Joining Mid-Game

I really hope 343 doesn’t allow this,because maybe its just me but I like to get into a lobby ready for a fresh start. Its aggravating at times getting into a game in other FPS’s and your team is way behind, but at the same time I understand it keeps the action going but I don’t think that type of system is fit for halo. I could be wrong,but I just don’t see joining mid-game as a good idea if they are considering it.

I don’t think Halo will ever have this. It doesn’t fit into the Halo aspect.

I think joining mid-game wouldn’t be too bad, if it were only for BTB.
Would having an option to turn off joining-mid game, for the people that want to start fresh work?

I hate joining mid game I want to play a game start to finish

Only on the condition to have it as a psych-profile option. Where if someone says on there “I want to be at the start of a game”, then the system will only search for matches that haven’t started yet before searching for games in progress. Or one could say “Just put me up in the fastest match”, in which case, the game would just try to get you into a lobby the fastest it can, be it in-game or not.

I agree, the whole reason i only play ranked in gears 3 is because i hate that concept in general.

I would say that having other people join the game is a bad idea, but I would like the ability to re-join a game. There have been plenty of games where I’ve gotten lagged out for some unknown reason and it would have been nice to get back into a game I was playing with my friends instead of having to wait 10 minutes for them to finish.

I see drop-in-drop-out gameplay as an absolute necessity for Halo’s future. The abundance of quitters in Reach (and by a lesser extent, Halo 3) has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I believe that excessive quitting is one of the reasons why Reach’s MM population is so low.

CoD uses it to great effect and it is one of the main reasons I play it still - you don’t have to worry about the repercussions of quitting (of which there are many) AND matchmaking times are so fast that the gaps get filled up very quickly. Yes, it is annoying when you join a 3/4 complete game but that’s really the only flaw I can see.

If it were introduced, it would be best to keep it in the social playlist and let ranked matches keep the old system.

No, it would break matchmaking.

You like joining the losing team in those games which do this? Halo makes every match feel like you’re in it to the end, leave it that way, joining a match in progress would mess it up.

They need to punish quitters in a more meaningful way.

> I see drop-in-drop-out gameplay as an absolute necessity for Halo’s future. The abundance of quitters in Reach (and by a lesser extent, Halo 3) has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I believe that excessive quitting is one of the reasons why Reach’s MM population is so low.
>
> CoD uses it to great effect and it is one of the main reasons I play it still - you don’t have to worry about the repercussions of quitting (of which there are many) AND matchmaking times are so fast that the gaps get filled up very quickly. Yes, it is annoying when you join a 3/4 complete game but that’s really the only flaw I can see.
>
> If it were introduced, it would be best to keep it in the social playlist and let ranked matches keep the old system.

You can’t compare COD to reach. COD’s matchmaking is just “good connection first, team balance last”, joining in progress doesn’t allow for team balance, you simply go into the empty slot, which most of the time is the losing team as losers quit!

The only way I could see Halo implementing it is if it was an option which could be turned off.

As long as it’s not in any Ranked Playlists, it would be an OK addition. Even though as people have stated, it’s not Halo. The additions to the game add to the fun and depth of the Gameplay, so i’m all for it.

> > I see drop-in-drop-out gameplay as an absolute necessity for Halo’s future. The abundance of quitters in Reach (and by a lesser extent, Halo 3) has left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I believe that excessive quitting is one of the reasons why Reach’s MM population is so low.
> >
> > CoD uses it to great effect and it is one of the main reasons I play it still - you don’t have to worry about the repercussions of quitting (of which there are many) AND matchmaking times are so fast that the gaps get filled up very quickly. Yes, it is annoying when you join a 3/4 complete game but that’s really the only flaw I can see.
> >
> > If it were introduced, it would be best to keep it in the social playlist and let ranked matches keep the old system.
>
> You can’t compare COD to reach. COD’s matchmaking is just “good connection first, team balance last”, joining in progress doesn’t allow for team balance, you simply go into the empty slot, which most of the time is the losing team as losers quit!
>
> The only way I could see Halo implementing it is if it was an option which could be turned off.

