July beta. Thoughts on the weapons?

So I was curious what everyone’s thoughts were on all the weapons we have seen/used thus far. Likes or dislikes, good or bad, be honest and try to be nice about it.
If you have thoughts on all guns then make a bullet list and try to keep it brief.

For example, here’s my list:

  • Assault Rifle. Reliable, easy to use, and felt meaty like in reach or halo 3. - Battle Rifle. Again, Reliable, and easy to use. Personally I liked the battle rifle in 4/5, but this feels like the BR we deserve. - Pistol. Very good as a sidearm/backup weapon. Felt good to pull it out whenever you dropped the enemy’s shields, but other than that it felt a bit weak (7 shot tkk if you land every shot). - Commando. Slow and heavy hitting, like a DMR put in full auto. It felt decent at long range, clunky at medium, and absolutely awful up close and personal. - Bulldog. Besides the obvious deviation when it comes to its looks, this latest shotgun felt pretty good. It felt like it’s max range was an improvement from all the shotguns we’ve had before, but at the same time it’s optimal dmg range felt reduced. I don’t think I ever got a 1 shot kill with it during the whole beta. - Sniper. Felt a bit awkward. Couldn’t tell you why. - Rocket Launcher. Meaty, and very satisfying as always. - Pulse Carbine. Felt like a mix between the plasma repeater and the needle rifle. Projectiles aren’t hitscan, but they’ve got decent tracking and the weapon fires decently fast. I’d honestly prefer the regular carbine, but this isn’t bad. - Plasma Pistol. Let’s be honest, we all only use this one for one thing; The EMP. My one take away from using this was that the tracking felt horrible, the noob combo suffered as a result. - Needler. Felt like an absolute beast. It slaughters at close to mid range. I felt like the low mag size, coupled with it’s low dmg, compensates for the insta kill explosions. - Ravager. Felt rewarding, honestly. The charge shot didn’t seem to do anything, so that probably needs a fix or a buff. - Skewer. Like a cross between the sniper and the rocket launcher. It has no aoe, but it’s insta kill anywhere on the body. To compensate it’s only one shot per reload, and it reloads slooooowly. - Gravity Hammer. Range seemed to be increased, but the swing time seemed increased too. Definitely the weakest hammer thus far due to its overall slow ttk. - Heatwave. I’ve made my thoughts on the heatwave pretty clear I think. I feel like it’s weak and needs some form of buff to be relevant. - Frag Grenade. Same as usual. Not broken, not fixed. - Plasma Grenade. Same as usual. Not broken, not fixed. - Spike Grenade. Felt similar to the one in 3, but the actual spikes seemed bigger. Might just be a visual thing.

That’s the gist of it. Feel free to follow my example, or if you just wanna talk about one gun do so as well. I’m just curious to see what everyone’s first impressions were.

Thank you all!

It was not a beta first and foremost. I know this might be numbing, but the difference is very important to distinguish. The Commando takes time up close, but can be used extremely well especially on MnK. Pistol is far from weak. It has a really good body and optimal TTK. The sniper did feel slightly weird outside of the lack of aim assist. The gravity hammer has arguably the biggest AOE so far and is pretty well balanced. The spike grenade was reworked beautifully. Honestly I want to pick these up not because of the AOE.

> 2533274792737987;2:
> It was not a beta first and foremost. I know this might be numbing, but the difference is very important to distinguish. The Commando takes time up close, but can be used extremely well especially on MnK. Pistol is far from weak. It has a really good body and optimal TTK. The sniper did feel slightly weird outside of the lack of aim assist. The gravity hammer has arguably the biggest AOE so far and is pretty well balanced. The spike grenade was reworked beautifully. Honestly I want to pick these up not because of the AOE.

Was more looking for your own thoughts, not your thoughts on my thoughts, but I see your point. And I’m not going to go into semantics over what 343 choose to call their game tests.

> 2533274868938324;3:
> > 2533274792737987;2:
> > It was not a beta first and foremost. I know this might be numbing, but the difference is very important to distinguish. The Commando takes time up close, but can be used extremely well especially on MnK. Pistol is far from weak. It has a really good body and optimal TTK. The sniper did feel slightly weird outside of the lack of aim assist. The gravity hammer has arguably the biggest AOE so far and is pretty well balanced. The spike grenade was reworked beautifully. Honestly I want to pick these up not because of the AOE.
>
> Was more looking for your own thoughts, not your thoughts on my thoughts, but I see your point. And I’m not going to go into semantics over what 343 choose to call their game tests.

It’s an industry standard not 343i specific. An alpha is an alpha.

I stated my thoughts on the weapons. How is stating “The spike grenade was reworked beautifully” my thoughts on your thoughts?

