John may have a geas?

A few days ago I stumbled upon this statement on Halopedia, in reference to Primordium;

“Greg Bear has hinted at a connection between John-117 and one of the novel’s human characters”

Its been bugging me ever since; There weren’t that many Human characters in the book, namely Chakas, Riser, Vinnevra, and Gamelpar.

I fail to see how any of these characters really have a connection to John.

An obvious deduction would be Chakas’s connection possibly as Guilty Spark, however i think (and hope) there’s a little more to it than that.

Chief has always displayed an unnatural talent, a gift, which is fine, however what if an explanation for this was he was subconsciously being guided by his geas?

It couldn’t be Gamelpar, however Riser or Vinnevra could certainly be possible…

At the end of Primordium, Chakas says “One of you almost certainly carries Vinnevra’s and Riser’s old spirits within…”, and is now off in search of the Librarian to uncover his old friends, story-wise, this would establish a great conflict between Chakas and co. and chief, as I’m sure John isn’t going to willingly give up his body for some old spirit lol…

Something else that could support this came from a Anniversary terminal;

“This ring contains significant dangers, and even with your assumed legacy, I must verify the presence and pitch of your gei before allowing full access.”
—343 Guilty Spark in a transmission to the UNSC Pillar of Autumn

He then proceeds to allow them to land on the Halo… what did he possibly “verify”?..

Geas=/=Old Spirit.

Ever since i read both Cryptum and Primordium (excuse any misspelling) i started to get the idea that John has a geas and I kinda thought it would be either the Didact or Riser it would fit in the story they are building; and it would explain Johns infamous luck.

I also think this might play into Cortana’s role in Halo as well considering she has always been a geas/old spirit/companion role in the games. I believe she is either going to remain in the games as she is now or possabily we might lose her and gain an old spirit that will “guide” us through the game similar to how she did.

> Geas=/=Old Spirit.

Haha ah yeah probably should have clarified that.

To those who havent read Cryptum/Primordium; Lifepreservers (A species/type/race as such of Forerunners) such as the Librarian had/have the ability to preserve “the spirit” of someone, be they human/forerunner/possibly even precursor according to some forerunner philosophers, and genetically implant them into other beings, along with commands/instructions, that could affect many many generations, usually subconsiously guiding them along a pre-determined path set by the lifepreserver.

Pretty sloppy explanation but its kinda hard to describe.

Heres a more detailed description; Geas

> Ever since i read both Cryptum and Primordium (excuse any misspelling) i started to get the idea that John has a geas and I kinda thought it would be either the Didact or Riser it would fit in the story they are building; and it would explain Johns infamous luck.
>
> I also think this might play into Cortana’s role in Halo as well considering she has always been a geas/old spirit/companion role in the games. I believe she is either going to remain in the games as she is now or possabily we might lose her and gain an old spirit that will “guide” us through the game similar to how she did.

Im beginning to think the same. Will be quite interesting should this happen, if Johns spirit were to “Awaken” and communicate while Cortana is still around, having them talk to eachother etc would be wierd but cool.

I think Riser is definately a probable candidate, as he always displayed great leadership and wisdom, could explain where Chief gets those traits from…

Riser would also make a great guide, wether it be alongside Cortana or instead of Cortana…

Yea it would make more sense to be riser it would leave the Didact to be a separate character we could interact with and influence the story more.

My response is only this:

Remember the Halo 3 moments in campaign with what appears to be Doctor Halsey speaking…

“You will be the protector of Earth and all her colonies…”

Now think on that for a few days…

> My response is only this:
>
> Remember the Halo 3 moments in campaign with what appears to be Doctor Halsey speaking…
>
> “You will be the protector of Earth and all her colonies…”
>
> Now think on that for a few days…

Haha dont you worry i will…

Another possibility ive thought about is if the Librarian implanted herself into humanity aswell, since she loved us so much, and was supposedly on Earth when the halos were fired, and through her clever plans, became the geas of Halsey herself…

This would further add to her little quote to John there, as well as explain why Chakas has decided she isnt dead after all all of a sudden?

Would perhaps explain aslso why Chakas needs the UNSC/ONI crewmembers he has knocked out rather than killed, perhaps he needs them to help him get closer to Halsey?

> Geas=/=Old Spirit.

What? Spirit? Listen 343 don’t turn Halo into some message game,don’t put your Illuminati crap in here. Keep halo in the realm of sci-fi. No spirits, no religions, no message, keep it a good story. And thats it.

