grappleshot and fire it without taking our right thumb off the stick.

Does anyone remember if we were able to create such a bind from the Flights?