Jetpacks save lives (and ruin Unfriggs)

I was wondering why everyone hated on the jetpack. After playing a few BTB games I understood. The people that hate it are often Banshee/grenade/vehicle… ummm… People with questionable morals. The Jetpack eliminates the Banshee bomb blast damage, making you virtually immune to it (unless the unthinkable happened and you were hit directly with it. In that case, hug your loved ones, the apocalypse is coming!). Revenants are also rendered nearly powerless, as are Rockets, Grenades and all other forms of explosives (barring that amazing stick from the Spartan who has his own baseball card). This causes all of these people to whine about it when it has a glaring drawback the more subtle players recognize: It makes you a huge target. A sniper can get an easy headshot and you can get team DMRed faster than you can blink. But then, vehicle “lovers” and Rocket campers wouldn’t know about that would they?

People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.

They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.

It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.

It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.

> People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
>
> They hind behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
>
> It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
>
> It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.

What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.

/thread

> > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> >
> > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> >
> > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> >
> > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
>
> What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.
>
> /thread

/head desk

You people and your cognitive skills…

> > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> >
> > They hind behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> >
> > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> >
> > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
>
> What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.
>
> /thread

maps for reach were designed AROUND jetpacks smart guy.

> > > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> > >
> > > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> > >
> > > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> > >
> > > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
> >
> > What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.
> >
> > /thread
>
> maps for reach were designed AROUND jetpacks smart guy.

Exactly.

> People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
>
> They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
>
> It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
>
> It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.

AAs drastically change the way the game is played.

Can it be fun? I Emphatically say yes, yes it very well can.

Should it have been the only way to play halo reach virtually up until now (excluding classic playlist)? No, no it shouldnt. Because halo is a FRANCHISE people buy halo games expecting certain consistancies just liek people buy COD expecting to aim down iron sights. People want their classic halo from day 1. But people also want some new stuff.

AAs were a fantastic idea, just over implemented with no other alternative. Bungie may as well made the whole game griffball to some since it really was a huge departure from traditional halo. If you dont see that well then iono.

I think 343 has hit player satisfaction right on the head. People clearly want the classics. So they gave that. But people also want new stuff as well and vice versa so they gave new spins on the maps as well.

IMO AAs shoudl live on in their own couple of playlists and gametypes in MM and FF but simply never ever at the cost of the halo we spent 10 years adoring.

One of my favorite moments when playing BTB was when a teammate Skyjacked an enemy from his Banshee. I noticed this across the map and started to fly. When he was thrown out, he took a bullet to the head, earning me a Firebird/Headshot medal and my teammate a Skyjack/Assist. I then said “The skies just got much friendlier”.

> >
> > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> >
> >
>
> AAs drastically change the way the game is played.
>
> Can it be fun? I Emphatically say yes, yes it very well can.
>
> Should it have been the only way to play halo reach virtually up until now (excluding classic playlist)? No, no it shouldnt. Because halo is a FRANCHISE people buy halo games expecting certain consistancies just liek people buy COD expecting to aim down iron sights. People want their classic halo from day 1. But people also want some new stuff.
>
> AAs were a fantastic idea, just over implemented with no other alternative. Bungie may as well made the whole game griffball to some since it really was a huge departure from traditional halo. If you dont see that well then iono.
>
> I think 343 has hit player satisfaction right on the head. People clearly want the classics. So they gave that. But people also want new stuff as well and vice versa so they gave new spins on the maps as well.
>
> IMO AAs shoudl live on in their own couple of playlists and gametypes in MM and FF but simply never ever at the cost of the halo we spent 10 years adoring.

If everyone was so concerned about the AA’s, they could have voiced their opinions in the beta, but they didn’t. AA’s are fine, almost 250 thousand people adapted to the new gameplay, only a very few need to be tweaked.

> > > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> > >
> > > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> > >
> > > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> > >
> > > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
> >
> > AAs drastically change the way the game is played.
> >
> > Can it be fun? I Emphatically say yes, yes it very well can.
> >
> > Should it have been the only way to play halo reach virtually up until now (excluding classic playlist)? No, no it shouldnt. Because halo is a FRANCHISE people buy halo games expecting certain consistancies just liek people buy COD expecting to aim down iron sights. People want their classic halo from day 1. But people also want some new stuff.
> >
> > AAs were a fantastic idea, just over implemented with no other alternative. Bungie may as well made the whole game griffball to some since it really was a huge departure from traditional halo. If you dont see that well then iono.
> >
> > I think 343 has hit player satisfaction right on the head. People clearly want the classics. So they gave that. But people also want new stuff as well and vice versa so they gave new spins on the maps as well.
> >
> > IMO AAs shoudl live on in their own couple of playlists and gametypes in MM and FF but simply never ever at the cost of the halo we spent 10 years adoring.
>
> If everyone was so concerned about the AA’s, they could have voiced their opinions in the beta, but they didn’t. AA’s are fine, almost 250 thousand people adapted to the new gameplay, only a very few need to be tweaked.

AAs are great, just not all the time, in every playlist. Add in bloom and people simply raged. Change is good just not too much all at once and not at the cost of the halo that got us hooked in the first place.