Throughout the story/stories of Halo some humans just “know” how to use forerunner terminals, or just what button needs to be pressed. I wonder if these gei or geas are tied to that somehow?
This is the first time I’m hearing about geas so I’m just wondering.
I really gotta read Crytum and Primordium…

> > Geas=/=Old Spirit.
>
> What? Spirit? Listen 343 don’t turn Halo into some message game,don’t put your Illuminati crap in here. Keep halo in the realm of sci-fi. No spirits, no religions, no message, keep it a good story. And thats it.

its in the books man, they refer to it many times and its kind of hinting towards Halo 4. try no to think of it as religion as much as the Librarian preserving life and controlling future lives with crazy Forerunner tech

> > Geas=/=Old Spirit.
>
> What? Spirit? Listen 343 don’t turn Halo into some message game,don’t put your Illuminati crap in here. Keep halo in the realm of sci-fi. No spirits, no religions, no message, keep it a good story. And thats it.

Hey dont knock it till youve read it dude. The geas/spirit thing isnt a theory its halo canon, written in the forerunner trilogy (two of the best books i have ever read), and it is sci/fi, they arent possessed by spirits, its highly advanced forerunner tech, that they dont like using because of how cruel they think it is preserving somones spirit as such after death…

As for no religion… =/ You do realise Halo is heavily based on religion’s of sort? The entire covenenant was based on religion, the forerunners are heavily religious, following thier precious mantle… ODST was possibly loosely based off dantes inferno with the circles of hell etc, theres more but im sure you get the point lol

What the truck?

> Geas=/=Old Spirit.

What? Spirit? Listen 343 don’t turn Halo into some message game,don’t put your Illuminati crap in here. Keep halo in the realm of sci-fi. No spirits, no religions, no message, keep it a good story. And thats it. Why would you even think that’s ok? Please don’t make Halo 4 like Green Lantern, too much of them trying to get they’re beliefs across it ruined something that would of been great. Stop it right now. Don’t you drag Halo down the drain because of some Yoinking crap.

> Throughout the story/stories of Halo some humans just “know” how to use forerunner terminals, or just what button needs to be pressed. I wonder if these gei or geas are tied to that somehow?
> This is the first time I’m hearing about geas so I’m just wondering.
> I really gotta read Crytum and Primordium…

haha definately man, theyre such good books, and IMO essential to truly understand forerunners, flood, and whats to come in the upcoming trilogy. Im trying to get everyone i know to read them lol, even people who arent Halo fans, theyre amazing books on thier own merit.

And im starting to believe yeah they are tied into thier geas somehow, The librarian could sort of see time differently than we percieve it, and manipulate genetic code etc to guide species towards certain paths. As far as we know, everything thats happened in Halo so far could have been all part of her plan to rid the galaxy of flood once and for all

> What the truck?
>
> > Geas=/=Old Spirit.
>
> What? Spirit? Listen 343 don’t turn Halo into some message game,don’t put your Illuminati crap in here. Keep halo in the realm of sci-fi. No spirits, no religions, no message, keep it a good story. And thats it. Why would you even think that’s ok? Please don’t make Halo 4 like Green Lantern, too much of them trying to get they’re beliefs across it ruined something that would of been great. Stop it right now. Don’t you drag Halo down the drain because of some Yoinking crap.

What? You clearly haven’t read Cryptum and Primordium.

Geas

John may have a geas, but to what extent, I have no idea. Where he would’ve gotten it from remains a mystery to me.

> John may have a geas, but to what extent, I have no idea. Where he would’ve gotten it from remains a mystery to me.

Same as Chakas and riser had thier geas “implanted” many many generations before thier births, Johns geas could have been planted within him through his very first ancestors, preserved on the ark by the librarian?

> John may have a geas, but to what extent, I have no idea. Where he would’ve gotten it from remains a mystery to me.

If I were to guess i would say that the Librarian would have placed it on him considering that I’m sure the geas would be either riser or the Didact (not saying it is only guessing) she would have special interest on those individuals and had great plans for them.

> Same as Chakas and riser had thier geas “implanted” many many generations before thier births, Johns geas could have been planted within him through his very first ancestors, preserved on the ark by the librarian?

Yet the Librarian was directly involved in those. Not so for Chief and I don’t believe they pass down from generation to generation, especially when every human was killed in the Halo Array and would be a blank slate upon being reborn by the Forerunners.

> > Same as Chakas and riser had thier geas “implanted” many many generations before thier births, Johns geas could have been planted within him through his very first ancestors, preserved on the ark by the librarian?
>
> Yet the Librarian was directly involved in those. Not so for Chief and I don’t believe they pass down from generation to generation, especially when every human was killed in the Halo Array and would be a blank slate upon being reborn by the Forerunners.

But Greg Bear said that one of his characters was related to the Spartans so there has got to be an explanation somewhere.