Joining Games in the LOSING Team!!

What the hell is going on!!!
I am sick and tired of getting put in games where someone has left and it
is 90% of the time in the losing team, and they are losing so much that
there is no way that we could possibly win!!
Why not just penalize people for leaving games and maybe people won’t leave
so much, or just stop placing people in games.
I don’t want to be placed in games no matter what stage it is in the game,
i would like to start a game at the beginning, is that to much to ask??!!!
I am mostly pissed because when you lose it goes on your performance record
and i would have liked the chance to say at the end of the game, " well at
least i tried my best for the team but we lost fair and square".
With joining games you have that taken away from you, you are put in the
place of not being able to put your full effort in and it really angers
me when i lose through no fault of my own!!
Rant over!!!..i do love the game but that part really…AAAAHhhhhhhh!!!

You normally get in the game in the beginning, and when even if you don’t, if you stick around for 10-15 minutes to finish your game, you’re in a lobby of people that will begin the next game. It sucks when you join the losing team, but a DC’d teammate back in the older Halos was pretty much a lost cause for your team because you were screwed from there on out. It’s worth the trade-off imo.

> Why not just penalize people for leaving games and maybe people won’t leave
> so much, or just stop placing people in games.

Bungie tried that in Reach. It failed spectacularly.

> I don’t want to be placed in games no matter what stage it is in the game,
> i would like to start a game at the beginning, is that to much to ask??!!!

Yeah, that can be pretty frustrating. :\

If you’re interested in the “why” aspect of this problem, you can read up on how Matchmaking searches for games to put you in. You’ll note that when the system sorts the list of sessions that it’s found, it doesn’t sort by game state (time remaining or score disparity between teams). That’s the sole cause of JIP putting people into shoddy matches.

I wonder if they could fix it… It would all depend on whether the Matchmaking servers can be aware of a match’s current state before that match has ended.

> > Why not just penalize people for leaving games and maybe people won’t leave
> > so much, or just stop placing people in games.
>
> Bungie tried that in Reach. It failed spectacularly.
>
>
>
> > I don’t want to be placed in games no matter what stage it is in the game,
> > i would like to start a game at the beginning, is that to much to ask??!!!
>
> Yeah, that can be pretty frustrating. :
>
> If you’re interested in the “why” aspect of this problem, you can read up on how Matchmaking searches for games to put you in. You’ll note that when the system sorts the list of sessions that it’s found, it doesn’t sort by game state (time remaining or score disparity between teams). That’s the sole cause of JIP putting people into shoddy matches.
>
> I wonder if they could fix it… It would all depend on whether the Matchmaking servers can be aware of a match’s current state before that match has ended.

I have done a fair bit of coding in the past and understand the concepts put forward concerning matchmaking etc and i suppose it is basically just grin and bear it and have fun, thanks for your reply and your efforts, much appreciated…:slight_smile:

They should let us decide if we want to use the JIP system or not. Like an option where you can select JIP or No JIP.

I too like to start the games at the beginning.

How to prevent joining a game in progress:

  1. Knowing if you’re about to join a game in progress.
    -You can tell if the game loads the player cards BEFORE saying “incoming”.

  2. If you see player cards go: Start -> Network -> switch it to Xbox 360 (this’ll force boot you from the lobby).

Switch back to Xbox Live in the settings and search again.

> They should let us decide if we want to use the JIP system or not. Like an option where you can select JIP or No JIP.
>
> I too like to start the games at the beginning.

Nobody wants JIP, but nobody wants someone from their team to quit and be screwed the rest of the game.

sigh
This is an unwinnable argument.

Tripod

> > They should let us decide if we want to use the JIP system or not. Like an option where you can select JIP or No JIP.
> >
> > I too like to start the games at the beginning.
>
> Nobody wants JIP, but nobody wants someone from their team to quit and be screwed the rest of the game.
>
> sigh
> This is an unwinnable argument.
>
> Tripod

Like i said, i am just going to grin and bear it, and have fun!!!

> > They should let us decide if we want to use the JIP system or not. Like an option where you can select JIP or No JIP.
> >
> > I too like to start the games at the beginning.
>
> Nobody wants JIP, but nobody wants someone from their team to quit and be screwed the rest of the game.
>
> sigh
> This is an unwinnable argument.
>
> Tripod

Personally I would rather have a teammate quit out in a tie game than me join a game with a full team who is losing by 20 kills.

