John-117's Promotion

We all know that John deserves a promotion, but does his iconic title as masterchief render this an impossibility?

I don’t think so, in fact; I think it would be a decent way for the chief to come out of his cocoon of the Masterchief Identity and become more than just a military rank that everyone calls him - build on his identity as John-117 rather than the masterchief… see what I’m getting at?

Why should he be promoted?

  • He has arguably the most experience in the field, fighting as one man against all odds who saved the entire galaxy and humanity four times over… so why shouldn’t he be honored and promoted for his deeds?
  • It would be a lot better than him answering to ‘commander’ Palmer who has FAAAAAAR less experience than him in the field (Yet seems to realize that and respects him A lot, going as far as mutiny against Del Rio).
  • It’s feels better to know John-117 as John who saved the galaxy, rather than ‘the masterchief who saved the galaxy’ … just feels better.

Overlord Chief?

> Overlord Chief?

(._.)

Admiral-117

At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.

Here’s a picture of it.

> > Overlord Chief?
>
> (._.)
>
> Admiral-117

Yes please.

well, wont he be transferred from Navy to the Spartan division, so wont he just have a number now :stuck_out_tongue: that would change dialogue a bit!

But in all seriousness I believe Master Chief petty officer of the Navy is the top rank a foot soldier in the Navy can attain, so it doesn’t really matter :smiley:

> At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.
>
> Here’s a picture of it.

I’ve never heard of that. And why would they promote someone who they thought was dead?

> > At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.
> >
> > Here’s a picture of it.
>
> I’ve never heard of that. And why would they promote someone who they thought was dead?

Respect, it is quite common practice in real life, that rank is real and the top rank a foot soldier in the Navy can attain in the Halo universe.

He of course deserves a promotion!

However, I don’t believe he’ll receive it. Though he’s saved mankind four times now, and the entire galaxy thrice, I suspect there’s some sinister happenings going on within ONI. They want to replace John. And they have the power to.

John is the old model, he’s outdated. He’s an Atari system compared to an Xbox One. Once Chief was presumed dead after the end of Halo 3, ONI had four years to develop a newer, better batch of war machines… to take Chief’s place.

The driving force of the UNSC, the ones who’ll decide their every move, isn’t going to promote John. Sure, some other army personnel could do it. But I think that ONI is against John. And that new ONI Spartan on the Guardians promo art? That’s 117’s replacement, IMO.

> At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.
>
> Here’s a picture of it.

Pretty sure he’s held that rank for a while.

> He of course deserves a promotion!
>
> However, I don’t believe he’ll receive it. Though he’s saved mankind four times now, and the entire galaxy thrice, I suspect there’s some sinister happenings going on within ONI. They want to replace John. And they have the power to.
>
> John is the old model, he’s outdated. He’s an Atari system compared to an Xbox One. Once Chief was presumed dead after the end of Halo 3, ONI had four years to develop a newer, better batch of war machines… to take Chief’s place.
>
> The driving force of the UNSC, the ones who’ll decide their every move, isn’t going to promote John. Sure, some other army personnel could do it. But I think that ONI is against John. And that new ONI Spartan on the Guardians promo art? That’s 117’s replacement, IMO.

I agree on all accounts except where you say John is an Atari to an Xbox One because of what the Librarian did to him - though it wasn’t of any significance in Halo 4 - and maybe it just makes him immune to the composer, but I think it’s something much more than that (since the librarian said something about faster evolution; if I recall correctly)… so he’s kind of irreplaceable.

Becoming the next “Forthencho” but not really?

> > He of course deserves a promotion!
> >
> > However, I don’t believe he’ll receive it. Though he’s saved mankind four times now, and the entire galaxy thrice, I suspect there’s some sinister happenings going on within ONI. They want to replace John. And they have the power to.
> >
> > John is the old model, he’s outdated. He’s an Atari system compared to an Xbox One. Once Chief was presumed dead after the end of Halo 3, ONI had four years to develop a newer, better batch of war machines… to take Chief’s place.
> >
> > The driving force of the UNSC, the ones who’ll decide their every move, isn’t going to promote John. Sure, some other army personnel could do it. But I think that ONI is against John. And that new ONI Spartan on the Guardians promo art? That’s 117’s replacement, IMO.
>
> I agree on all accounts except where you say John is an Atari to an Xbox One because of what the Librarian did to him - though it wasn’t of any significance in Halo 4 - and maybe it just makes him immune to the composer, but I think it’s something much more than that (since the librarian said something about faster evolution; if I recall correctly)… so he’s kind of irreplaceable.

You’re right. The Librarian boost gave him super powers, that is either solely Composition immunity or some more goodies.

However, nobody knows of this except for Cortana, who is, well… sniff sniff SOB
Sure, he could tell people. But they may think, ‘Really, man? Met a nice Forerunner lady ghost who gave superpowers? And you don’t know how to use ‘em? Pssshh, yeah right! That nuke blast is messin’ with your head!’

I guess we might have to wait for the next trio of issues from Escalation.

> > At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.
> >
> > Here’s a picture of it.
>
> Pretty sure he’s held that rank for a while.

Well Master Chief Petty Officer and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy are two different ranks. If he did have the MCPOofN rank why wasn’t it acknowledged in Halo 4?

> > > At the end of Halo 3 wasn’t he promoted to Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy?; though it was Posthumous.
> > >
> > > Here’s a picture of it.
> >
> > Pretty sure he’s held that rank for a while.
>
> Well Master Chief Petty Officer and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy are two different ranks. If he did have the MCPOofN rank why wasn’t it acknowledged in Halo 4?

Either 343i overlooked this…or they thought Bungie simply put up the wrong rank. The issue was never resolved and before we knew it Halo 4 came out confirming Chief never got a promotion.

Well, his last one was Halo 2, or maybe those were just awards, but events of Halo 2,3 and now 4? Uh yeah, promote the bro.

But don’t change his name.

> Well, his last one was Halo 2, or maybe those were just awards, but events of Halo 2,3 and now 4? Uh yeah, promote the bro.
>
> But don’t change his name.

Those were just awards.

> Becoming the next “Forthencho” but not really?

Chief of Admirals?

Since the promotion to MCPOotN was posthumous, it was probably redacted once he was discovered to be alive. There can only be one MCPOotN at one time. Besides, it isn’t a “footsoldier” position. It’s the highest non-commissioned rank achievable. It is, truly, an administrative and political position. It would be the worst thing they could ever do to John to have him at that rank. He would go around like SMA Chandler telling the UNSC that they need to work on AR 670-1 and banning tattoos…

He would plausibly transition to the officer ranks, like Kurt and Fred. Probably jump to Lieutenant Commander or something. Originally, he wasn’t going to be Master Chief anyways. Bungie decided to keep it after it sort of “stuck.”

At this point, though… I think he is a victim of his own prominence. Master Chief Petty Officer John-117 by any other name or rank… it just wouldn’t be the same.

I will say that it would be pretty cool to see this towering Spartan addressed as “Commander.”

> Well Master Chief Petty Officer and Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy are two different ranks. If he did have the MCPOofN rank why wasn’t it acknowledged in Halo 4?

I see.