I think you stated plenty of valid points outside of the pistol and gravity hammer.

They seem like a nice selection overall, plus I know that it was far from the full sandbox of the final game. I do have to reiterate though that, at least for me and good many people I know of, the aiming felt off, especially for a couple of weapons in particular. I also think that the game overall would benefit from some slightly higher TTKs all around. But they otherwise generally feel well balanced.

  • Assault Rifle: Definitely one of, if not the strongest iterations of the weapon this time around. It does extra headshot damage now and is viable at a longer range than before, even competitive with the battle rifle to a degree. Some people don’t like it so much, but I honestly dig it. The AR doesn’t have to be useless outside close range just cause it was in some of the past games. It is supposed to be the UNSC’s main battle weapon after all; I know lore isn’t super important in MP but still. - Pistol: Conversely, the sidekick now actually feels more like a sidearm. Not as much of a go-to anymore with a 7 shot kill, but it shoots fast and was definitely a reliable backup. Felt good. - Battle Rifle: No complaints, felt like the desirable ranged precision weapon it’s always been. I was surprised by how much better the assault rifle held up to it as mentioned earlier, but not really a problem for me, still a better choice at range. - Bulldog: Felt slightly unwieldy, but that’s probably just because I’m not used to rapid fire shotguns in Halo. I think it’s a solid addition, but I do hope the classic shotgun will be around, at least at some point. I can see a niche for both. - Commando Rifle: Not quite sure about this one yet. It makes I suppose lore wise and sandbox wise to have an automatic ranged/precision weapon, but I’m not exactly sure where it’s niche will be. It seems possibly meant to take the DMR’s place. I also couldn’t really hit anything with it. The recoil coupled with whatever is causing the general aiming issues people seem to be having made me a little averse to picking it up. - Sniper: Mostly fine, another gun that seemed impacted by some aiming issues, but less of a problem because it’s supposed to be a challenge. Firing rate seems slightly slower than past games too. Honestly can’t have too much of an opinion cause I didn’t get my hands on it very much outside of the academy. - Rocket Launcher: Boom - Frag Grenade: Fine, but I think they should have more of a kinetic effect. Grenade jumping does not get you too far.
  • Plasma Pistol: Felt great to me. Definitely seemed to me to have better tracking than some of the other games. Some people think it’s tracking needs to be buffed, some people think it needs to be nerfed, I personally think it’s fine as is. Bonus points for the classic sounding hum of the overcharge. - Needler: Packs a huge punch this time. While satisfying to use, it’s a little annoying to go up against, cause you’re pretty much screwed unless you’re right next to cover. Maybe needs a very slight tracking nerf. My main issue is the with the sound design. Just like in 5, it seems too “pew-pewy”. I really think it needs a more crystalline sound. First, because the thing shoots, well, crystals. And second, it has to have a distinct audio cue as it did in past games to give players a chance to take cover. Otherwise it’s practically a guaranteed kill for people caught not facing their attacker. Far more than usual, I found myself blown to smithereens by some needler before I even knew what hit me. - Pulse Carbine: Found it pretty fun to use, and useful too. Very strong tracking, and kills in about 3 bursts, but I thought that was balanced by the slower projectiles and the fact that it won’t track unless you’re on target first. I personally think it’s fine, but wouldn’t oppose minor adjustments either. - Skewer: Cool concept, but another gun I couldn’t really hit anything with. Seems like it could be better against vehicles though. - Ravager: Couldn’t get my hands on this one too often either outside of academy. Left a fun impression though. But I can say the charged shot didn’t seem to be very useful. - Gravity Hammer: Extremely satisfying to use, and fun as hell with the grappling hook! Seems to have higher range than before, and a slightly slower swing time. I honestly thought it was stronger than in H3 or HR though. There were definitely times in those games where I didn’t get a one hit kill cause I was slightly too far away or at slightly too much an angle, and it cost me. Those things didn’t seem to weaken it as much from what I’ve seen of HI so far. I think it needs more knockback too, for both attacker and receiver. - Plasma Grenade: Pretty much the same as ever, animation could look a little less liquidy and more fiery imo, but that’s just me. - Spike Grenade: Should have more spikes imo.
  • Heatwave: Interesting but didn’t seem terribly useful to be honest. Horizontal mode did way too little damage to kill, vertical mode felt a little off.

overall i liked all the weapons in infinite, but if i want to get more into it, i will wait for the final game.

Ravager. Well i really try to kill bots with a overcharged shot, when you leave a kind of flames/lava on the floor i really spect to some bots with low shields come running and get kill, like when you trow a pulse grenade and someone with low shields come walking and die. But never happened, i hope they add more damage to that mechanic because it feels a little useless.

Bulldog. I like it but i think it needs more power, both bulldog and heatwave feels weak.