Well…just don’t JIP then.

The moment you know you will JIP, set your status to Xbox 360, not Xbox live. Tadah!

> > > They should let us decide if we want to use the JIP system or not. Like an option where you can select JIP or No JIP.
> > >
> > > I too like to start the games at the beginning.
> >
> > Nobody wants JIP, but nobody wants someone from their team to quit and be screwed the rest of the game.
> >
> > sigh
> > This is an unwinnable argument.
> >
> > Tripod
>
> Personally I would rather have a teammate quit out in a tie game than me join a game with a full team who is losing by 20 kills.

That’s what YOU want, or you THINK you want, but there have been thousands of threads before Halo 4 that DEMANDED a JIP system. I’m not saying you are wrong for not wanting one, or the other people were right before for wanting one, all I’m saying is this is an age old argument of something that has changed recently and a tweak to the system would probably be better and more probably than complete deletion.

I do, however, think that if ranking systems get involved, JIP should not be in the game. I think it is fine for social playlists, however.

Tripod

> Personally I would rather have a teammate quit out in a tie game than me join a game with a full team who is losing by 20 kills.

You absolutely sure about that?

I also believe the lead matchmaking dev said on Podtacular that they are tweaking the JIP system as well to make it so that after a certain deficit you can no longer JIP or that it just won’t go towards your W/L record.

There are solutions to the JIP system, deletion just probably isn’t the best one.

Tripod

> > Personally I would rather have a teammate quit out in a tie game than me join a game with a full team who is losing by 20 kills.
>
> You absolutely sure about that?

Yes

Like Tripod said, JIP definitely can not be in any ranked playlists for obvious reasons. Knowing 343 it will be in the ranked playlists just to piss us off.

I must admit I find it funny when I join a game that’s half way done and end up with more kills than the leader by the end, that makes it worth while for me.

It is very annoying but it can be fun turning the tide and winning after joining a losing team.

I wish there was an option to disable JIP on our end. If people want to use it, great, but for people like myself I’d rather have an option rather than having to change my party options every time it looks like I’m about to join a game already in progress (it’s a great trick to avoid it at least, just annoying to have to use it so often).

> Like Tripod said, JIP definitely can not be in any ranked playlists for obvious reasons. Knowing 343 it will be in the ranked playlists just to piss us off.

Because in the adult world professional people slave away at game maintenance looking to piss people off. This is exactly how the world works, right?

Anyway…

As a longtime Halo player (and unlike others I’m not saying this to establish some kind of authority), I gotta say starting a match facing a larger team and hearing “Teammate joined!” is a breath of fresh air that sold me on JIP day one. And yes, it usually happens during the early parts of a match.

I have entered games where the larger team is already leading by a big amount; sometimes I help turn it around, sometimes I arrive in time to get the loss. But there’s more positives for me than negatives. JIP prevents lopsided games overall and I’m glad it’s in Halo 4.

Rather than think about getting a loss that you shouldn’t even be ashamed of, think about the players you’re coming in to support. This requires thinking of somebody other than yourself so it may be an alien concept. Look at the big picture.

Some ideas to be fair, as the system isn’t perfect:

  • Subtract up to 2000 points from players who quit via menu. DCs of other means would be hard to read and regulate so just leave that as is.
  • Gives bonus points to players who joined a game early on and stayed til the end.

Advice:

  • When you start a game with the smaller team, your best bet is to be defensive until help arrives. Defensive Slayer, Defensive Objective Games, all of that. When a minute passes with no teammates added, just make the best of it. Do not quit.

Yeah, unfortunately the inherent drawback to JiP is that lone wolves are frequently replacing rage quitters on teams that are dozens of kills behind. This would seem to indicate what a lot of people are claiming: there’s an obvious imbalance of skill in the lobby when teams are created.

> Yeah, unfortunately the inherent drawback to JiP is that lone wolves are frequently replacing rage quitters on teams that are dozens of kills behind. This would seem to indicate what a lot of people are claiming: there’s an obvious imbalance of skill in the lobby when teams are created.

Is that really a drawback of the game system, or something that says much about the Halo 4 community?

More than a few times posters would put blame on Halo 4 what is actually an issue with players. But this is something to be elaborated another time in another thread.