Jet pack is probably the AA that does the least damage to gameplay, Sprint and AL being the most damaging, I think jet packs are great.

If anything it should be the only AA in a match and it should be a pick up.

>
> They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
>
>

Actually, people hate jetpacks because they’re terrible.

> >
> >
> >
>
> Actually, people hate jetpacks because they’re terrible.

Love your logic. “I can’t use them so they suck.” Really, bravo on your debate skills. You’ll make an excellent lawyer.

> > If everyone was so concerned about the AA’s, they could have voiced their opinions in the beta, but they didn’t. AA’s are fine, almost 250 thousand people adapted to the new gameplay, only a very few need to be tweaked.
>
> AAs are great, just not all the time, in every playlist. Add in bloom and people simply raged. Change is good just not too much all at once and not at the cost of the halo that got us hooked in the first place.

That’s a pretty BS reply.

buudah is right, AA’s were in every playlist during the beta.

Plenty of people said “change this, adjust that” no one said to remove them all.

> > > If everyone was so concerned about the AA’s, they could have voiced their opinions in the beta, but they didn’t. AA’s are fine, almost 250 thousand people adapted to the new gameplay, only a very few need to be tweaked.
> >
> > AAs are great, just not all the time, in every playlist. Add in bloom and people simply raged. Change is good just not too much all at once and not at the cost of the halo that got us hooked in the first place.
>
> That’s a pretty BS reply.
>
> buudah is right, AA’s were in every playlist during the beta.
>
> Plenty of people said “change this, adjust that” no one said to remove them all.

I think all the clamor to remove all AAs is purely reactionary to the severe amount of change added into the game. If bleedthrough, no bloom, and bouncy or long fused nades, and 1-50 were the order of the day then i dont think AAs would have recieved nearly as much flack especially if they had their own playlist coexisting with a non AA playlist.

Like i said too much all at once.

> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Actually, people hate jetpacks because they’re terrible.
>
> Love your logic. “I can’t use them so they suck.” Really, bravo on your debate skills. You’ll make an excellent lawyer.

No need to be hostile, I’m simply stating my opinion… and the opinion of thousands of other Halo fans. Mark the word Halo and the inherent lack of the word Reach

> > > > If everyone was so concerned about the AA’s, they could have voiced their opinions in the beta, but they didn’t. AA’s are fine, almost 250 thousand people adapted to the new gameplay, only a very few need to be tweaked.
> > >
> > > AAs are great, just not all the time, in every playlist. Add in bloom and people simply raged. Change is good just not too much all at once and not at the cost of the halo that got us hooked in the first place.
> >
> > That’s a pretty BS reply.
> >
> > buudah is right, AA’s were in every playlist during the beta.
> >
> > Plenty of people said “change this, adjust that” no one said to remove them all.
>
> I think all the clamor to remove all AAs is purely reactionary to the severe amount of change added into the game. If bleedthrough, no bloom, and bouncy or long fused nades, and 1-50 were the order of the day then i dont think AAs would have recieved nearly as much flack especially if they had their own playlist coexisting with a non AA playlist.
>
> Like i said too much all at once.

The Beta was all of that at once though.

All these arguments weren’t made up until after the game was released, and they were made up by people who already left the game because they got frustrated with not being able to play H3.5

Then they get you try-hards on their band wagon to spew their hate.

Honestly, I don’t see why we need any of those changes. Reach is fine.

> > > > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> > > >
> > > > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> > > >
> > > > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> > > >
> > > > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
> > >
> > > What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.
> > >
> > > /thread
> >
> > maps for reach were designed AROUND jetpacks smart guy.
>
> Exactly.

yep reflection sure was. red team can get rocket and snipe, jetpack up to snipe and spam grenades. there is no control on this map, its nothing but rushing. h2 never had this problem. i really think that half of you people don’t understand what map control is.

> > > > > People hate jetpacks for the same reason they hate other AA’s… They can’t get used to them.
> > > > >
> > > > > They hide behind excuses like “it destroys map control” without conceding that if you lost to a jet packer, you never had map control to begin with.
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s funny because every great map has multiple ins and outs to every room and hall way. This is accepted as good map design as it discourages camping and choke point holding… but even though these haters agree with these core map design principals, they can’t wrap their mind around how a jet pack plays into that.
> > > > >
> > > > > It’s that lack of acknowledgement that has earned jetpack haters a lack of respect.
> > > >
> > > > What? Jet packs make map design irrelevant.
> > > >
> > > > /thread
> > >
> > > maps for reach were designed AROUND jetpacks smart guy.
> >
> > Exactly.
>
> yep reflection sure was. red team can get rocket and snipe, jetpack up to snipe and spam grenades. there is no control on this map, its nothing but rushing. h2 never had this problem. i really think that half of you people don’t understand what map control is.

OMG, ARE YOU SAYING A H2 MAP WAS NOT DESIGNED FOR USE WITH A JET PACK!?!?!?!

Srsly man, that’s really our point, way to prove it.

but it’s not a h2 map. ya it’s a remake but made for reach. you said reach map were design around jetpacks and now your saying oh ya a h2 map with jetpacks do break map control. reflection was just an example, many other maps are broken with jetpacks.