Commando. Sometimes i hate it Sometimes i like it. Feels Nice but when You use zoom … I find the Sidekick pistol more usefull

Sniper. I need some time yo get used to this version, still a Classic.

Here is a copy and paste from my post today….

UNSC faction guns

  • The AR looks and sounds great, it is a strong close to mid-range weapon, and is easy to use. Although it has some long-range capabilities, and this is where most people accuse it of being overpowered, I think the damage range should be capped down to the close to mid-range meta, and then gun should be perfect, and not too overwhelming to go up against. - The BR also looks and sounds great, and it is balanced in my opinion. I do think the gun’s burst of fire could be slightly increased but it’s a perfect gun, and it is moderately hard to use, it is optimal for mid to long range fights, and can even perform up close engagements, making it a reliable and versatile weapon as it should be in the game’s history. - the rocket launcher is also cool, sounds and feels good, it’s a great power weapon to use. - the sniper is also easy to use, although I think you should increase the reticle size by like 1 percent to make it easier to aim for no scopes. - the sidekick lives up to its name, it’s a great secondary weapon to use up close, and can perform mid-range in engagements, if the people is skilled enough, I rate this gun easy to use - the vk commando is a unique gun with problems, yes its OP but if can land your shots, it is stated in-game that it’s a precision rifle, but it requires immense aim to use, and there are so many misplace shots, and it kicks like an Ak47 in real life, no joke I mean this gun should be a mid-range weapon, overall this gun is hard to use and takes time to get used to it, like you must train yourself to use it. - the bulldog is fun to use, and I like the spray and rush element to it. I would say it’s a moderate difficult gun.UNSC faction conclusion

  • I really like the sound and weapon designs of the UNSC guns, and I appreciated the more realistic sound of them, they definitively, do feel like a real gun like there human being made and from earth.Covenant faction guns

  • the pulse carbine is op if you can land your hits and is worth picking up if you know how to use it. - the plasma pistol is weak, but it’s mostly been like that through the entire game history and is usually used for noob shots and EMPs. The gun is easy to use but useless if you were to use the weapon objectively. - the gravity hammer is epic, feels like a real mallet, do not think you should do anything else - the skewer is a great weapon to pick up, works like the rail gun, but it’s just epic to use, it’s also easy. - the heat wave is cool, I say make it 1 shot 1 kill up close like the scatter and this thing will be a community favorite in every game. - the ravager is a bit confusing to use, I never got a kill with it, I think it’s a campaign weapon. - the needler does its job and is fast, on dispatching a target.covenant faction gun conclusion

  • they feel exotic and alien to use, just make sure they sound like covenant weapons.gun overview conclusion,
    I think the vk commando needs alot of work, like increase the magazine capacity, and also the just sheer function it plays in the multiplayer meta, it is trying to be an assault rifle for long range engagement but it is hard to place shots with this gun, I mean in the live action multiplayer it takes longer time to aim at real players, and that can be punishing if you fail to place shots even if your perched somewhere and got the advantage. Honestly in my opinion I do not see why you should bring in the halo 5 DMR, it was a great weapon to use in big team battles and can work more than fine at long range engagements. The ravager needs work too, but I barely got to play with it in the multiplayer, so I am out of words on that one. also, the vk commando has a red dot sight but scopes in like a BR which is strange considering it has a red dot sight, just add ADS animations, or do something different like a smart-link ADS, and make it 25 bullets instead of 20, because I will run out of ammo on an individual target, and I would be like 1 shot left to finishing the player off, totally a bummer.