I’m not comparing the two, I’m just saying it’s one of the things that Infinity Ward did right. Quitting is a HUGE problem in Halo and this is one way to tackle it.

You mention “team balance”. Imagine this;
Red team takes the lead early on in the game, the score is 15-5. Blue team are demotivated, so 2 of them quit.
Now it’s 2v4, and the 2 blue guys want to finish the game. Now we have 2 scenarios;

1. In the current system, those 2 poor Blues would probably be dominated.
  2. With drop-in-drop-out gameplay, they get 2 new reinforcements and the game can now continue as 4v4.
    I see the 2nd case to be more balanced than the 1st. At least in the second case, the match has the potential to carry on as it should.

Sure, the 2 reinforcements will be of different skill to the quitters, but as I said before it should only be present in casual playlists where stats don’t matter.

> No, it would break matchmaking.
>
> You like joining the losing team in those games which do this? <mark>Halo makes every match feel like you’re in it to the end, leave it that way, joining a match in progress would mess it up.</mark>
>
> They need to punish quitters in a more meaningful way.

I also don’t like host migration, black screens and having to dashboard because half my team dropped out at the lobby splash screen.

I also don’t see how it would mess up the halo experience, as it just means your team will be evened out and there’ll be a constant flow to the game, no mid game interruptions because someone rage quitted, which completely breaks the flow of matches.

> I don’t think Halo will ever have this. It doesn’t fit into the Halo aspect.

So what you’re saying is that we shouldn’t have join in progress because we haven’t had join in progress.

Ring around the rosey!

As for a comment that’s a little more constructive, I think this would be a world idea for whatever social equivalent makes it into Halo 4. Of course in ranked it wouldn’t fly because the pretensions of competitive gaming always come before those little things we like to call “fun” but in social there is absolutely no need to make the same decision since it’s ostensibly fun which we are playing for.

In campaign and firefight, however, this is a requirement.

No mid game joining. I hate the idea of it. Halo online gaming is about teams entering a battle, and one team coming out winners. Whether you win or lose with people constantly dropping in and out is worthless, it doesn’t mean anything. People who want that may as well just play against bots if competition means that little to them.

well they need to find an answer to drop outs, there is nothing worse than people dropping out when you are losing, leaving your team with a man or two down.

> No mid game joining. I hate the idea of it. Halo online gaming is about teams entering a battle, and one team coming out winners. Whether you win or lose with people constantly dropping in and out is worthless, it doesn’t mean anything. People who want that may as well just play against bots if competition means that little to them.

The people who want to play competitively can play ranked. It’s pretty much the same system as social in previous halo games, because most people just leave when the game finishes.

Social playlists have drop in/drop out while ranked does not. I don’t know why people won’t accept this… it’s a change for the better.

yeah I wouldn’t like it at all. It would be like MW3 where you get put in a match where the score is 1200 (you are on that team) to 7300 and the other team has helicopters, AC130’s, and all sorts of other junk in the air.

Totally not fun. I can see some matches where you join mid game and the first thing you see before you get off your spawn is a rockets because the other team is spawn killing everyone who joins the match. This would be worse that those that HTO or just play objective to pad stats lol.

I would like it the way EPIC did with Gears of War 3, where you can choose quick match to join a match in progress, or another option (I don’t remember what it is) to join a new game.

The reason I say this is because of the number of times Ive ben playing Rocket Race, or invasion and my teammate left, forceing me to drive alone, or spawn all the way at the back of the map. Or when I’m playing swat with a party of 3 people on my team and they all back out. This could keep players from being “singled out” like that.

Social Playlists: Join in session, longer games. (1-75 for 4v4)
Ranked Playlists: No join in session, shorter games. (1-50 for 4v4)

I can’t believe how many people leave games in Halo: Reach. All the CoD players can automatically assume they can leave whenever they want without consequence. Players also leave because they do not like the chosen map/gametype. We absolutely NEED join in session… at least for the Social Playlists.