> 2533274926527272;5:
> They seem like a nice selection overall, plus I know that it was far from the full sandbox of the final game. I do have to reiterate though that, at least for me and good many people I know of, the aiming felt off, especially for a couple of weapons in particular. I also think that the game overall would benefit from some slightly higher TTKs all around. But they otherwise generally feel well balanced.
>
> - Assault Rifle: Definitely one of, if not the strongest iterations of the weapon this time around. It does extra headshot damage now and is viable at a longer range than before, even competitive with the battle rifle to a degree. Some people don’t like it so much, but I honestly dig it. The AR doesn’t have to be useless outside close range just cause it was in some of the past games. It is supposed to be the UNSC’s main battle weapon after all; I know lore isn’t super important in MP but still. - Pistol: Conversely, the sidekick now actually feels more like a sidearm. Not as much of a go-to anymore with a 7 shot kill, but it shoots fast and was definitely a reliable backup. Felt good. - Battle Rifle: No complaints, felt like the desirable ranged precision weapon it’s always been. I was surprised by how much better the assault rifle held up to it as mentioned earlier, but not really a problem for me, still a better choice at range. - Bulldog: Felt slightly unwieldy, but that’s probably just because I’m not used to rapid fire shotguns in Halo. I think it’s a solid addition, but I do hope the classic shotgun will be around, at least at some point. I can see a niche for both. - Commando Rifle: Not quite sure about this one yet. It makes I suppose lore wise and sandbox wise to have an automatic ranged/precision weapon, but I’m not exactly sure where it’s niche will be. It seems possibly meant to take the DMR’s place. I also couldn’t really hit anything with it. The recoil coupled with whatever is causing the general aiming issues people seem to be having made me a little averse to picking it up. - Sniper: Mostly fine, another gun that seemed impacted by some aiming issues, but less of a problem because it’s supposed to be a challenge. Firing rate seems slightly slower than past games too. Honestly can’t have too much of an opinion cause I didn’t get my hands on it very much outside of the academy. - Rocket Launcher: Boom - Frag Grenade: Fine, but I think they should have more of a kinetic effect. Grenade jumping does not get you too far. - Plasma Pistol: Felt great to me. Definitely seemed to me to have better tracking than some of the other games. Some people think it’s tracking needs to be buffed, some people think it needs to be nerfed, I personally think it’s fine as is. Bonus points for the classic sounding hum of the overcharge. - Needler: Packs a huge punch this time. While satisfying to use, it’s a little annoying to go up against, cause you’re pretty much screwed unless you’re right next to cover. Maybe needs a very slight tracking nerf. My main issue is the with the sound design. Just like in 5, it seems too “pew-pewy”. I really think it needs a more crystalline sound. First, because the thing shoots, well, crystals. And second, it has to have a distinct audio cue as it did in past games to give players a chance to take cover. Otherwise it’s practically a guaranteed kill for people caught not facing their attacker. Far more than usual, I found myself blown to smithereens by some needler before I even knew what hit me. - Pulse Carbine: Found it pretty fun to use, and useful too. Very strong tracking, and kills in about 3 bursts, but I thought that was balanced by the slower projectiles and the fact that it won’t track unless you’re on target first. I personally think it’s fine, but wouldn’t oppose minor adjustments either. - Skewer: Cool concept, but another gun I couldn’t really hit anything with. Seems like it could be better against vehicles though. - Ravager: Couldn’t get my hands on this one too often either outside of academy. Left a fun impression though. But I can say the charged shot didn’t seem to be very useful. - Gravity Hammer: Extremely satisfying to use, and fun as hell with the grappling hook! Seems to have higher range than before, and a slightly slower swing time. I honestly thought it was stronger than in H3 or HR though. There were definitely times in those games where I didn’t get a one hit kill cause I was slightly too far away or at slightly too much an angle, and it cost me. Those things didn’t seem to weaken it as much from what I’ve seen of HI so far. I think it needs more knockback too, for both attacker and receiver. - Plasma Grenade: Pretty much the same as ever, animation could look a little less liquidy and more fiery imo, but that’s just me. - Spike Grenade: Should have more spikes imo. - Heatwave: Interesting but didn’t seem terribly useful to be honest. Horizontal mode did way too little damage to kill, vertical mode felt a little off.

I agree I don’t think the vk is well made for its niche

For the most part, the weapons were fairly well balanced relative to each other. However, relative to the map size, they didn’t work because they were too accurate. Nearly every weapon should have slightly reduced accuracy. I’m not calling for Halo 3 SMG levels of inaccuracy, but something a little more like the Halo 3 Carbine and Battle Rifle, but a touch more accurate, for the Battle Rifle in Infinite. Still plenty accurate enough to pick at people pretty far away, but forget getting super reliable “Perfect” kills at moderately long ranges. This, along with some level of increase to aim assist would make Infinite a top notch shooter with very high player engagement.

I’m thinking ~90% of Halo 3’s aim assist, tied with Halo Infinite’s miniscule bullet magnetism, and slightly reduced weapon accuracy in general, would be closer to ideal. The close range game would be a little more useful than it currently is as well, because it currently lags a little behind. After all, why risk getting close when basically all of your weapons can take them out from a safer distance? All it takes to make a slightly higher average real world TTk is a few missed shots due to slightly less accurate weapons.

Oh, and frag grenades need a small blast radius nerf.

Edit: Rate of fire nerfs could also help, if reducing accuracy doesn’t feel quite right in real life. Even a mix of the two would work. In fact, a mix of the two would probably be borderline imperceptible to most players if they didn’t know what was changed.

Commando feels like it was tested only on PC. The recoil would be manageable with keyboard and mouse, but not controller.

All power weapons save for the rocket, and skewer were too weak. With the sniper and skewer being unnecessarily difficult to use on controller.

Everything else just killed too fast. I do love that the AR is actually viable in PvP though.